Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Default Air compressor for grip install/pull

G'day.

Thinking of getting an air compressor purely for grip install/pulling.

Looking for suggestions for the cheapest and smallest suitable air compressor ... Really don't think I'll have any other use aside of grips for it.

Did a forum search and found a thread or two, but all the links to viable options where either broken or dead.

I have no idea on pressure/psi rating needed etc ... So any links or suggestions for cheap/small compressors would be very welcome ... Thinking it's likely a Bunnings purchase or the like ?

Thanks in advance.
    "If it ain't broke ... Break it"

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Ryobi One+ 18v Inflator/Deflator has worked well for me over the last 4 years (especially since it is compatible with my handyman and garden care tools, including a tiny lawnmower for 120sqm of lawn).

10psi is default and good for putting on grips. Generally, use 30psi for removing grips (wrapped in a tea towel) and can crank it higher for tougher jobs.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

This one is similar to what I bought ages ago and comes with an accessory kit.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-21...r-kit_p0283490

This one is cheaper and smaller.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-6l...r-kit_p0048827

Anything on FB market place will do it.
    use the paint spray adapter to jam in the back of the grip. Been only using air since the 90's

if you are nervous.. get some arty spray adhesive that doesn't immediately set.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4-271b894a54b4

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Thanks for the info gents ... Exactly what I was after.
    "If it ain't broke ... Break it"

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    Ryobi One+ 18v Inflator/Deflator has worked well for me over the last 4 years
    Is this an April Fools joke?

I have no idea but just astounded this type of unit can push out enough air? I had looked at small units like this before but figured that aside from pumping tyres they are useless for anything else.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 20th April 2022 at 09:54 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Is this an April Fools joke?

I have no idea but just astounded this type of unit can push out enough air? I had looked at small units like this before but figured that aside from pumping tyres they are useless for anything else.
    It's great for grips and tyres, especially when picking up trailers that haven't been checked for a while. (May also minimise grip ballooning, due to slower pressure build-up.)

Useless for blowing dirt/grass/sawdust from the ute tray/garage/deck (but the leaf blower using the same battery does the job well).

No idea how effective it is for airbeds, using the high-volume/low-pressure setting.

I have a Makita 18v one dotty. Perfect for grips, MTB tyres and inflatable pools
    https://www.totaltools.com.au/179443...r-skin-dmp181z

Ryobi One+ 18v Inflator/Deflator has worked well for me over the last 4 years (especially since it is compatible with my handyman and garden care tools, including a tiny lawnmower for 120sqm of lawn).

10psi is default and good for putting on grips. Generally, use 30psi for removing grips (wrapped in a tea towel) and can crank it higher for tougher jobs.
    this one? https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-on...-only_p6210400

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    That's the one.

I use an after-market ribbed brass nozzle for the grips, but it comes with a plastic nozzle that would suffice.

I have one of these (or the couple of years old equivalent now), works great....

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-11...r-kit_p6290649
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    I have one of these (or the couple of years old equivalent now), works great....

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-11...r-kit_p6290649
    Yeah I've got this one. Grips on is fine, not ideal for stuck grips and blowing them off but can be done in the right situation.

Great for the other odd jobs around house like tyres and pools

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    Yeah I've got this one. Grips on is fine, not ideal for stuck grips and blowing them off but can be done in the right situation.Great for the other odd jobs around house like tyres and pools
    Another vote for that one That’s the one I’ve got as well
    Driver- Slazenger Bruce Devlin 1 1/2
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Irons - 2-PW Keith Knox R700
    Wedges - Wilson Jerry Pate
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Proud to use Circle"B" Sun Protection!

Sort of on topic.....any suggestions to stop grips bubbling and going way out of shape when removing with air ?.........I've never really had much luck
    Thanks

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    Sort of on topic.....any suggestions to stop grips bubbling and going way out of shape when removing with air ?.........I've never really had much luck Thanks
    Won't stop bubbling, but can reduce damage by using a piece of poly pipe or similar over the grip when removing. Even the cardboard roll from Alfoil/ Gladwrap will work in a pinch.

Blog Entries

Fold a tea towel in thirds and wrap it tightly around the grip. (Optionally, wrap some masking tape around this in three or four places to hold it, until you get the confidence.)

If you have the option, start with a low pressure (10-20psi) and twist the grip to let the air gradually break the adhesion (which is easier with a tea towel than PVC pipe). If you feel the grip starting to blister, quickly knock the valve from the grip and reassess your strategy, like applying hand pressure, where it tried to blister.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    Sort of on topic.....any suggestions to stop grips bubbling and going way out of shape when removing with air ?.........I've never really had much luck
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    Won't stop bubbling, but can reduce damage by using a piece of poly pipe or similar over the grip when removing. Even the cardboard roll from Alfoil/ Gladwrap will work in a pinch.
    Fold a tea towel in thirds and wrap it tightly around the grip. (Optionally, wrap some masking tape around this in three or four places to hold it, until you get the confidence.)

If you have the option, start with a low pressure (10-20psi) and twist the grip to let the air gradually break the adhesion (which is easier with a tea towel than PVC pipe). If you feel the grip starting to blister, quickly knock the valve from the grip and reassess your strategy, like applying hand pressure, where it tried to blister.
    Dotty's method works, just take it easy as he said. I have wrapped a towel to do the same.

Before I start, I try to assess how "stuck" the grip is by rolling it up from the bottom, as far I can. If it seems to be well glued (the evil doubled sided paper will be visible!) then I use one of these and some Metho to loosen it up as much as I can;

https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfwo...mover/p/vggrv/

I have not tried it but some say a folded wire clothes hanger can be used to do the same.

Others use a needle to inject a Hydrocarbon (Petrol, White Spirit, Metho etc) under the grip to loosen the glue first. Which is sort of the reverse of how doubled sided paper grips are installed, traditionally.

All very helpful info....cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    Dotty's method works, just take it easy as he said. I have wrapped a towel to do the same.

Before I start, I try to assess how "stuck" the grip is by rolling it up from the bottom, as far I can. If it seems to be well glued (the evil doubled sided paper will be visible!) then I use one of these and some Metho to loosen it up as much as I can;

https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfwo...mover/p/vggrv/

I have not tried it but some say a folded wire clothes hanger can be used to do the same.

Others use a needle to inject a Hydrocarbon (Petrol, White Spirit, Metho etc) under the grip to loosen the glue first. Which is sort of the reverse of how doubled sided paper grips are installed, traditionally.
    If the grip was installed with double sided tape, I squirt some turps into the shaft though the hole in the grip butt and put some pvc pipe over the grip and gently apply some pressure.

Some of the really thin OEM grips just bubble up but I would save at least 90% of grips using this method.

I just wrap a cloth over the shaft near the bottom of the grip to soak up any turps that spurts out.

It works a treat with Superstroke putter grips even though the pvc pipe doesn’t fit over some sizes.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by pt73 View Post
    If the grip was installed with double sided tape, I squirt some turps into the shaft though the hole in the grip butt and put some pvc pipe over the grip and gently apply some pressure.

Some of the really thin OEM grips just bubble up but I would save at least 90% of grips using this method.

I just wrap a cloth over the shaft near the bottom of the grip to soak up any turps that spurts out.

It works a treat with Superstroke putter grips even though the pvc pipe doesn’t fit over some sizes.
    I’m going to try the metho in the shaft method next time. I used a heat gun on the grip to warm up the double sided tape the other day and it worked a treat.

The other thing I've started to do. When I don't know if there's double sided tape. Similar to the coat hanger method, I'll use a long flat bbq skewer with some metho and force it down the grip. 99.9% breaks off the tape and then the grip won't burst or bubble from there.

Other method which is a bit slower, heat gun over the grip. But it takes longer and I find there's still a decent chance of bubbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    I’m going to try the metho in the shaft method next time. I used a heat gun on the grip to warm up the double sided tape the other day and it worked a treat.
    I've always used turps as it doesn't dry too quickly and is more "slippery".

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

I use a section of lay flat hose about 30cm long. It does the same as the pvc/poly, but allows you to grip & twist like the tea towel method.

Thread Information