Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Default Putting - line on ball?

I don't usually use an alignment line on my ball when putting. Heaps of pros do, so there's obviously something to it, I can understand that.

I've been fiddling around on my putting mat, and have discovered that I'm very good at putting a good, end-over-end roll on the ball, but not very good at lining the ball up.

How many of you use a line on the ball? Does it work? Does it annoy you from a pace of play point of view?

Any advice for lining the ball up better? I've got one of those Trident things, but didn't think it worked any better than just the ball by itself...

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

I don't use a line on the ball. I think it is more important to align the Putter, rather than the ball. I do like the Soccer Ball Callaway Balls for putting because you can see how well the ball is rolling by the pattern.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Dave Stockton recommends finding a spot in front of the ball that is in line with the intended path to the hole. In other words how Jack Nicklaus used to putt. Eyes are focused on the forward spot and do not really focus much on the ball. You then line up to that spot only and putt to the spot.

So in that case no lines at all.

Baker Finch wanted to see just the ball with no logo and focused more on that as a whole. He was an amazing putter

I use a line, I just find it keeps me focused on putting to my intended line rather than being distracted by the hole and twisting the putter at the last second. Average putts per round has dropped although partly because my chipping has also improved.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I don't draw a line on the ball, but I do line it up using the alignment print (the TP5X bit, not the Taylormade logo).
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    I don't draw a line on the ball, but I do line it up using the alignment print (the TP5X bit, not the Taylormade logo).

I draw a line on the ball, but never use it. I used a line for a very short while when my putting went Yoss-like. It helped get me back on track and the line has just been out of habit, and for identification purposes since.

Blog Entries

I use a line and use it to point towards my target. I don't use it to line my putter up however..
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I used to use the line all the time, but spent too much time fiddling around with it, only for it to probably be wrong anyway, since you supposedly don't line it up properly when you are right over it and adjusting it.

I prefer the quick clean and go now.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    I draw a line on the ball, but never use it. I used a line for a very short while when my putting went Yoss-like. It helped get me back on track and the line has just been out of habit, and for identification purposes since.
    It's not like you'd confuse it for another ball because no one else marks a line on their ball.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    It's not like you'd confuse it for another ball because no one else marks a line on their ball.
    No one I play with normally uses red so it work perfect.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I use a line after massive case of the yips. It takes a bit longer than just placing the ball down but often this can be done while partners are putting. Over time you do get quicker at aligning the line.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I go between Line/No Line - majority the time i use a line.

Originally it was after listening to a Podcast with the inventor of Quintic ball roll software and my seeming inability to start a putt online.

If I’m consistently hitting good putts during a round that miss I’ll switch to no line and try trust my instincts. One thing I’ve found if i focus on the line too much I’ll forget to hit the damn thing at the right speed.

It doesnt slow me down whatsoever though - my routine is fast.

Senior Member Major Winner

Unless you haven’t noticed in games we’ve played BYU I use 2 parallel lines.
    I used to be a single line until I found the David Peltz training balls with the parallel lines the full circumference.
    Found the parallel lines much better than a single line for alignment purposes. Has the added benefit of seeing how well your rolling it also.
    Peltz makes a kit for marking your own with parallel lines which is what I use.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Some people do this on every putt, and take so long going about it, adjusting it perfectly, backing off, adjust again, then add in practice strokes. I havent said anything because I use this technique occasionally, but gee, if you gunna take this extra time, ya gotta make it up these days i just walk off to the next tee.

My alignment is out of whack to the left and it messes with my head- could be a parallex error, so using the line helps me out on those days when I am a basket case on the greens.

But i usually only do it on long putts and also when I can line it up when someone else is putting, i dont want to feel like a hypocrite.

Otherwise i place the ball with the number towards my aim, and focus on putting through the number to a spot in front of ball. This way i dont have aim the ball accurately.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Putting is too slow.
    I don't bother with it anymore.
    I just say ' that's good'
    and pick up my ball and proceed to the next tee.
    If anyone questions me i just punch them in the face.
    It works fine for me and i get to play with different people all the time.

Senior Member Major Winner

Slow players are slow regardless of a line on a ball.

Mark the Blake

when I miss left, it normally means my eyes are beyond the ball line.
    The parallex error results in a miss left.
    If I either get my eyes back towards my feet (standing more upright or shifting my weight towards my heels) of I move the ball further away from my feet, I'll get my eyes back over the ball, or preferable just inside the line.

Quote Originally Posted by damoocow View Post
    Putting is too slow.
    I don't bother with it anymore.
    I just say ' that's good'
    and pick up my ball and proceed to the next tee.
    If anyone questions me i just punch them in the face.
    It works fine for me and i get to play with different people all the time.
    I see your point, particularly if there is a group on the tee (on a par 3). But at my current two clubs it's strictly forbidden.

As Buch Harmon notes 'that's not golf, you gotta putt those out'

Bear in mind if playing no comp/hit and giggle absolutely pick it up. Particularly if you're holding the group behind up
    Last edited by thecollective; 11th March 2022 at 04:41 PM.

Since when has it been strictly forbidden to punch someone in the face... how bad has it got there to make that rule in two clubs?
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information