Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Afl 2022

By that logic every business website that advertises its goods or services might as well not exist, since it's only there for its own purposes, and not to actually attract new customers.

Nah, of course they're not being vilified, they're only being told they're sinners going to burn in hell for being born, and apparently 38% of the population don't believe they deserve the same rights as everyone else enjoys.

Whatever he did at NAB is irrelevant. They don't have an anti gay anti abortion stance. I wonder if there'd be as much jumping up and down if the church made him choose between them and the footy club because the footy club is supportive of things they oppose.

Nobody is trying to eliminate anyone, but nobody is making them express their crazy beliefs either. They do that all on their own and then cry about it when people question or criticise those beliefs.

Society doesn't move forward if we keep accepting outdated garbage without question. Unfortunately organised religion will survive on some level as long as enough people keep doing exactly that.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey86 View Post
    Nah, of course they're not being vilified, they're only being told they're sinners going to burn in hell for being born, and apparently 38% of the population don't believe they deserve the same rights as everyone else enjoys.
    You have them confused with the Westboro Baptist Church

Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    You have them confused with the Westboro Baptist Church
    Now there's a bunch of whackjobs who seem to have crawled back under their rock. Have they picketed any funerals lately?

By that logic every business website that advertises its goods or services might as well not exist, since it's only there for its own purposes, and not to actually attract new customers.

Whatever he did at NAB is irrelevant. They don't have an anti gay anti abortion stance. I wonder if there'd be as much jumping up and down if the church made him choose between them and the footy club because the footy club is supportive of things they oppose.

Nobody is trying to eliminate anyone, but nobody is making them express their crazy beliefs either. They do that all on their own and then cry about it when people question or criticise those beliefs.

Society doesn't move forward if we keep accepting outdated garbage without question. Unfortunately organised religion will survive on some level as long as enough people keep doing exactly that.
    His "anti homosexual" stance is miles more tolerant than your anti-religious stance.

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    His "anti homosexual" stance is miles more tolerant than your anti-religious stance.
    I'm happy with ANY anti-religious stance.

Any belief built around needing an imaginary friend is dangerous.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    That's fine. Organised religion has done far more harm than good over the course of its existence, I see no reason to be tolerant of it.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

You realise how that sounds right....

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

My goodness there are some bigots in this thread.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    My goodness there are some bigots in this thread.
    I will put my hand up as a bigot, I've tried to understand the point of view, even understand the attraction, I don't want to practice it or be involved with it.........I hate AFL.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    I have some amazing friends that are members of various local churches, yet are also completely accepting of LGBTIQ+
    Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post

there is nothing special about that, all churches do, including Andrew Thorburns church.
    We'll just have to disagree on this. Won't be the first time
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    We'll just have to disagree on this. Won't be the first time
    You made a public comment, it doesnt matter to me if you agree or not.
    That's fine. Organised religion has done far more harm than good over the course of its existence
    What do you mean by that?

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    Any belief built around needing an imaginary friend is dangerous.
    Here Here! I dont know about dangerous but believing in an imaginary friend is obviously insanity.

Nah, of course they're not being vilified
    Its you doing the vilifying
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    What do you mean by that?
    Where do you want to start? Wars, genocide, rape, torture, murder, slavery, child abuse (and covering it up), psychological abuse. Obviously some of those things occur without a religious influence as well, but you've either been living under a rock or are wilfully ignorant of the needless pain and suffering these institutions have been responsible for through their existence - which is still happening today. The world would be far better off without them.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Go AFLW Hawks!!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Go AFLW Hawks!!
    Sexist.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Shouldn't they be called the Ladyhawkes??
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Where do you want to start? Wars, genocide
    Thanks, I will start with your top 2.
    Wars: there has been about 1800 wars, of which about 120 were for religious reasons, overall estimate of deaths in religious wars amount to about 2% of all wars. (source "Encyclopedia of Wars")
    Genocide: non religious governments murdered (non-battle) about 160 million people ( Stalin 80M Mao 60M Hitler 20M) in the 20th century alone, making it the bloodiest century of all history.

in the fascinating book "100 worst atrocities in history" (not the exact title but its been published with a few different ones) lists only 11 that are religious based.

The world would be far better off without them.
    Well, our western society is based on Judeo-Christian origins, that's where we get our values from, the most important ones being freedom of speech and freedom of religious association. Thats the reason why so many people want to escape other countries to live in the "west" If it wasnt for Christianity, nowhere in the world would be a decent place to live. You sure you want to live in an irreligious society like under Mao or Stalin? that went well.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

How good is this AFL chat. You need a theology masters to keep up. Still, possibly more interesting than the GF.

FWIW communism was a religion too. If so inclined check out one of the best books I’ve read in recent years. ‘Sapiens’ by Yuval Noah Harari. I’ve copied an excerpt below but read the book, it’ll blow your doors off.

https://erenow.net/common/sapiensbriefhistory/64.php
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

All of these organised religions, cults and other related nonsenses are entirely unnecessary if one simply adheres to Rule 1.

Member Club Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    All of these organised religions, cults and other related nonsenses are entirely unnecessary if one simply adheres to Rule 1.
    Thou shalt not claim a Hole in one in a social round?

No, it’s much simpler than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    How good is this AFL chat. You need a theology masters to keep up. Still, possibly more interesting than the GF.
    I'm confident that MTB or Kelsey will concede to the other one's opinion within the next few posts.

When someone gives me my opinion, likely I wont agree with it
    --
    Handy-Cap

It's a misconception that out values originated from Christianity. They existed before it and exist regardless of it because at their core they're just basic decency. I'd argue that a lot of the way of life we enjoy now is a result of people pushing back against the often controlling and restrictive nature of religious values. Christianity wasn't that far removed from modern Islam in centuries past.

So yeah, I would prefer to live in a non religious society, but that's not gonna happen in my lifetime or probably several more generations into the future, so I'd settle for them keeping their nose out of people's private lives and not trying to influence government policy/legislation - that freedom FROM religion we're also entitled to.

It's a misconception that out values originated from Christianity.
    I didnt say so, and dont think that. All Western Nations have Judaeo/Christian origins (Judeao predates Christianity by a very long time), that is the foundational core of our free society. and thats why people from non-western societies try to escape from there to here, or USA, UK etc

So yeah, I would prefer to live in a non religious society
    like North Korea, yeah awesome place to live. The Nirvana that the neo-marxists are dreaming of aint going to exist without govt control, thought police, and persecution of anyone that doesnt agree with them.

so I'd settle for them keeping their nose out of people's private lives and not trying to influence government policy/legislation - that freedom FROM religion we're also entitled to.
    Neither Andrew Thorburn nor his church nor me have done either. Yet you want him and us excluded, like Stalin did! Cant do that without blowback and Essendon is getting plenty. How many new members we reckon they have signed up because of their zealousness in promoting the rainbow at the expense of others. I'd bet they are losing more than they will gain.
    --
    Handy-Cap

St Kilda continues their history of coach sacking. What's wrong with that club?

Thread Information