Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Afl 2022

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Another entry into my file on how professional the AFL is compared to the NRL.Throbber Thorburn survives one day as CEO of Essendon............jaysus you fools, its called basic due diligence.
    Which bank was he with?Where was their due diligence

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
    Which bank was he with?Where was their due diligence
    NAB....different world in 2005 when he started.

If I recall at the time, I had more issues with him being a Kiwi than anything of a fundamentalist religious nature.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Another entry into my file on how professional the AFL is compared to the NRL.

Throbber Thorburn survives one day as CEO of Essendon............jaysus you fools, its called basic due diligence.
    Nobody had a problem when he was at the nab pumping money into the AFL.

He only joined this so called church 2 or 3 years ago. Doesn't sound like he shares the more extreme views those clowns hold but still, being the chairman or whatever he is of it does create a conflict I suppose.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

What are these extreme views that they hold?
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey86 View Post
    He only joined this so called church 2 or 3 years ago. Doesn't sound like he shares the more extreme views those clowns hold but still, being the chairman or whatever he is of it does create a conflict I suppose.
    He said as much on radio this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    What are these extreme views that they hold?
    City on a Hill (the "church"), which has equated abortion with concentration camps and claims “practising homosexuality is a sin”.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Custom Lajosi DD201 - 390g head
    GolfMap

To be fair, they also seem to be very strongly in the Ross Lyon camp of hate the sin, love the sinner so they’re not quite as extreme as some.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    City on a Hill (the "church"), which has equated abortion with concentration camps and claims “practising homosexuality is a sin”.
    Without knowing anything about what this bloke must have said or done, I thought it might be female genital mutilation or forced veiling of the women, but well there you go.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Didn't he resign from NAB in a level of disgrace after the Royal Commission? Leaving a bank due to failures in governance you oversaw hardly has you as a sterling character for managing a football club anyway.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Didn't he resign from NAB in a level of disgrace after the Royal Commission? Leaving a bank due to failures in governance you oversaw hardly has you as a sterling character for managing a football club anyway.
    Yes he did. They stole $650 million from customers, some of whom were dead, in fees for nothing, and he just brushed it off as an "accident". Putting the toxic religious BS aside, that alone should have been enough for him to not even be appointed in the first place.

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Sounds like a great bloke, lol….

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    Thats not extreme, over half the worlds people of faith agrees with these two moral positions, standard orthodox religious view and its not even exclusive to religion. The media lies about the equating of abortion to concentration camps, but thats no surprise there.

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    Without knowing anything about what this bloke must have said or done, I thought it might be female genital mutilation or forced veiling of the women, but well there you go.
    Thats a different religion, but cant discriminate against them, thats illegal.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Thats not extreme, over half the worlds people of faith agrees with these two moral positions, standard orthodox religious view and its not even exclusive to religion. The media lies about the equating of abortion to concentration camps, but thats no surprise there.
    So what the rest of us just pretend it's ok to promote that sort of toxic archaic BS do we? Or do we do what we've done with numerous other "moral positions" that are no longer accepted and stand up against it?Of course people can believe whatever they want, equally others are free to criticise harmful beliefs, it might just make some people reconsider their position. They cry about being marginalised because of their beliefs - which they choose to hold, yet they do the exact same thing to people who have no choice about who they are. But it shouldn't be a surprise really, hypocrisy is pretty much standard practice when it comes to religion. Why would the media make up something like that? It's far less of a surprise to me that a cult like that would actually hold such views. Those sorts of organisations are not exactly known for being moderate in their beliefs.

So what the rest of us just pretend it's ok to promote that sort of toxic archaic BS do we? Or do we do what we've done with numerous other "moral positions" that are no longer accepted and stand up against it?Of course people can believe whatever they want, equally others are free to criticise harmful beliefs, it might just make some people reconsider their position. They cry about being marginalised because of their beliefs - which they choose to hold, yet they do the exact same thing to people who have no choice about who they are. But it shouldn't be a surprise really, hypocrisy is pretty much standard practice when it comes to religion. Why would the media make up something like that? It's far less of a surprise to me that a cult like that would actually hold such views. Those sorts of organisations are not exactly known for being moderate in their beliefs.
    I don’t know if there’s anything in this bloke’s actions or words to indicate he shares these beliefs.

So what the rest of us just pretend it's ok to promote that sort of toxic archaic BS do we?
    Who are they promoting it too? Every quote attributed to them in the media and elsewhere is from "in house" resources. To read it you have to go looking for it.

Now when we had the vote we had to have, the lobbyists promised over and over again ( and many ozgolfers), that all they wanted is to get married and that, anyone will be free to keep their religious and moral beleifs. Well, we knew that was a lie then, and this case is proof of that again. Thorburn is not the first that they have gone for, and wont be the last.

Funny that Thorburn signed NAB up to the YES vote when he was in charge there. Seems that doesnt count for much.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    I don’t know if there’s anything in this bloke’s actions or words to indicate he shares these beliefs.
    I don't think he does either, but the cult he runs does and that's where the conflict exists.

I don't think he does either, but the cult he runs does and that's where the conflict exists.
    Does it though?

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

I see the whataboutism around Zreika making herself unavailable has already begun.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    I see the whataboutism around Zreika making herself unavailable has already begun.
    2 things can be wrong at the same time

I'm sorry? Equating abortion to concentration camps (whether you have to go looking for it or not) and "practicing homosexuality is a sin" is not extreme? But then again, you sum it up with "people of faith". ****ing idiots.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Custom Lajosi DD201 - 390g head
    GolfMap

Who are they promoting it too? Every quote attributed to them in the media and elsewhere is from "in house" resources. To read it you have to go looking for it. Now when we had the vote we had to have, the lobbyists promised over and over again ( and many ozgolfers), that all they wanted is to get married and that, anyone will be free to keep their religious and moral beleifs. Well, we knew that was a lie then, and this case is proof of that again. Thorburn is not the first that they have gone for, and wont be the last. Funny that Thorburn signed NAB up to the YES vote when he was in charge there. Seems that doesnt count for much.
    It's on their website for all to see what they stand for, that's promotion. Nobody is denying people the right to believe whatever they believe, but people also have the right not to be vilified by these morons simply for being born a certain way. The beliefs themselves have no rights, they are not magically immune from criticism or scrutiny just because they are religious in nature/origin.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    Does it though?
    I don't think you can be a leader of two organisations at the same time that have completely opposing values. If he was just a regular church member like some of the players probably are then it may be different, but how they missed or ignored how he left nab is more of an issue I would have thought.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I don't think you can be a leader of two organisations at the same time that have completely opposing values. If he was just a regular church member like some of the players probably are then it may be different, but how they missed or ignored how he left nab is more of an issue I would have thought.
    The most dangerous are the ones who hide in plain sight.

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Aye Spud Greene wants out of your beloved Giants…?

Thread Information