Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pennant Season

Member Trainee Pro

Default Pennant Season

Just wanted some opinions on this and whether I am being a bit touchy or within my rights.

I got emailed an invite to put my name forward for B scratch a couple of weeks ago. Importantly, it was sent by the club captain and the stand in capt was copied and those invited Bcc'ed.
    I responded saying I would be interested, now I only hit reply so only the capt got my response.

A few days went by and a good mate of mine said how they reached out to him and he committed to 50% of the matches. My mistake was I gave my work number on which I can receive between 30-120 calls a day.

Couple days later, the team had been finalised.

I replied to the captain suggesting in future a yes or a no would suffice, but a response is warranted as they reached out to me. Anyway, I wished them luck.

Then I got a mail from the pennant captain informing me he had rang at a certain time on a certain day, I believe him, my call history didnt go that far back. He went on to say how he had the arduous task of making 20 phone calls to different people. He then asked why I didnt ring him directly and I shouldnt be so precious!

Now that went and did it. First I suggested one phone call is not exactly a fair crack, and if anyone was being precious it was him having a sook about making 20 phone calls. Dont be the fkn captain if your not for organising!
    Most annoying IMO was the club captain whom I have a very strong opinion on never addressed any of this. He sat back silently, and be me right or wrong, he should have interjected.
    Happiness is a long walk with a putter.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Organising B and C grade pennant is a pain in the bum. making 20 phone calls is also very difficult, as half the calls dont get answered, and the missed calls ring you back when on teh phone to the next guy, it never ends. They also do have better things to do than follow up with people that didnt make the cut. all clubs will post a notice somewhere advising who was selected, there isnt any need for anyone to be told they missed out

You dont have any rights, so write it off as a learning experience and register properly next time
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Unless it is major pennant, then it is just 'big fish in a little pond'.

Doubly so, for not using email or SMS to contact the players, so they can read/reply when it best fits in with their work, family, etc.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rickie prowler View Post

Then I got a mail from the pennant captain informing me he had rang at a certain time on a certain day, I believe him, my call history didnt go that far back.

If this was the end of it I think it was all handled correctly.

But…It’s like a waiter bleating about how many tables they have to serve. Shut up, do your job or no but don’t complain to me about it.

Your captain sounds like a tool.

Thread Information