Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Putter length and type

Hi All
    Not feeling that comfortable with my putter. On the golf journey just breaking 100 now pretty consistently. I've been using a ping anser 2 putter at 34 inches. I'm yet to groove a consistent stroke and wondering if this putter is not the best to help with that. Would I better suited to a mallet style?
    Also, I chose the putter length based off my height. I'm 5'11" with no shoes on. Would it be bad if I went a 35 inch putter? If I find that more comfortable, can practice a bit longer with a more upright technique. Keen to hear if I'm on the wrong track with a 35 inch, mallet putter. Will try some in shops as well.
    Thank you!

I guess the only way to find out is to try different ones or maybe a lesson to help with the stroke and a fitting.
    Having said that I've never done any of those things, almost exclusively used blade type putters and quite comfortable with them. The main reason I miss is because I don't pick the line properly.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Pretty hard to judge something like that without seeing you putt. Got some spare cash? Buy some different putters to experiment with on a real green. Fake grass at a golf shop isn't great. Where do you live? Maybe there's an ozgolfer nearby with a collection you could try out.

Yeah that is probably the only way isn't it either fitting or on a putting green?
    I like the idea of getting on a putting green to try a couple.
    I've got a longer putter at 35 inch but not a mallet type.
    I'm in St Kilda.
    Thanks for the replies on that one as well. Very much appreciated

Senior Member Major Winner

Putter is length based on how comfy you are over the ball.
    Grab your PW and just putt with it... find that posture you like where your hands can go past your body without the lower body helping.

find that posture and you find the length...

then you have to find the weight.. cause that is always the issue...

Member Teaching Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Pdiddy24 View Post
    Yeah that is probably the only way isn't it either fitting or on a putting green?
    I like the idea of getting on a putting green to try a couple.
    I've got a longer putter at 35 inch but not a mallet type.
    I'm in St Kilda.
    Thanks for the replies on that one as well. Very much appreciated
    correct putter fitting is critical
    length of putter is fitted so your eyes sit in the right place in your posture not based on height
    different head shapes can change the way you aim
    grip size can change your stroke
    correct weight can stabilise your stroke.
    we have been doing more and more putter fitting lately as people understand how important it is
    I work for Pureform Golf and are At MGA in heatherton
    happy to help you out if you want to do a fit, no obligation to buy.
    maybe you can give a review on here after
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Aussielongdriver View Post
    length of putter is fitted so your eyes sit in the right place in your posture not based on height
    we have been doing more and more putter fitting lately as people understand how important it is
    Stephen
    I'm hoping to get back down to Victoria between Easter and ANZAC Day, once that's confirmed I might come see you, if that's alright?
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

That's all fantastic advice! I'd be keen to see how a fitting would go as well.
    Do you think technique comes before a fitting? Or a putter that is fit to build the technique around?

Also love the idea of trying with different length clubs. Mine is 34 inches and feels ok but any longer practising I get tired in the back. Admittedly I'm probably bit of a whinger and just need to condition myself. Curious of thr options out there

I'm no expert but my feeling would be to work on the technique first then get a putter fitted based on it. I'm only basing that opinion on my own experience with the full swing, recently working on a swing rebuild of sorts with a view to get fitted later. My coach thinks I'm ready to be fitted now, but new clubs are out of my budget for now so I'll just keep working on it til tax time and do it then.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey86 View Post
    I'm no expert but my feeling would be to work on the technique first then get a putter fitted based on it. I'm only basing that opinion on my own experience with the full swing, recently working on a swing rebuild of sorts with a view to get fitted later. My coach thinks I'm ready to be fitted now, but new clubs are out of my budget for now so I'll just keep working on it til tax time and do it then.
    Yeah that's a good point as well. I had one putting lesson when I got into golf 8 months ago. Mostly distance control and lining up the ball etc. Instructor said technique wasn't too bad and pretty simple. I still have no idea if what I'm doing is right or wrong now so might be worth another look. Just aim for two putts as much as I can at this stage.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Do you know what you are doing wrong or think you are doing wrong with putting? What’s the normal miss left or right? Short or long? If it’s a consistent miss much easier to work out putters to try. I have also found it I want to straighten out putting stroke putting a thick book ether side of the ball and putting thru the “gate” works pretty quick,

Yeah that's a good point as well. I had one putting lesson when I got into golf 8 months ago. Mostly distance control and lining up the ball etc. Instructor said technique wasn't too bad and pretty simple. I still have no idea if what I'm doing is right or wrong now so might be worth another look. Just aim for two putts as much as I can at this stage.
    I sometimes have trouble lining it up as well, but from a green reading aspect. Distance control is usually pretty good. I use those TP5 pix balls with a line I put on which I've found helps me line the putter up and stick to my chosen line when making the putt. My natural stroke is an arc rather than straight back and through. I'm led to believe blade putters suit that stroke which is probably why I prefer them. I don't think about it much, just line it up and hit it. The markings on the ball tell me if I've hit it square or not.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by Aussielongdriver View Post
    Stephen
    I’d add that in terms of length of putter it’s ideal to have the forearms continue on the same plane as the shaft. So you could draw a straight line from the ball to your elbow through the grip. This will dictate the ideal length and lie based on preference for where the eyes sit over the ball.

A fitting will nail this straight away.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoug10 View Post
    Do you know what you are doing wrong or think you are doing wrong with putting? What’s the normal miss left or right? Short or long? If it’s a consistent miss much easier to work out putters to try. I have also found it I want to straighten out putting stroke putting a thick book ether side of the ball and putting thru the “gate” works pretty quick,
    I had trouble leaving a lot of putts short. I think the training matt I was using was too quick compared to the greens I am on. I've worked on that a lot especially for lag putts. Now that my lag putting is just ok, need to focus a bit more on making more closer putts within 5 ft. Not too sure on my regular miss yet but will start making more of a note of this. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey86 View Post
    I sometimes have trouble lining it up as well, but from a green reading aspect. Distance control is usually pretty good. I use those TP5 pix balls with a line I put on which I've found helps me line the putter up and stick to my chosen line when making the putt. My natural stroke is an arc rather than straight back and through. I'm led to believe blade putters suit that stroke which is probably why I prefer them. I don't think about it much, just line it up and hit it. The markings on the ball tell me if I've hit it square or not.
    Do you line up the ball for long lag putts as well as shorter ones?

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    I’d add that in terms of length of putter it’s ideal to have the forearms continue on the same plane as the shaft. So you could draw a straight line from the ball to your elbow through the grip. This will dictate the ideal length and lie based on preference for where the eyes sit over the ball. A fitting will nail this straight away.
    Perfectly explained, thank you!

Do you line up the ball for long lag putts as well as shorter ones?
    Yep, all putts except the ones inside 3 or 4 feet, and the obvious off the green where I can't mark it. Using the line on the ball I've found helps me to hit the ball square and start it on the chosen line instead of being distracted by the hole and twisting the putter face on contact. I try to hole everything, if it misses it's usually close enough for the next putt to be pretty easy. If it goes in, bonus 😁

Member Teaching Pro

I had trouble leaving a lot of putts short. I think the training matt I was using was too quick compared to the greens I am on. I've worked on that a lot especially for lag putts. Now that my lag putting is just ok, need to focus a bit more on making more closer putts within 5 ft. Not too sure on my regular miss yet but will start making more of a note of this. Thank you!
    Weight will help with this

That's good to know and one of the reasons on thinking a mallet style would be better for me. On what I read anyways
    Cheers

That's good to know and one of the reasons on thinking a mallet style would be better for me. On what I read anyways
    Cheers
    You don't necessarily need a mallet to get weight. I am a bit of a putter whore, I have a really good mix of light and heavy, mallets and blades. My heaviest putter is a Scotty Cameron Newport select 2.6. Learning to read green speed is an art to be practiced, alot. There are a bunch of drills on YouTube for distance control. The first thing I do when I get on a putting green, is hit 3 balls without looking up between strokes, just roll them with your normal comfortable stroke, and step out how far they go, that will give you an indication of green speed. Practice is your friend, and so is a nice new putter

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    You don't necessarily need a mallet to get weight. I am a bit of a putter whore, I have a really good mix of light and heavy, mallets and blades. My heaviest putter is a Scotty Cameron Newport select 2.6. Learning to read green speed is an art to be practiced, alot. There are a bunch of drills on YouTube for distance control. The first thing I do when I get on a putting green, is hit 3 balls without looking up between strokes, just roll them with your normal comfortable stroke, and step out how far they go, that will give you an indication of green speed. Practice is your friend, and so is a nice new putterSent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    That's good to know thank you.I'll remember that distance control idea as well in testing greens.At the moment I basically step out 5m, 10m and 15m. And then have a putting stroke for each of those distances using different areas of my feet (inside, outside and far outside) to get an idea. This might not be that practical in the long run bit will keep at it and the advice of yours as well.

That's good to know thank you.I'll remember that distance control idea as well in testing greens.At the moment I basically step out 5m, 10m and 15m. And then have a putting stroke for each of those distances using different areas of my feet (inside, outside and far outside) to get an idea. This might not be that practical in the long run bit will keep at it and the advice of yours as well.
    Another way of doing that is varying feet width and putting foot to foot, not sure if that will be better or worse in the long run. I have a pretty narrow stance on short putts and it seems to work for me

Quote Originally Posted by bdoug10 View Post
    Another way of doing that is varying feet width and putting foot to foot, not sure if that will be better or worse in the long run. I have a pretty narrow stance on short putts and it seems to work for me
    That's another good idea as well! Cheers

Distance control for all aspects of short game (chipping & putting) takes practice.
    Putting mats are great for alignment and accelerating stroke training which also plays a part in distance control.
    To dial distance control in on the greens your playing on the day I use 3 balls on the practice Green.
    I space them out roughly 2 foot apart on the same line with the first putt 12-15 foot away (depends on how much room you have on your practice green). Also pick a putt that's relatively flat and straight without excessive breaks.
    Naturally you start with the shortest distance to hole ball first and work out to the furthest one. The focus is to get a feel for the stroke required for the length. Rinse and repeat until your satisfied.
    You could hole any after the first Putt if you need but I prefer not to Putt to many of those as the practice green see's more traffic around the holes influencing the roll of the ball with deviations giving you a false impression of your technique. I back myself that my technique is sound enough to roll them in from 3 foot and under during a round.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 11th February 2022 at 11:27 AM.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    Distance control for all aspects of short game (chipping & putting) takes practice.Putting mats are great for alignment and accelerating stroke training which also plays a part in distance control.To dial distance control in on the greens your playing on the day I use 3 balls on the practice Green.I space them out roughly 2 foot apart on the same line with the first putt 12-15 foot away (depends on how much room you have on your practice green). Also pick a putt that's relatively flat and straight without excessive breaks.Naturally you start with the shortest distance to hole ball first and work out to the furthest one. The focus is to get a feel for the stroke required for the length. Rinse and repeat until your satisfied. You could hole any after the first Putt if you need but I prefer not to Putt to many of those as the practice green see's more traffic around the holes influencing the roll of the ball with deviations giving you a false impression of your technique. I back myself that my technique is sound enough to roll them in from 3 foot and under during a round.
    Another good one that will be super helpful. Thank you I hadn't thought of the extra foot traffic on practice greens which meant perfect sense so I'll keep that I the back of mind

Thread Information