Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Default Bonville - is it worth it?

I am thinking of making the trip down to Bonville once I practice more. Right now, my game sucks.

So - those who have played it, did you get bang for your buck?

Member Trainee Pro

Short answer is yes, definitely.
    Happiness is a long walk with a putter.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rickie prowler View Post
    Short answer is yes, definitely.
    My short answer is no. Expensive and overrated.

Had a much better time at Coffs GC and Nambucca.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

My vote is YES.
    Ping G430 10K 10.5* Ping Tour 65S Shaft
    Royal Collection 18* 5 Wood
    Ping G425 3/4 Hybrid Stock Regular
    Cobra MIM King 4-GW PX LZ 5.5
    Ping Glide 3.0 56/60
    Scotty Newport

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I've been going on a yearly trip to Bonville for over 25 years so have probably played it over 100 times.

Is it worth playing.......yes, its very different to almost everything else you play, you are out in the middle of nowhere, its rare to hear/see a car, plane or person, even other golfers. The course, its OK, given you said you are making the trip down, it compares well with most of the shite in Qld including the grainy greens. The brains trust that organise my trip run it in August, not sure there is a worse month condition wise.

Bang for your buck is an issue as benno_r alluded to. We would always stay in Sawtell and drive out to the course. I understand you now need to stay on course, IMO, the accommodation is sub standard for the price. I havent slept in a single bed that small since I was 8.

Having a beer in the clubhouse aint chesp but if you get organised with eskies back at the apartment and dont eat in the restaurant you can reduce some of the costs.

Blog Entries

Yes definitely worth it, but you do need to stay at the course to get a round..
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

The website lists Monday and Tuesday are available for general public guests while Wednesday to Sunday are for in-house guests.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post

Concur

Member Trainee Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Minor_Threat View Post
    Yes definitely worth it, but you do need to stay at the course to get a round..
    When I played it I called ahead and played Saturday comp without staying at course. This was approx 4 years ago so may have changed

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    Concur
    The problem with hype is that it rarely delivers, Bonville market the course pretty hard in publications to the extent they even spam you with requests to vote for them in various surveys. The "Augusta of Australia" is straight out of some coke sniffing ad executives play book and creates an expectation that cannot possibly match the experience.

Wouldn't make a special trip to play it but its certainly a good one play maybe a weekend when combined with Coffs.

Hasnt been mentioned but its also carts only, some of the drives between the green and the next tee are massive.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Thank you all for your opinions. Sounds like it’s not worth a special trip - but to be on a multi-course road trip from Brissy.
    Srixon ZX5 9.5* Hazrdus Smoke Black 60s/ Baldo 8c Craft 9* Rogue 110msi Silver 60s
    Tour Edge Exotics 15* - Motore 70s
    Mizuno JPX HM 4 iron, bent to 19*
    Srixon ZX5 4 - 6, ZX785 7 - PW KBS Tour stiff
    Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 60*
    Odyssey White Hot Tour #7

Quote Originally Posted by davidp View Post
    Thank you all for your opinions. Sounds like it’s not worth a special trip - but to be on a multi-course road trip from Brissy.
    I'd agree with that. So many fun hidden gems on the way and in the area (Murwillumbah, Yamba, Coffs, Nambucca etc) and you could play them all for the cost of Bonville.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Cooly-Tweed River course as well.

I wasn't that fussed by Murwillumbah, but I know a lot of people like it.

Blog Entries

If you read Aus Golf Digest you would think Bonville is a 10 on the Doak scale and the greatest place to have a weekend away in Australia!
    Talk about hype!
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I have only heard good things about Bonville ( except whats written here)

Its probably be fair to say, it depends on the direction you are travelling to Bonville whether its worth it or not. If heading north, no. If heading south, yeah.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post

Its probably be fair to say, it depends on the direction you are travelling to Bonville whether its worth it or not. If heading north, no. If heading south, yeah.
    I must be missing something, given its around about half way between Sydney and Brisbane (assuming that or the coasts are your destination), seems the ideal stopping off point.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    I must be missing something, given its around about half way between Sydney and Brisbane (assuming that or the coasts are your destination), seems the ideal stopping off point.
    I think he is saying that it is better than courses to the north of it (Qld), but not to the south of it (Vic).

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Yes. Up here we have a very low bar of what a good course is, as our courses are shit.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

It’s worth seeing (once) but it’s not very good.

I have taken two trips to Bonville1st was a bucks weekend, we played a 9 hole course half way down from Brisbane to break the drive. Bonville the next day and then Sawtell last day. Stayed in an air bnb house and had a ball the whole trip but a few of the casual golfers thought it was stuck up2nd trip was for a birthday, 9 holes Bonville the day we drove down and 18 the next day.Stayed on course and was not to fussed with the accomodation.Both times it rained ☹️. I really enjoyed the course but the clubhouse, accomodation and staff didn’t really make you feel welcome.I would go again but for the money it cost wouldn’t stay on course again if possible. Depends on the type of trip you are doing I think, the bucks weekend was probably the wrong place to go
    Last edited by bdoug10; 19th January 2022 at 06:16 PM.

Sorry about the formatting on that post not sure what happened

Member Trainee Pro

The day I played Bonville I did so with 3 members, one of which was Herb Elliott the formidable olympic gold medalist and all round legend. Not being Australian by birth I did not know the royalty I was playing with. I had a great day with unassuming members who were very hospitable. The golf was terrible, but a better 4 hour bush walk is hard to find

Quote Originally Posted by bdoug10 View Post
    I have taken two trips to Bonville1st was a bucks weekend, we played a 9 hole course half way down from Brisbane to break the drive. Bonville the next day and then Sawtell last day. Stayed in an air bnb house and had a ball the whole trip but a few of the casual golfers thought it was stuck up2nd trip was for a birthday, 9 holes Bonville the day we drove down and 18 the next day.Stayed on course and was not to fussed with the accomodation.Both times it rained ☹️. I really enjoyed the course but the clubhouse, accomodation and staff didn’t really make you feel welcome.I would go again but for the money it cost wouldn’t stay on course again if possible. Depends on the type of trip you are doing I think, the bucks weekend was probably the wrong place to go
    For the OP and some balance, IMO, the staff are fantastic at Bonville. Can't think of any golf venue we get looked after better, but we are there to play golf and have a few beers.

Quote Originally Posted by rickie prowler View Post
    ... but a better 4 hour bush walk is hard to find
    And that is just between the 2nd green and third tee. I hate playing in a cart, but it must be up there with the least 'walkable' courses in Australia.

Edit: And, again to provide some balance, I have loved Bonville the few times I played it. I admit to a serious conflict of interest, as a good mate was one of the Pros there for a while, but it was still very enjoyable. Doesn't live up to the hype it tries to promote, but neither is it a dogtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Doesn't live up to the hype it tries to promote, but neither is it a dogtrack.
    I think that about sums it up. The setting is really good, but a couple of the holes are just bizarre. There are lots of solid holes, but no real standouts either.

I have heard conditioning can be pretty good, but tees and greens were pretty poor when I played it. If I happened to be in the area and got a deal, I'd be happy to give it another chance.

Thread Information