Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: 2022 PGA Tour

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    When McIlroy went 12 under or Brooks won at Erin Hills, surely it was all red then.
    I have seen 40 US open results, i cant remember em all! This one is a rarity, so was Erin Hills, which was Par72, take off the 8 shots to par they normally do, and thats the same again
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 20th June 2022 at 06:09 PM.

Member Club Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    The USGA seem to have the setup and course selection about right these days (apart from the fairway bunkers in the rough).
    Good call, it appeared tough but not stupid (other than the bunkers in the rough). Even the bunkers didn't appear to be easy outs like they are on most PGA courses.

Member Club Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ParkRoyal View Post
    This could explain why players are leaving the PGA Tour, what is this Cack-handed sorcery-

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1534642628175835136?s=20&t=KqgsVvNoI9ODYzvXlj90tg
    Only realised on re-watching a few Fitzpatrick shots that he's chipping cack handed!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by ParkRoyal View Post
    Only realised on re-watching a few Fitzpatrick shots that he's chipping cack handed!
    He's been doing this for a while and said he doesn't care if it looks stupid as it works for him and improved his scores.

Pretty sure Peter Senior did it years ago too.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by pt73 View Post
    He's been doing this for a while and said he doesn't care if it looks stupid as it works for him and improved his scores.

Pretty sure Peter Senior did it years ago too.
    Ogle also I think
    "Golf makes different creatures of us all, some worse, some better, but all enthusiastic" Evening Journal, 1897.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

When you hit 17 out of 18 greens like Fitzpatrick did, he didn't have to worry much about dodgy chipping technique.

Didn't Mint used to play off about 2 and played every shot cack-handed?

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Rory going from kicking butt to NAGA and now the leaderboard is replaced by players that only their mother would be excited to watch.

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Pathetic. In my view there are few things worse in golf journalism than the 'why haven't you won more majors?' question.

Majors aren't easy to win. Golfers don't hit bad shots deliberately just to irritate their supporters. Golf isn't as easy as they sometimes make it look.

He couldn't even nominate another player he wanted to cheer for. Off to LIV for that writer. Then he can whinge about DJ or Phil not winning every month.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Major Winner

Slightly off topic but…the German ladies masters is being played on a course that looks more linksy than the men’s Irish open. The world’s gone mad.

We know the world is mad. Check out Sand Hills GC in Nebraska. Its as "linksy" as any but its in almost the centre of USA
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by 4Puttpete View Post
    Slightly off topic but…the German ladies masters is being played on a course that looks more linksy than the men’s Irish open. The world’s gone mad.
    Get back on topic!

When I saw you had posted I thought you would probably be whingeing about how poor the field quality was at the John Deere. Which it is.

It also may be an indicator of the PGA Tour future if LIV succeed. Three weeks of 'who cares', then one week of 'we care a little bit', all while asking 'how long until the next major?'.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    Get back on topic!

When I saw you had posted I thought you would probably be whingeing about how poor the field quality was at the John Deere. Which it is.

It also may be an indicator of the PGA Tour future if LIV succeed. Three weeks of 'who cares', then one week of 'we care a little bit', all while asking 'how long until the next major?'.
    The only full PGA Tour event I care about is the major they run.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Quote Originally Posted by 4Puttpete View Post
    The only full PGA Tour event I care about is the major they run.
    The PGA Tour don’t run a major (although they will try to convince everyone that The Players is one).
    Forum needs more banter.

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    The PGA Tour don’t run a major (although they will try to convince everyone that The Players is one).
    They’ve convinced me.

Other than people not wanting to say it is, I can’t think why the others are and why The Players isn’t.

And yes, I see the hole in my argument when the only criteria to be a major is for people to call it a major.

Found out something today. In 1968 usa PGA touring professionals were fed up with the way they were treated and underpaid, so they broke away and former a rebel tour. Who would have thought that could happen. They called this new organisation the PGA Tour.

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Found out something today. In 1968 usa PGA touring professionals were fed up with the way they were treated and underpaid, so they broke away and former a rebel tour. Who would have thought that could happen. They called this new organisation the PGA Tour.
    Jack and Arnie tried to break away and start their own tour again in the 80s because they believed their earning potential was limited by having the PGA tour controlling everything and propping up the also-rans. Time is a flat circle…
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Jack and Arnie tried to break away and start their own tour again in the 80s because they believed their earning potential was limited by having the PGA tour controlling everything and propping up the also-rans. Time is a flat circle…
    Yeah. NLU did a good podcast about all this.

I could be wrong as I listened a while ago, but the break away in the 80's or whatever was quickly shut down after Jack Nicklaus had a meeting with then CEO, expressed his concerns about their extra ventures such as the TPC network of courses and all this other money making stuff, to which they showed the contract, signed by Nicklaus himself, saying that's exactly what they were told by the players to do.

The cake and eat it too scenario is they need to treat all players equally as members, but the top guys need to be paid more as they bring in more revenue.

So they do all the FedEx stuff to funnel money up top on one hand and treat every member equally on the other.

Tax free charity not for profit whatever status has it's advantages and disadvantages I guess.

The weird thing about it all is they haven't seemed to put any other option (the other league ideas or new ones) on the table. It's just basically the same tour with more (unsold) money. Less events but not drastically. And more elevated events. Same courses. Same bomb and hack golf

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Just in case people have forgotten, A Major starts today (in some views, THE Major).

Today is in fact my favourite day of golf on TV of the year, the day where we see every player tee off for the first few hours, not just the stars.

In recent years The Open has been the hardest major to predict the winner. Convention said that typical US golfers not experienced in links golf, like Collin Morikowa, don't win The Open. But he did. So I don't really have a prediction. I'll just make a few wasteful bets on my favourites, and perhaps something on Zalatoris for top 10.

Starts at 3.35pm this afternoon, with Min Woo Lee in the first group, so he'll get some early TV time.

Mito Periera at $200 to win and $40 top5 is my tip (bet) 😃

Poulters opening tee shot

Oh my

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
    Poulters opening tee shot Oh my
    Channelling his inner Ian Baker-Finch? Almost.

Poulters drop

From 1ft from fence in rough to fairway

Impressive

I'm not sure the sprinkler impeded his stance or stroke... so yeah, he did well.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
    Poulters dropFrom 1ft from fence in rough to fairwayImpressive
    He has been learning from Patrick Read I assume

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Thread Information