Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 PGA Tour

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

It's a pile in on Greg and Phil, fair enough.

The Saudi League is the villain, the PGATour the white knight, the "good" guys have triumphed. Yippee.

Hopefully it doesn't paper over the cracks in the carefully crafted PGATour image. Most weeks (certainly not Riviera) they have a boring product on average golf courses, the TV coverage is appalling, their scheduling has put smaller tours to the sword and whatever else Phil had to say (probably lost) about where the dollars flow. Presumably DJ and a few others have extracted a commitment from the PGA around money to flip on the Shark.

Anyway, well done to Jay Monahan, a non profit has been able to beat up on the oil money.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Has everyone forgotten ( i mean the golf world not you)that the only reason the WGC events exist was because Greg Norman started talking about a break away World tour. I forget how far they got with creating something or it was just talk but it was enough for the PGAtour to do something about it. Not so different from how Packer changed cricket. Or when Suncity created the first Million dollar prize event standalone from EU and US tours at a time when the US did not permit players to globetrot.

Norman isnt stupid. He just may be pushing and poking to see what he can stir up rather than actually getting this off the ground. Especially with Normans new directions on his brand and social media. I think he is playing the long game with all he does.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 22nd February 2022 at 09:54 AM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Thanks for the support MTB, we are both pleased to have you on the journey.
    Attached Images

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Has everyone forgotten ( i mean the golf world not you)that the only reason the WGC events exist was because Greg Norman started talking about a break away World tour. I forget how far they got with creating something or it was just talk but it was enough for the PGAtour to do something about it. Not so different from how Packer changed cricket. Or when Suncity created the first Million dollar prize event standalone from EU and US tours at a time when the US did not permit players to globetrot.

Norman isnt stupid. He just may be pushing and poking to see what he can stir up rather than actually getting this off the ground. Especially with Normans new directions on his brand and social media. I think he is playing the long game with all he does.
    He's not stupid, he's got Mickelson to stick his neck out by criticizing the PGATOUR and he's the one wearing all of the criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Haha! Love it.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Have you seen the YouTube video of him when PGAMemes goes to visit his house? He is a very strange fella.

Looks like we know who won that contest to find his biggest fan. Himself.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Phil Mickelson apologizes for 'reckless' Saudi golf comments, says he needs 'time away'; KPMG ends relationship with Mickelson

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/mickelson-apology-2022

Never knew that those comments were "off the record" seems every story didnt point that out, they all carried on as if Mickelson was on the microphone.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by pt73 View Post
    Phil Mickelson apologizes for 'reckless' Saudi golf comments, says he needs 'time away'; KPMG ends relationship with Mickelson

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/mickelson-apology-2022
    He apologised to the Saudis

Quote Originally Posted by 4Puttpete View Post
    He apologised to the Saudis
    He won't be playing in the Saudi International any more as they're scary motherf.....s and will dismember him just like they did to Khashoggi.

Never knew that those comments were "off the record" seems every story didnt point that out, they all carried on as if Mickelson was on the microphone.
    They weren’t off the record. He rang the author to give an on the record interview for a book about him and just unloaded. Was never any mention at the time about it being off the record. Assume he was just surprised that his quotes were released before the book came out (due out in May) and is now revising history.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

I dont know Ron, I just took his word on that. If he lied in his statement today it will be worse for him later.

The media are scum and its getting tiring having people cancelled out of existence for stuff they said or did in the past or off the record etc.
    --
    Handy-Cap

I dont know Ron, I just took his word on that. If he lied in his statement today it will be worse for him later.The media are scum and its getting tiring having people cancelled out of existence for stuff they said or did in the past or off the record etc.
    https://firepitcollective.com/askalan-mickelson-edition/

I dont know Ron, I just took his word on that. If he lied in his statement today it will be worse for him later.

The media are scum and its getting tiring having people cancelled out of existence for stuff they said or did in the past or off the record etc.
    He’s done nothing but make crap up the whole way through. The first sentence of his statement is a lie.

Dilemma

Journalist v. Figjam

Who to trust?
    --
    Handy-Cap

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Listen to Shipnuck on the Firepit yesterday. Mickleson played a massive game of bluff with 7-2 off suit and got found out.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

DilemmaJournalist v. FigjamWho to trust?
    ‘Anyone’ v FIGJAM. Always trust ‘anyone’. I love Phil for the entertainment alone. He’s taken on the FBI, the SEC and the mob, and is still standing. But taking on MBS is an unbelievably ballsy move. He should probably not visit any Saudi embassies.

So KPMG have already dumped him, I wonder if any other sponsors will follow suit.

Quote Originally Posted by pt73 View Post
    So KPMG have already dumped him, I wonder if any other sponsors will follow suit.
    Plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    ‘Anyone’ v FIGJAM. Always trust ‘anyone’. I love Phil for the entertainment alone. He’s taken on the FBI, the SEC and the mob, and is still standing. But taking on MBS is an unbelievably ballsy move. He should probably not visit any Saudi embassies.
    I’m with you. This whole saga has been the most interesting thing about the PGA Tour for a long time.

Thankfully it’s nearly major season. Bring on The Players’.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Puttpete View Post
    I’m with you. This whole saga has been the most interesting thing about the PGA Tour for a long time. Thankfully it’s nearly major season. Bring on The Players’.
    *the season of championships

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    ‘Anyone’ v FIGJAM.
    One person word against the other over what went down in that conversation.
    --
    Handy-Cap

One person word against the other over what went down in that conversation.
    I’m comfortable disbelieving Phil on this one.

I would even take a taxmans word over a journo.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information