Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

How about this one? Was just reading about 2 band vs tri band.
    https://www.harveynorman.com.au/netg...fi-system.html
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    How about this one? Was just reading about 2 band vs tri band.
    https://www.harveynorman.com.au/netg...fi-system.html
    That is the one I installed. Good price as well, slightly cheaper than JB.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

2 and a bit years of Orbi, and 100% reliability and happiness

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

I've been thinking about a 2 unit Mesh system lately. The kids have a little bit of an issue with the signal in their rooms at times - buffering etc. Particularly Jas's tv. I do have some ethernet points around the place, so all our living room devices (including chromecast) are connected via ethernet, and my sons console and pc are also via ethernet. It probably doesn't help that our modem is in the very corner of the house, and surrounded by junk.
    I have some credit at harvey norman and was looking at the TP Link Deco X20 or X60. They seemed like good value? Could place the one by the modem up on a high shelf, and the second in one of the kids bedrooms to spread it out from there?
    Would love for it to reach my shed so I could listen to internet radio, but I think that would be asking for a lot! I'm assuming the antenna's and signal strength in the mesh units would be superior to what's in the standard offered modems?
    If you have read up on Tri Band, you will have a better idea of how they work. And remember most brands/models have Ethernet Ports on their Router and Satellite(s), so you can run wire off them as well.

Here are a couple of videos on Signal Strength/Distance potential, and on Mesh Device Tiers that might be helpful;

Is a lack of wifi 6 a deal breaker these days? I only just saw that the netgear orbi I linked above doesn't have it. Granted, price is a factor too.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Is a lack of wifi 6 a deal breaker these days? I only just saw that the netgear orbi I linked above doesn't have it. Granted, price is a factor too.
    See the 2nd video I linked. It is all about the number of devices and usage. If you have a smart house, then you probably need Wifi 6. If you have 10/12 devices max and normal streaming, it would be a nice to have (at a price) but isn't critical is what I took away from that. Also some future proofing as well I guess, but at double of the price or more. I figured that I could upgrade down the track if it was needed, but they would seem to be a long way off for us.

Oh, ok. Watched the first but not much of the second.
    As much as we can is connected via ethernet, so all desktop PCs, living room tv, avr and chromecast, and gaming consoles are run wired.
    One Smart tv (soon to be another) and one chromecast, Switch, phones, tablets and laptops, 3 Google homes, vac and doorbell are the majority of the wifi. Wouldn't mind getting wifi in my shed which is about 20mtrs from where the main mesh would be (although not a bad thing either that I don't, cept local radio up here sucks).
    Lots of streaming happening here (could be 4 or 5 various streams/games going at once), but again, most will be via ethernet.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Actually, I did watch most of that! And I forgot about all the smart lights though they're run one one Phillips hue bridge.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    I just installed an Orbi system (AC3000 - RBK50) and it seems to be doing the job. Speeds seem to be pretty consistent right through both Storeys and at the extreme. About half speed at the furthest point in the Garage.

We have a premium Telstra NBN plan (100Mbps) with the original Telstra Smart Modem. The wife has been complaining about streaming speeds in other parts of the house and I have been trying to find the best solution. The biggest frustration is our premium NBN speed is lower than what we used to get on our pre-NBN Optic Cable plan that we had had since '96. We end up with FTTC NBN with the copper wire hijacked into the house (despite two optic cable lines already being installed and available). We complained but no one was interested.

So I have been exploring options. Telstra is makes big claims on its new Smart Modem, but they won't upgrade us for free. They are asking about $225 to change them over. I had already tried a couple of different Extenders, but they made only small differences. So mesh was the next option. I had started exploring best options but it was hard to separate hype from reality. Then I got this month's Choice email and they had just done a mesh test and the Orbi came out on top by a clear margin. Add the recommendations in this thread and I was convinced. JB Hifi had them on special and I had a JB Gift Voucher burning a hole, so the deal was done for not much more than the Telstra upgrade option.

So the Wife is now happier, so there is that!
    A week or so on and all is going well. I have had to do one restart, not sure why?, which fixed it straight away and no hiccups since. The App comes into use fairly often. Each time a device is connected, it tells you and checks out if it is secure and not malicious. There is a month's free security software (Bitdefender). Not sure if I will continue with it. It is on sale for $77p.a. yearly sub (which I assume will renew at full price ($140p.a.). Like a lot of "Protection" software, it seems to guild the Lily with notifications of its effectiveness.

I took the opportunity to relocate and tidy up my Modems and Router set up and consolidated them into a far corner. I was previously hardwired on my old PC, but the new one is WiFi connected (along with the Printer) and this enables more flexibility. I tested the speed on my phone (with mobile data off) at the polar opposite side of the house and upstairs and it was pretty much at 100% i.e. 95 to 100Mbps.

We ended up going with a TPLink Deco x50, and have been pretty happy so far.
    I have noticed one issue! We run a lot of our network hogging stuff off ethernet, so gaming, desktop pc's, tv, chromecast w gtv and avr are all connected via ethernet to the modem supplied by iinet, which the x50 is also connected to. But we lost the ability to cast from devices to things like the tv and chromecast (that were on ethernet) and devices couldn't see my Plex server. Unless I switched the device wifi back to the original from the modem. Then it was no issues. It also was a problem from my laptop. So I disconnected the house ethernet from the modem and connected it into a port on the x50, and that solved it.
    But I left my wife's pc connected to the modem and now I can't see it!
    I have a few other things still connecting to the modem via ethernet (philips hue bridge) and wifi (doorbell and vacuum) and they have no issues being operated via devices connected to the x50 wifi. So if those devices can be seen, why couldn't other things like pc's, tv, avr etc?
    It's all fun.

The bad news is, I don't get wifi in my workshed! But I took the second x50 down there and dang if it didn't work beautifully! Wifey isn't keen on my having internet access down there, but tempted to get a third one some time!
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Thread Information