Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Default Port Phillip Open (Vic Amatuer) Scoring

Firstly, I am not having a crack at any one player but the scoring here really confuses me. This event is the stroke play section of the Vic Am, has a handicap limit of 3 for mens field then ballotted, not sure what the max handicap that got in is..

https://www.golf.org.au/events?fbcli...rboard/3044379

Over half of the field shot +10 or worse, 9 players shot +20 or worse.

I play off 4 and feel like I have been playing shit and the worst round in my 20 is 16 over.

Is it the course is set up hard, pressure of a big event, vanity handicaps. I have always been hesitant about entering these bigger events thinking I would be way off the pace, maybe I paid too much attention to the to of the leaderboard instead of the bottom.

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Probably a combo of many a thing!
    Few of the lads from my club down there looks like it bent them over big time…
    Also good mates with Crowie and he’s in the NSW team so can play and he’s off the pace too.
    Weather was ordinary in Melbourne I think?
    Plus they aren’t playing from the members tees, lol…..

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Blog Entries

A young bloke from my club who is the best player in my state playing off +4 (and has been as lower), who has a very very fine all round game shot 84 today at Commonwealth! I haven’t seen him shoot more than 72 in the last 3 years so it would be safe to assume that the course was set up very tough! I didn’t see what the weather conditions were like but there must have been some breeze seeming only 3 blokes broke par!

I think you would need to be off scratch or better to get in to this event as this is one of the big Golf Australia events of the year!
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Agree Pete, it’s for the elite not just good club golfers.

Member Club Champion

I know most of the NSW contingent and there's not a GA of over 0.2 amongst them. One of my mates son is in the field and to quote him "it's was horribly hard, bent most of them over and f*&cked them up the a$$" after telling me that he hit is as good as he has all year and shot 7 over with an eagle and 37 putts. Apparently the greens and pin placements were treacherous

Blog Entries

Commonwealth gc has very slopey greens and a lot of the greens are angled towards one side. You need to be way out on the correct side there but poor vegetation management has meant those areas are now generally full of trees and bushes!
    Gamers

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by scratchoz View Post
    I know most of the NSW contingent and there's not a GA of over 0.2 amongst them. One of my mates son is in the field and to quote him "it's was horribly hard, bent most of them over and f*&cked them up the a$$" after telling me that he hit is as good as he has all year and shot 7 over with an eagle and 37 putts. Apparently the greens and pin placements were treacherous
    The leader shot 4 under so it can't have been that difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    Commonwealth gc has very slopey greens and a lot of the greens are angled towards one side. You need to be way out on the correct side there but poor vegetation management has meant those areas are now generally full of trees and bushes!
    That's not even close to being true.

Member Trainee Pro

This is comical. Please stop.

The cut off for entries +1.something.

You play off 4 which is good golf. I am guessing you play the majority of your rounds at your home club. The majority of this field plays in these types of events week in week out and maintain plus handicaps whilst playing a variety of courses. That means they have to shot under par a lot of the time.

I know probably a dozen people playing on this event and there is no way I would get close to these guys. I’ve played off single figures for 30 years and a lot of that time have a handicap between 1 and 3. If I play my best and they play average I might shot something close to them. But if I play average and they play average or their best it is worlds apart.

A number of guys I know belong to top courses in the country that host Australian Opens and other tournaments and they play off plus handicaps there. It’s a different game.

From what I was told last night the greens were running somewhere between 13-14, tough pins and it was blowing in the afternoon it makes for a tough day if you are not playing well. Add to it the courses were not available for practice rounds, a lot of the guys don’t have the experience on this course.

In the end the only way to found out is to go and enter the events you can get into and see how you fair.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

The handicap cutoff was 2.9.

It blew 30k's from the south which is the easiest wind at Commonwealth. Tournament green speed there are usually 13ish, so nothing unusual.

If you played too aggressively from the tee and short sided yourself all day, then of course you'll rack up a big number, but for players (supposedly) at this level some of these scores are beyond embarrassing.

somebody raised the bat yesterday; 104. Crikey!

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Toolish View Post
    I have always been hesitant about entering these bigger events thinking I would be way off the pace, maybe I paid too much attention to the to of the leaderboard instead of the bottom.
    For most of the field this is the toughest event and setup they will experience in a given year or more. Any golfer will only have 2 rounds better than their current handicap in their last 20. That means the other 18 or not so good and 12 of those very not good. A tournament like this is going to be very similar statistically.

3/4 day tournaments are therefore very difficult exponentially. the only way to learn how to perform is to play more of them. Be prepared to get smashed around a few times.

Member Trainee Pro

[QUOTE=Webster;1453904]The handicap cutoff was 2.9. I believe the players off handicaps higher than +1 were all invitees

Member Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post

In the end the only way to found out is to go and enter the events you can get into and see how you fair.
    Fair comment - have been there and done that many years ago and its very challenging. Some of the events are set up harder than an Australian Open course as its designed to identify the best all round player, rather than being a TV entertainment spectacle.

Understand that the elite amateurs are basically tour professionals in training and part of that is seeing if you have what it takes when the going gets tough. There will be some big scores posted and provided there can be learning gained from the experience, the player keeps moving forward and if not they choose something else

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

I'm not sure of conditions for the round, but playing different courses and from the tips in big tournaments brings out a lot of shakey golf.

One pro am we had here only 2 broke 80 the first day. Next day there was a 66.

I can barely take my golf to another course and have 30 points let alone go and shoot 70.

There is such also such a gap between +3 and 3 handicap. One shouldn't shoot 75+ and the other can have 90.

Pros I play with most weeks can have tough days. Goes to show that bogey free rounds / tournaments are just insane

Blog Entries

According to someone who caddied there, the greens were running 13 (on the flat), bumpy with pins tucked in difficult positions at CGC. The scores weren’t much better at KH either so maybe a tough weekend for all. The winner shot 291 (69, 74, 74, 74 = 1 over for 72 holes) to win by 2. That score in a big event says it was tough!
    Gamers

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Toolish View Post
    Firstly, I am not having a crack at any one player but the scoring here really confuses me. This event is the stroke play section of the Vic Am, has a handicap limit of 3 for mens field then ballotted, not sure what the max handicap that got in is..

https://www.golf.org.au/events?fbcli...rboard/3044379

Over half of the field shot +10 or worse, 9 players shot +20 or worse.

I play off 4 and feel like I have been playing shit and the worst round in my 20 is 16 over.

Is it the course is set up hard, pressure of a big event, vanity handicaps. I have always been hesitant about entering these bigger events thinking I would be way off the pace, maybe I paid too much attention to the to of the leaderboard instead of the bottom.
    When a former US Mid Am Champ/Masters player can't break 76 for the week, it seems to me like its tough.
    Harry Bolton is off about plus 5, has just won the NSW Country Amateur and couldn't break 74.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Blog Entries

I just saw someone raised the bat in Rnd 1 and 2, seriously what are they doing in the field? They are just hindering everyone else chopping it up..
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

Blog Entries

MT, I suggest once someone hits 10 over in a round ….the care factor drops significantly. More surprising (and they deserve some respect) is that they handed both cards in. Most ego’s wouldn’t handle that and would find a way to DQ themselves!
    Gamers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    MT, I suggest once someone hits 10 over in a round ….the care factor drops significantly. More surprising (and they deserve some respect) is that they handed both cards in. Most ego’s wouldn’t handle that and would find a way to DQ themselves!
    Agree mate, respect for handing the cards in, no doubt. Usually the embarrassment of a posting a cricket score is enough to make sure you keep grinding however.
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    When a former US Mid Am Champ/Masters player can't break 76 for the week, it seems to me like its tough.
    Harry Bolton is off about plus 5, has just won the NSW Country Amateur and couldn't break 74.
    Agree, Harrison Crowe, nephew of good mate of mine I know him well.
    NSW state player, won his club champs week before as well finished 11 @ 18 over.
    That tells me it must have been extremely tough…..

Thread Information