Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hybrid shafts..

Default Hybrid shafts..

Hi All
    Working through the maze and have nfi what I'm doing.
    Basically trying to get my 4 hybrid epic flash hybrid more consistent. Hit my 5 iron (delofted) about 140m to 150m. Have a 4 iron that will likely trade in for wedge or 3 hybrid.
    The shaft for the 4 hybrid is 65gm reg flex and 42 inch long. I'm really inconsistent with it but when i do flush one its in ball park of 160 to 170m.
    Am I 9n the right track getting a 75 to 85gm reg flex shaft that is similar or touch longer than a 4 iron of the set it is meant to replace?

So aiming for a playing length of about 39.5 inches.

Member Trainee Pro

Earlier this year I was struggling with my hybrid too. I cut mine down to the same length as what the 4 iron was meant to be in the set. Now hit it more consistent and distance matches in with my irons.

Thats good to know. Thanks so much for that.
    Will give it a go and see how it pans out

Senior Member Major Winner

Cut it to 7 iron length. Go crazy

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

42" is well over length for a 4 Hybrid. Most modern 4H would be around 39.5" to 40" max.

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    42" is well over length for a 4 Hybrid. Most modern 4H would be around 39.5" to 40" max.
    this...

42" hybrid in a 4 would be brutal.

Ok that's awesome feedback, thank you
    I'm pretty ordinary and trying to understand understand why I was so bad with that club. Whether it was a technique thing or equipment setup. Will sort that out.
    Thinking hybrids are meant to be easier to hit!.

Quote Originally Posted by Pdiddy24 View Post
    Ok that's awesome feedback, thank you
    I'm pretty ordinary and trying to understand understand why I was so bad with that club. Whether it was a technique thing or equipment setup. Will sort that out.
    Thinking hybrids are meant to be easier to hit!.
    Wedges are easy to hit - but when you make it 43 inches long - the weight and the length just ruins any chance of being consistent. 39.5-40 inches would be about right - otherwise you are just going to sky everything with too much spin and too much weight

You just want it to go as far as your three and a half iron... and you keep tweaking it until you can treat it like a tennis racket and hit everything straight or as straight as it should be for your handicap.

Blog Entries

65g reg at 42" sounds like a fairway wood shaft was Macgyver'ed into a 4h head, for a diy 7w.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Member Teaching Pro

look at doing a proper fitting, a std length 4 hybrid is 40 inches in length. there are different shaft profiles which can dramatically change results and consistency. I work for pureformgolf in Melbourne. you can send me a message if you want to ask question about fittings

That's great advice there and good points on wedge comparison. I think I struggle with height generally which def is a technique is with me I reckon.

I did get out today with a really old 3 hybrid (19 deg.) from old 2006 set when last into golf. This has a steel shaft with length of about 39.5 inches. Some shanks but a lot more better shots then I've been able to manufacture with the newer hybrid that's for sure.

Thank you for the offer for help on fitting as well. Very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussielongdriver View Post
    look at doing a proper fitting, a std length 4 hybrid is 40 inches in length. there are different shaft profiles which can dramatically change results and consistency. I work for pureformgolf in Melbourne. you can send me a message if you want to ask question about fittings
    Small threadjack - what are the hybrids you are giving scratch to low markers nowadays? Shaft combo ... im looking for ideas !

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    Small threadjack - what are the hybrids you are giving scratch to low markers nowadays? !
    Only if you look good in Skorts or have a seniors card. Good question though, i am interested in his answer too.... Ping and Mizuno,two that I know to be both ajustable for lie so can flatten em a little. Every hybrid seeems to me to be too upright for the obvious reason.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information