Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Default Wishon irons... anyone using them?

OG'ers... found this old thread https://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.ph...ghlight=wishon

...but wanted to see if there are any more recent user stories out there.

Anyone swinging Wishon irons? What model? What do you like about them? Any horror stories (apart from resale value, or lack thereof)?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Hard to get in Oz.. do you know who is still fitting them? There is a few accredited fitters but i suspect that might not be up to date.

Same for KZG
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Not sure if he's doing fittings, but the only local I know of is Craig Forth (https://www.customfitgolf.com.au/about/).

The occasional 2nd hand set pops up on the usual sites, but yes... pretty rare down under.

Member Monthly medal winner

I fit and build the Wishon gear - great stuff. 771 irons are great for those that need a bit of help with launch/distance (without jacking up lofts). The 565 irons are a great blend of reduced offset, forgiveness and thin top line. Their driver, fairway and hybrids are solid too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. I've got a cheap set of 565's on their way to me now... shafts won't be any good (I don't think) but can't wait to try the heads. From what I can find online, they are a solid club.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23 View Post
    I fit and build the Wishon gear - great stuff.
    Fascinating.. i had no idea one of us is a guru! I was interested in getting hybrids at some point due to them being heaps bendable. But that they are .335 hosels limited me. How is supply? . i spoke to KZG fitter recently and he said They got too expensive and frieght for any small order is a killer, unless he can get through some bloke in Perth
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Member Monthly medal winner

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Fascinating.. i had no idea one of us is a guru! I was interested in getting hybrids at some point due to them being heaps bendable. But that they are .335 hosels limited me. How is supply? . i spoke to KZG fitter recently and he said They got too expensive and frieght for any small order is a killer, unless he can get through some bloke in Perth
    Gday. Supply is pretty good but there are also a few delays here and there like anything in golf. Freight isn’t that bad but I guess it depends on your perspective.

The hosels are easily reamed to 0.370 so it shouldn’t limit you

Not sure about “some bloke in Perth” but I’m in Perth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Wishon convert here - have been on the bandwagon since Tom and Mary Ellen announced they were setting up their own company to the clubmaking community way back when. May be wrong but seem to recall I was his first Gold clubmaker here back in '04 or '05. Have since stepped away from clubmaking for anyone but myself these days.

Currently gaming EQ1-NX Single Length Irons, 519 SHPR Driver and 950HC Woods. Have played basically everything he's designed and still have 560MC, 555C, 550C Limited Edition, 555M, Limited Edition Wedge Set etc in the racks

Wishon was a passion business created by a guru who wanted to build the designs he believed were best in an uncompromised way when it started - the innovation, pride and quality reflected that. Tom's iron designs especially the forged gear which was amongst the first to use 5 stage forging have always been incredibly underrated.

Early Wood designs 515, 949 were amongst the first fairway woods to push the .830 COR barrier and were amazing too but haven't found the one's after to fit my game as well until the 519 driver which booted the TM big stick from the bag. Yes he offered putters and wedges but they're very much a look and feel thing. The range of Wishon branded shafts were initially very good and always represented excellent value for money for their spec.

Tom sold out to Diamond Golf a few years back as a pseudo retirement and to reduce the ever increasing workload of running your own business. He's still involved in new designs for the brand which is his forte but the operations, production, sales etc is done by the Diamond team in the UK.
    Last edited by thatguy; 22nd October 2021 at 10:20 AM.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    Nice. I've got a cheap set of 565's on their way to me now... shafts won't be any good (I don't think) but can't wait to try the heads. From what I can find online, they are a solid club.
    good clubs... used various models over the years.

they mark up easily but apart from that.. good distance control and forgiveness.

Enjoy !

A great thing about Tom Wishon is his replies to emails, forum and product pages. He really takes a lot of time to explain and tell a story. I once asked a question on his forum and he replied with a personal email about a page long!
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23 View Post
    Not sure about “some bloke in Perth” but I’m in Perth.
    Possibly golfstix. I got the impression other fitters piggyback on his imports from Kzg. Thanks for info. sadly i got my hybrid sorted for now, will be in touch when my mood swings. Essentially I like the twin rails on the hybrids and want them crazy flat. Every OEM makes everything stupid upright now.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 20th October 2021 at 09:17 AM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

A great thing about Tom Wishon is his replies to emails, forum and product pages. He really takes a lot of time to explain and tell a story. I once asked a question on his forum and he replied with a personal email about a page long! Possibly golfstix. I got the impression other fitters piggyback on his imports from Kzg. Thanks for info. sadly i got my hybrid sorted for now, will be in touch when my mood swings. Essentially I like the twin rails on the hybrids and want them crazy flat. Every OEM makes everything stupid upright now.
    How flat are we talking about?
    WITB
    Ping G430 LST 9 @10 - Tensei 1K Black 65S
    Titleist TSi2 16.5* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Ping G400 23.5 - Vista Pro 80 S or Ping i210 4 - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Ping i210 5-PW - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 60M -Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Odyssey 7S OG

Great info all, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by goonie View Post
    How flat are we talking about?
    I'm 4 degrees flat for irons according to the Gcquad

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I'm 4 degrees flat for irons according to the Gcquad
    What's the desired lie angle for your hybrids?
    WITB
    Ping G430 LST 9 @10 - Tensei 1K Black 65S
    Titleist TSi2 16.5* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Ping G400 23.5 - Vista Pro 80 S or Ping i210 4 - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Ping i210 5-PW - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 60M -Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Odyssey 7S OG

I havent done any testing on hybrids. Only done 4,6,9,S from memory on the GC4
    --
    Handy-Cap

My Sterling SL Irons are quite nice. Forgiving. Long. Nice ball flight. I've let other people hit them on the range. One guy didn't want to give them back. Also owned 752tc and they were a very nice head as well.
    Last edited by solarbear; 21st December 2021 at 07:55 PM.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Still playing my 560mc 4 - PW. Forgiving but still sweet on centre strikes. I played the 949 driver for a bit and the PCF Micro Wedges until I stopped playing often. Great advice on the forums, and, yes Tom Wishon used to post directly and even replied to one of my emails once when I was picking out my 949 driver.
    Srixon ZX5 9.5* Hazrdus Smoke Black 60s/ Baldo 8c Craft 9* Rogue 110msi Silver 60s
    Tour Edge Exotics 15* - Motore 70s
    Mizuno JPX HM 4 iron, bent to 19*
    Srixon ZX5 4 - 6, ZX785 7 - PW KBS Tour stiff
    Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 60*
    Odyssey White Hot Tour #7

Senior Member Major Winner

remarkably good irons back in the day, especially for the price . . . . I'm pretty sure I had a set of 565 blades and played them for 18 months. I think they got replaced by a set of Mizuno MP 60s . . . but I still kept them as a practice that for a long time passed that.

The only little bit of information I could recommend with those irons is to play a slightly softer shaft in them - I found it just kept the ball in the air a little bit longer.

I've had the 565's in the bag for a few rounds now and I'm really impressed. The shafts are graphite and way too light for me (still more than playable but just don't feel right - ~50g), hence my post chasing some .370 steel stiff shafts. I've got my eye on some Modus Tour 105s which will be much more my speed.

Coming from Adams CMB's the 565's are slightly larger which gives me more confidence, and being one piece forged they feel amazing... even when not pure'd. Despite their relative size they still look really nice at address too. I think once I get them re-shafted they will be in the bag for a while (he says while staring at 5+ sets of irons).

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

I've had the 565's in the bag for a few rounds now and I'm really impressed. The shafts are graphite and way too light for me (still more than playable but just don't feel right - ~50g), hence my post chasing some .370 steel stiff shafts. I've got my eye on some Modus Tour 105s which will be much more my speed.

Coming from Adams CMB's the 565's are slightly larger which gives me more confidence, and being one piece forged they feel amazing... even when not pure'd. Despite their relative size they still look really nice at address too. I think once I get them re-shafted they will be in the bag for a while (he says while staring at 5+ sets of irons).
    Well - if you ever get rid of the 555s I’m sure they could find a good home. 🙂
    Srixon ZX5 9.5* Hazrdus Smoke Black 60s/ Baldo 8c Craft 9* Rogue 110msi Silver 60s
    Tour Edge Exotics 15* - Motore 70s
    Mizuno JPX HM 4 iron, bent to 19*
    Srixon ZX5 4 - 6, ZX785 7 - PW KBS Tour stiff
    Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 60*
    Odyssey White Hot Tour #7

Thread Information