Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Default Sim2 vs mizuno hot metals

Had a game with a set of sim 2 irons and really played well, have just seen photos of the new mizuno range and they look much cleaner.

Was wondering if they would be as forgiving as a set of sim2 or more like the p790?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Sim2 vs mizuno hot metals

Hot metals are Uber forgiving, too much so in my opinion.

Anything out of the middle just flies with very low spin. Good players can impart spin on any club but for game improvers these clubs will be hard to hold greens with 7 iron up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I played 919 hot metals when I got back in to golf, took me from a ~16 handicap down to ~6. I moved them on for a similar reason to what TC said - they were fine (brilliant) when I was shooting in the 80s, but as I improved I wanted a bit more spin control - you do tend to get more "fliers" with SGI irons (but the SIM 2 will probably be similar). Would be worth hitting them and the forged (not tour) if you can.

Yeah ok I think I’m just scared now from these t200 I was fit for. Couldn’t hit them to save my self. I think it was mostly the shaft but has me second guessing my ability.Also by the time I get the sim2 delivered it will be around November as my guess a new model will come out January. With the mizuno they seem to not release as often or change the style

T200's are nice irons. They probably aren't as forgiving as SIM/Hot Metal though, probably more comparable to the Mizuno JPX 9xx forged. Sounds a bit strange to say you were fit into irons you couldn't hit to save yourself?

Trust me I couldn’t get my head around it for a while. Both my farther in law and myself went to get fitted at a place in Brisbane, both of us got set up with t200 heads my shafts px6.0 his s300.

Now swing speed for me was 80-82 with 7 iron not sure farther in law but would be slower. I went from r11 irons with stock regular shafts, he was ping g15 with stock regular shafts.

Both of us really struggled after we got them with get the ball to launch and distance was gone. He has since gone back to his pings. I went to the taylormade fitting at the airport and was told the pX6.0 do not suit my swing at all, not fast enough or steep enough. We tested sim2 and p790 with both kbs max reg and stiff, ball speed averages
    T200 95
    Sim2 reg 101
    Sim2 stiff 102
    P790 reg 102
    P790 stif 105

I got a few at 110 and 111 ball speed with both sim2 and p790

Come on tell us who fit you?

Did you still buy them after hitting them so badly at the fitting?
    WITB
    Ping G430 LST 9 @10 - Tensei 1K Black 65S
    Titleist TSi2 16.5* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Ping G400 23.5 - Vista Pro 80 S or Ping i210 4 - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Ping i210 5-PW - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 60M -Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Odyssey 7S OG

I hit them pretty good at the bay. Was with range balls and I didn’t want to know the numbers was more interested in the feel and straightness. (Didn’t want to get stuck trying to smash them all) I assumed the fitter would have been looking at that side of things.

There wasn’t even mention of trying different brand heads was told this one is perfect for you. All done I think I could hit the t200 but the shaft was the issue

Seems odd that they would fit two different swing speed/ body types into the same style shaft and same head. The taylormade bloke also picked who it was with me only saying I was fit at Vic Park.

Reason I went there was 5 years ago I went for iron fitting and was told don’t bother clubs you have are performing as well as the new stuff at the time

Member Teaching Pro

I would have thought Mizuno irons over TM irons every day of the week?
    And I play Srixon ZX5s.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoug10 View Post
    Had a game with a set of sim 2 irons and really played well, have just seen photos of the new mizuno range and they look much cleaner.

Was wondering if they would be as forgiving as a set of sim2 or more like the p790?

Have you thought of trying a different shafts in the T200s?
    WITB
    Ping G430 LST 9 @10 - Tensei 1K Black 65S
    Titleist TSi2 16.5* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Ping G400 23.5 - Vista Pro 80 S or Ping i210 4 - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Ping i210 5-PW - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 60M -Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Odyssey 7S OG

To late sold them now (for a big loss) lesson learnt. On the hunt now to try the 921 hot metals, going to take my time before I commit on new set.

Member Teaching Pro

Hot metal Pro are also excellent, or for forged, try the ZX5s, $161 at Drummonds brand new custom fit is the best value in the market at the moment.

To late sold them now (for a big loss) lesson learnt. On the hunt now to try the 921 hot metals, going to take my time before I commit on new set.

Quote Originally Posted by Planet Golf View Post
    for forged, try the ZX5s, $161 at Drummonds brand new custom fit is the best value in the market at the moment.
    nah way too much offset, Burners from circa 2012, $200 for the win

I have just booked it to palm meadows for a fitting they have mizuno and Srixon there will give them a go. Are the zx5 the comparison to sim2 and hot metal?

I have just booked it to palm meadows for a fitting they have mizuno and Srixon there will give them a go. Are the zx5 the comparison to sim2 and hot metal?
    ZX5 are forged irons, probably not quite as forgiving. Could try the ZX4 if you want really forgiving, but they're more expensive I think.

Member Teaching Pro

ZX5 would be very close to Hot Metal in Forgiveness, when I did my fitting, I did HMB, HM and HMP and went with the ZX5s due to the value for a forged offering. Mizuno has more shaft options, but Srixon had the shaft I was fit for without an upcharge. Ensure you demo the Taylormade Sim Ti Fairway wood, it is simply amazing, but I would stick with Japanese for the swords

Thanks I’ll check them out, the zx4 seem to be same price as hotmetal, I’ll put them on the list

Thread Information