Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Strike inconsistency? Just move the ball back..?!

Better players (not me) and pros (def not me) seem acutely aware of how they are striking the ball. I've always struggled with inconsistent ball striking, when my timing is on I typically deliver the leading edge right at the base of the turf behind the ball leading to a clean shot and a shallow divot, but often if I'm not quite on I'll take some ground before the ball resulting in a slightly fat strike and general inconsistency. I'm also sensitive to poor (tighter) lies. I hit it better off a soft fluffy lie.

After watching a few videos about strike consistency (suggested by a mate) I came to the conclusion that I don't control my lowpoint anywhere near well enough and that as a byproduct I almost certainly needed to move my ball position back so that I catch the ball on the descending path.

I took this thought to the range a few days ago. I started in the practice nets hitting about 40-50 balls first with wedges and moving down to 4 iron. As the ball position was now further back the instinct is that you're aiming too far right. My body naturally started compensating for this and I felt like a started turning my body through the ball to square up the clubface.* This felt great in the nets and really felt like I was compressing the ball. However the nets don't give feedback on ball flight or divot patterns so I moved to the range next. To my surprise on the range I started hitting some of the flushest irons I'd ever hit. The divot started after the ball and were much deeper than I would typically take. The results I found were game changing in my opinion and I'll be trying to ingrain these changes over the coming weeks to hopefully conclude that it wasn't a complete fluke range session.

This whole concept probably sounds obvious to most good players but if there's anyone out there that struggles with the problems I mentioned above I implore you to play with your ball position and think about where your low point is then adjust. Move the ball back and think about turning hard through the ball. Also start with small half shots first to get the feeling in the nets. Don't even worry about the direction to start with. Then work your way up to full shots and tweak your alignment, you might also find what I did in that your body starts turning better naturally.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

If you focus on the back of the ball and most of your inconsistent shots are fat, first try to shift your focus point to the top or front edge of the ball. It is worth a try before moving your stance especially if you think your ball position was correct.
    in the bag
    Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo
    RBZ tour spoon BT8M3 stiff
    HB 910 19deg Matrix O white x stiff
    Wilson staff FGV6 Tour Forged irons
    wedges trusty tour 50; 54; 58
    SC FB no1 or SC red X
    and stuff in the pocketsT7M3 S

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I changed from a "picker" to taking a divot recently, by focusing on a spot on the ground at the front edge of the ball, rather than moving my ball position.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    That's the video that my mate sent me which sparked this whole thing!Agree with the above that focal point adjustments can help but I've tried that in the past with less effectiveness. Moving the ball back (for me) created a much more consistent strike. Maybe my ball position was too far forward.
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

I've wondered about this from time to time, however the more I play the fewer bad strikes I have. I've settled on essentially one ball position for all my irons for normal shots, with the way I swing I just end up topping it if I move it too far back from just inside my lead heel. Sometimes I inadvertently stand too far from the ball and top it as a result too. Fat shots aren't really a problem, I'll hit the occasional one if I'm off balance or the ground isn't as solid as it appears. I had a lesson recently which changed my swing technique a little (will be going for more over the coming months), sometimes I don't turn through properly but it's a mental thing, I feel like I'm gonna drag it way left for some reason so I need to keep doing it and seeing the ball fly straight (which it usually does) to get rid of that mental hurdle. Something else I noticed at a practice session yesterday was that if I didn't shift my weight to the lead foot properly, I wouldn't turn through the downswing properly either and it would spray out right. I focused on shifting that weight just before the start of the downswing and got much better results both from both a striking and direction point of view. I have seen improvement in recent rounds since I've become more used to the changes. Previously my approaches from 150m in weren't all that consistent, I averaged about 30% of those shots hitting the green (not regulation, just in general), in the most recent rounds that's essentially doubled. I'm sure it'll improve more with more practice, playing, further lessons, and fitted clubs. Excited to see how I go over the next year or so.
    Last edited by Kelsey86; 8th October 2021 at 10:41 AM.

Senior Member Major Winner

if you are hitting behind the ball - you have path issues. path can be setup, posture, hands... freaking anything. You have to fix that any way you can... in my swing - i just start hitting cuts until my flight comes back... but this isnt going to work for you. What you are going to find is that on a range - you will get some timing with your hands and think it is fixed, but you will just turn to shit when you get on the course.

i would just put it on video from behind and see if you can fix it.. otherwise 2 drills will sort it, but depending on your swing pattern - these are going to feel weird.

Preset drill - just one of the best drills ever.

Split hand drill - great drill to work out just how bad your hands are.

Member Trainee Pro

The pre set drill is magic. So simple yet so very effective.
    Happiness is a long walk with a putter.

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    if you are hitting behind the ball - you have path issues. path can be setup, posture, hands... freaking anything. You have to fix that any way you can... in my swing - i just start hitting cuts until my flight comes back... but this isnt going to work for you. What you are going to find is that on a range - you will get some timing with your hands and think it is fixed, but you will just turn to shit when you get on the course.i would just put it on video from behind and see if you can fix it.. otherwise 2 drills will sort it, but depending on your swing pattern - these are going to feel weird.Preset drill - just one of the best drills ever. Split hand drill - great drill to work out just how bad your hands are.
    Cheers Virge, I tried the preset drill in the backyard today which seemed to work well. I'll get some footage of my swing soon. I do have a very inside out path, hooks and blocks are the norm with driver and long irons. I've been working over the past few months to neutralize it but it's still my main tendancy. The preset drill should help me get my takeaway on plane and I like the idea of the split hand drill to get the correct feeling of the wrists before and after impact. Great stuff.
    WITB

Quote Originally Posted by Flavzz View Post
    Cheers Virge, I tried the preset drill in the backyard today which seemed to work well. I'll get some footage of my swing soon. I do have a very inside out path, hooks and blocks are the norm with driver and long irons. I've been working over the past few months to neutralize it but it's still my main tendancy. The preset drill should help me get my takeaway on plane and I like the idea of the split hand drill to get the correct feeling of the wrists before and after impact. Great stuff.
    Those two will fix it. One teaches your hands and the other teaches path. Just try and be passive with your hips and knees unless you have some injuries.

Also keep in mind that no good golfer has an inside takeaway... like no one. outside you can loop, inside is forever shit.

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    Those two will fix it. One teaches your hands and the other teaches path. Just try and be passive with your hips and knees unless you have some injuries.Also keep in mind that no good golfer has an inside takeaway... like no one. outside you can loop, inside is forever shit.
    Roger that 😉
    WITB

Saw a video of Lee Trevino talking about this last night. I had a shocker on Sunday with a lot of thin strikes, and I'm thinking now that I inadvertently moved the ball further forward in my stance than it usually would be, it certainly wasn't deliberately 😂. I'll have a play around with the position next couple of range sessions and see how it goes.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Flavzz, are you an old flip hooker? Everything you have described sounds like me.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Flavzz, are you an old flip hooker? Everything you have described sounds like me.
    That's me Blakey! Glad I'm not alone.
    WITB

Do you also sway to the right? Common for flippers.

If thats the case consider recentering or staying centred rather than move the ball back.

check out some swing vision of Snead from front on. he recentres ( or more) just before he completes his backswing.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Do you also sway to the right? Common for flippers.

If thats the case consider recentering or staying centred rather than move the ball back.

check out some swing vision of Snead from front on. he recentres ( or more) just before he completes his backswing.
    Good point, I do sway a little. I'll take a look at some Snead footage.
    WITB

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I've always had a tendency to let the ball creep too far forward in my stance resulting in thins with my irons but recently I have committed to playing all my irons shot from the middle of my stance and I'm hitting the ball much better.

Creeping forward sounds like it could be a product of too much focus on hitting drivers on the up.
    I just don't get it when I hear others talk about their Driver swing and their iron swing.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Flavzz View Post
    Good point, I do sway a little. I'll take a look at some Snead footage.
    My issue is, that trying to remain centred, doesnt work. I found this one resonated with me. https://youtu.be/GYRCd7WMoSI

By following this the side affect is keeping centred. So that works for me. May not work for you. I might have watched 100 videos on this. now i just gotta overcome the subsequent effect of hitting the ball very low and right.

My issue is, that trying to remain centred, doesnt work. I found this one resonated with me. https://youtu.be/GYRCd7WMoSI
    Jeez, how can you take a guy seriously with hair like that and golfing in jeans.

I'm not a fan of the way he describes Hogan's position either. I feel like it would too easily lead to a reverse C.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

I never noticed the jeans Courty

Thats my initial reaction about reverse tilting too, but I am fairly sure he mentions that its impossible if you do one specific thing. It might have been "point belt buckle at trail foot"

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Just focus on re-centering. Helped me heaps, that will sort out your thin shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksEgh9qTzUU

And then for consistency. hip open when impact help me stay down long enough to hit THEN thru the ball to create much better strike, consistently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ4GjffYdcQ
    Last edited by andylo; 27th October 2021 at 02:43 PM.

Thread Information