Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

First round of club champs qualifiers, not sure how I feel about my 79. On the one hand, I'll be a few shots off the pace, but on the other I'm not too unhappy wiht a 79 when there's a quad bogey 8 on the card. Made from the middle of the fairway no less, on the 8th. Fairly happy that I managed to keep it together after that. Will need a good round next weekend.

PPPBBPPXP-PPPBBbBPP

Senior Member Major Winner

Net +9

Missed the 3 and 8 on my 2-9 bingo card.

30 points at Oxley today from 93 gross. Driver is still an issue but I have a lesson tomorrow, may work on it then but depends on his lesson plan. Putting was pretty ordinary which didn't help, robbed myself of a few points missing easy putts after nice wedges into greens.
    On the plus side I've taught myself how to play flop shots over the last few weeks, and they came off well today when I needed them.
    Next round at Gailes in the social club next Sunday

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Been an uninspiring return to golf for me in Vic.

First rd got through 12 holes before being rained off. Second round 25 points and was hitting it side ways and couldn't find the bottom of the cup with a very cold putter.

3rd game back yesterday, only had 28 points, which is very average, but I parred the last 5 holes.

Tee to green started to return, putter is still colder than a witches t#t though.
    Srixon 565 - 10.5 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon 565 - 15 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon H45 - 90gr Stiff Whiteboard
    Fourteen DI w/ SPB Stiff
    Bridgestone J15CB 4-PW SPB's Stiff
    Fourteen MT28 TS Spec 53 & 58 DG Spinner
    Piretti Cortino

GOLF Link

BENCH

Drivers/Fairways/Hybrids

Yamaha v202 9.5* - Tourspec x flex
    Sonartec SS-03
    V Steel 3wd
    V Steel 4wd Attas T3 8x
    Titleist 585h 19*

Irons
    Mizuno MP33 3-P

Putters

Ping Anser, Anser 2, Scottsdale

Wedges
    Cleveland 54
    Fourteen 48

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Comp was back after 2 months

Saturday was windy as hell, and I ended up with 32 points with no luck.

Sunday's are now a 9 hole comp off the white course

When you have 3 shots, and use them to make a triple, a double and a bogey, it's gonna be a tough day

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

34 points yesterday, game was solid but let myself down with 3 penalty strokes. The putter was solid but just couldn't make a birdie despite hitting 8 GIR.

**** golf.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    **** golf.
    On a Monday?

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    **** golf.
    New putter obviously not enough to save the round!
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

Quote Originally Posted by 4Puttpete View Post
    On a Monday?
    Every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve57 View Post
    New putter obviously not enough to save the round!
    Driver, and my underwhelming basic fitness / hydration levels. Problematic.
    Last edited by LeftyHoges; 18th October 2021 at 08:36 PM.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I scored 24 points today, and I've never been so happy with such a low score.

This thread https://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.ph...s-Thread/page2, and post 39 in particular, explains where I was at, for those who are puzzled by my positivity.

I got the green light to start golf again last week, with instructions to take it slowly and easily. I was sore for a few days, but found a slightly less painful method, and decided to jump in at the deep end and play today.

I was making half backswings and trying not to use much body movement and follow through. It's my right hip that hurts and is stopping a full range of movement. So, it was 3 hybrid half swings off the tee, and mostly more 3 hybrids, then chip and run from inside about 70m. The really good 3 hybrids were going about 150 if I timed the strike perfectly.

In the end, I got the technique worked out and hit a few really good shots, and it turned out to be quite frustrating to take two in a bunker on 17, and then 3 putt 18 to finish wipe wipe.

So far, my injury doesn't feel any worse, so I may have survived.

For anyone struggling with their motivation, may I recommend having an enforced break due to injury, when you can't play golf even if you want to. It makes you really want to start playing again, and you enjoy the good ones so much more when you hit them.

I can't wait to get back out there, but I know I can't rush things.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post

This thread https://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.ph...s-Thread/page2, and post 39 in particular, explains where I was at, for those who are puzzled by my positivity.

I got the green light to start golf again last week, with instructions to take it slowly and easily. I was sore for a few days, but found a slightly less painful method, and decided to jump in at the deep end and play today.

I was making half backswings and trying not to use much body movement and follow through. It's my right hip that hurts and is stopping a full range of movement. So, it was 3 hybrid half swings off the tee, and mostly more 3 hybrids, then chip and run from inside about 70m. The really good 3 hybrids were going about 150 if I timed the strike perfectly.

In the end, I got the technique worked out and hit a few really good shots, and it turned out to be quite frustrating to take two in a bunker on 17, and then 3 putt 18 to finish wipe wipe.

For anyone struggling with their motivation, may I recommend having an enforced break due to injury, when you can't play golf even if you want to. It makes you really want to start playing again, and you enjoy the good ones so much more when you hit them.

Next stop, Friday night dances at the rissole?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post

'Well its golf Jim but not as we know it'

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    'Well its golf Jim but not as we know it'
    It might be a proper preview of golf as a genuine senior. I had to use a cart, I was just bunting the ball down the fairway, putting whenever I could within 5 metres of the green, and when the ball got into the hole, I couldn't fully bend over to get the ball out of the hole.

I'm tempted to ask in the pro shop whether anyone has one of those suction cups or hooks you put on the end of your putter to retrieve the ball from the hole. My pro shop hasn't got any. I asked.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Friday comp at Thaxted today. 34 points off 11. Played pretty well despite the first 7 holes. Played 8-17 in +2 so that was nice.
    BBBBBXDPP PPBPBPBbD

I think my practice on the range is paying off. Also a few tweaks in the bag appear to be working.
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default WDYSTM - October 2021

17/10/2021, Wolston Park, Social.

SG vs Scratch: Driving -3.5, Approach -6.3, Short -1.6, Putting -1.8 => -13.2.
    Score: BPBBBPBPP PBPPPXXXB; 40:42:82 (+5:+10:+15).
    Played to 18.0. SCH: 8.6 (-0.0).

Busy week, so I hadn't had the chance to offload my round until now. I wasn't playing that well, but managed to keep the scorecard tidy with only pars and bogeys for the first 14. I was enjoying trying to put a bit more swing speed into the driver, with good results overall, after a backyard session swinging hard during the week, and range session the day before.

Unfortunately, I had a little disaster run after 14, which isn't the first time recently.
    15 - Put a hybrid down the right side of the fairway, but the ball could not be found. Guy behind hits up on us. Double.
    16 - Pulled tee shot to adjoining fairway, then rush chunked a chip on the next hole's adjoining fairway trying not to hold up the single in front of us, who was slow. Double.
    17 - To kick me while down, the attached photo was the result of my next drive.

Unplayable. Drop. Guy behind hits over my position. Hit back in play, shank wedge approach, mentally give the hole away. Quadruple.

It is a struggle playing Sunday golf as a pair behind the slow social players, particularly an afternoon round. The greens are chopped up by then, so some good putts aren't rewarded. We are considering taking the drastic measure of playing in the comp on Saturday instead.

Next round: First off at Wolly World tomorrow, so it will be a fast front nine and potentially torturous back nine.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

83 off the stick for 35 points, with 3 7s

My punch out game needs work. Every fairway missed was a double after the ball came back to me on my second.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Scraped in to 8th (and last) place for our club champs finals. Playing the #1 qualifier (last year's champ) tomorrow. Will need to play better than I played today.

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    Scraped in to 8th (and last) place for our club champs finals. Playing the #1 qualifier (last year's champ) tomorrow. Will need to play better than I played today.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    Good luck mate!
    WITB

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

How good is golf. Fi ally got out today with some of the Olinda members, we played some match play as comp is a no go ATM.I gave 36 shots to one player and 7 to another. All up I played well, beat the first player on the 12th, and went on to beat the second player 2up. Considering no golf for 4 months, my short game was on song, with a new putter grip and stroke to help with the chipping.
    1 birdie
    10 over , 81/71
    23 putts(no concedes)
    7/8 up and downs

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Had a personal best today at Thaxted and one of my best rounds ever.
    41 points off 12, (41 front /38 back) 79 (+7) off the stick.
    Putted great and did enough everywhere else to put a decent score together.
    2 birdies
    8 pars
    7 bogeys
    1 double

BbBBPPBPD BPPPPbBPB

I feel like this has been a long time coming. Starting to hit the ball well especially off the tee and getting up and down more often. Overall very happy and hoping to consolidate this with a few more sub 80 rounds in the near future.
    WITB

Nice one, Flavzz

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Flavzz View Post
    Had a personal best today at Thaxted and one of my best rounds ever.
    41 points off 12, (41 front /38 back) 79 (+7) off the stick.
    Putted great and did enough everywhere else to put a decent score together.
    2 birdies
    8 pars
    7 bogeys
    1 double

BbBBPPBPD BPPPPbBPB

I feel like this has been a long time coming. Starting to hit the ball well especially off the tee and getting up and down more often. Overall very happy and hoping to consolidate this with a few more sub 80 rounds in the near future.
    Nice work Flavzz

My return to the game post lockdown end in Melbourne, continues to improve.

33 points today, not amazing, but an improvement on the 25 and 28, from previous weeks. Put a different putter in the bag, one I typically turn to to get some putts rolling and it mostly worked.

Good times
    Srixon 565 - 10.5 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon 565 - 15 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon H45 - 90gr Stiff Whiteboard
    Fourteen DI w/ SPB Stiff
    Bridgestone J15CB 4-PW SPB's Stiff
    Fourteen MT28 TS Spec 53 & 58 DG Spinner
    Piretti Cortino

GOLF Link

BENCH

Drivers/Fairways/Hybrids

Yamaha v202 9.5* - Tourspec x flex
    Sonartec SS-03
    V Steel 3wd
    V Steel 4wd Attas T3 8x
    Titleist 585h 19*

Irons
    Mizuno MP33 3-P

Putters

Ping Anser, Anser 2, Scottsdale

Wedges
    Cleveland 54
    Fourteen 48

Nice one Flavzz!

I had a personal best as well but not an overall one, just at the particular course we played in the social club today. 95/75 at Gailes. Front 9 better than the back.

I am seeing improvement from the lessons although I've only had two, despite the scores. I've been hitting more greens from 150 in which has been good. My miss is usually an over fade right, I've managed to get rid of the really bad slice, today I could feel a blister starting to form on my right ring finger from the interlocking grip, and it was making me reluctant to turn that hand over properly at impact. I changed it to overlap later in the round than I should have but it resulted in much straighter shots. Might keep up with that next round and see how I go.

Next round Friday arvo, then a lesson Sunday morning before another round.

Thread Information