Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Modern Drivers

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Default Modern Drivers

I've read a few comments recently about how the game has never been easier due to today's drivers, and how some guys are hitting much shorter clubs into par 4's than they ever have previously. Are drivers from the last couple of years that much better in terms of forgiveness and distance?

The most recent drivers I've owned are the 2017 TM M2 (which I hated) and the PING G driver which I found OK, but I still always go back to my Titleist 910D3.

Age is probably taking a yard or two off me every year, so my question is - If the shaft is the right fit, do modern driver heads from the last couple of years make that much difference?

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Your first sentence sounds like what I said in another thread. My driver upgrade last year was from a 2004 G2 to a 2017 G400, so it wasn't a small upgrade.

Member Trainee Pro

YouTube is littered with reviews matching up the latest against older clubs and very rare to see and big improvements. In general, despite whether we admit it or not, us golfers upgrade equipment because we want to not because we need to.
    Happiness is a long walk with a putter.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

My take:

This is not a straightforward question, as there are two different aspects to consider in relation to your own game.

A current driver is probably no longer than one produced a decade ago ON CENTRE HITS and with equivalent shafts. If you find that you really gel with the 910D3 and get a consistent strike with it, newer clubs may be no better. However, modern drivers do seem to be more forgiving on mishits, which in turn will likely result in longer overall distance on your drives across a round. If you don't always stripe the ball, you may find a newer alternative gives you better numbers in total, rather than as one-offs.

I have played on the same course for a number of decades, and have tracked my stats. fairly consistently in recent years. If I nutted it, my Ping i15 was just as long as anything around now - but it also gave me some pretty awful results. My current Cobra F9 is much more forgiving, which in turn allows me to also swing faster, resulting in better performance in terms of distance. The increased forgiveness also means that you could play around with a longer shaft which may (note may) increase your swing speed and distance (again dependent on strike).

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Agreed with above. If you hitting both clubs dead Centre a modern head will only have minimal benefit, potentially lower spin.

Off Centre strikes will be noticeable.
    In the bag

Taylormade Stealth 2 9.0 - AD DI 7X, Taylormade Sim 5 wood - AD DI 8X, P790 2/5-GW S300 AMT, Taylormade Hi Toe 53/14, 57/14, 60/10, Taylormade Spider, Taylormade 2018 staff bag

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Stuart is correct. Since COR was limited, no driver can be longer.

Look carefully at the MyGolfSpy longest driver tests ( and moreso longest other clubs) most often the longest are due to lower loft and longer shaft
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Banned

If you can achieve your ideal launch conditions with an older driver, you won't hit it further on centre strikes. However, newer drivers can create different launch conditions so might be able to produce better launch conditions for you that you can no produce with an older driver. And I also agree with others that newer drivers will be much better on off centre hits so your drives will be on average much longer because you won't lose as much when you hit the middle. The main reason to go newer most of the time is that drivers these days when fitted properly, will produce a very different set of launch conditions to the older drivers which for most people (not all) will give you more distance.

Senior Member Major Winner

My personal idea is that newer drivers work better with the newer balls.

It is really hard to get an older driver to get those ideal launch conditions.

And on just coming back... i really have noticed just how god damn hard the modern balls are.

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    And on just coming back... i really have noticed just how god damn hard the modern balls are.
    and harder is better for all golfers.. check out MyGolfspy 2020 ball test for that revelation.

Mind you, a hard ball these days is old school 90-95, so not really that hard.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

whats longer anyways............. 250 and 14/14 str8 down the middle all day

or 280 left and right in the bundah.

therers no right or wrong to us amatuers

why they will continues to make drivers for ever.
    srixon zr-30 9.5* - diamana X 70s
    kasco fd 12.8 *- diamana stinger 70s
    royal collection 304p 15* - diamana X 70s
    royal collection sfd 3 19* - crazy black ut xs
    yamaha 2009 forged 5/pw - NS prototype 2g18s
    yonex shinagawa 50/56*- ns super peening orange
    fourteen mt-28 60* - ns 950s
    odyssey 2 -ball exo

badly missing, links.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by supo67 View Post

therers no right or wrong to us amatuers

why they will continues to make drivers for ever.
    Statistically 280 in the rough (if it is not too heavy) is better than 250 in the middle.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    My personal idea is that newer drivers work better with the newer balls.It is really hard to get an older driver to get those ideal launch conditions.And on just coming back... i really have noticed just how god damn hard the modern balls are.
    Not sure what you are using Virge but I have found the same as Blakey.Nothing is like the old Titleist Balata Pro100.Best ball ever!!

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    and harder is better for all golfers.. check out MyGolfspy 2020 ball test for that revelation.

Mind you, a hard ball these days is old school 90-95, so not really that hard.
    i watched this - mainly for Miranda and then realised she isnt just a stupid tart for the sake of being pretty on video. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BHdMtJciFA) Way better than that nasally minging bint the PGA tour have. Amanda balloon something

rather good watch... in fact - the geek side of me quite enjoyed the banter.

Quote Originally Posted by supo67 View Post

280 in the shit all day... rather hit 9 iron instead of 5-6 iron.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Statistically 280 in the rough (if it is not too heavy) is better than 250 in the middle.
    100%

Quote Originally Posted by Steve57 View Post
    Not sure what you are using Virge but I have found the same as Blakey.Nothing is like the old Titleist Balata Pro100.Best ball ever!!
    nah - tour 90 - low spinny awesomeness that backspin's the entire green with a deep gash in the side.

Just play a ProV1x.. and carry on.
    Last edited by virge666; 18th September 2021 at 01:57 PM.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Due to advancing age I'm sure I don't hit modern drivers anywhere near as long as I used to hit the Taylormade R7 i played for ten years.

However, I did a proper Trackman fitting in 2016 when I bought the R7's replacement. A Callaway Great Big Bertha.

Since then I've done Trackman sessions pretty much annually.

My numbers for my current driver are pretty much identical to those of the GBB five years ago. So one might conclude there has been no improvement.

However, due to afore-mentioned advancing age (I'm about to hit 60) my numbers should have dropped by a couple of percent each year. The fact they haven't indicates driver/shaft/fitting technology is at least delaying the inevitable.

I also hit a lot more fairways. Partly because I don't hit it long enough to be punished by errant aim, but also (IMHO) because some of the latest drivers are more forgiving off centre. In my experience this only applies to GI models and (Ping aside) isn't consistent.

So modern drivers have helped me. Or so I like to think. But more through efficiency.
    Ping G430 Max
    Ping G410 5 wood
    Ping G425/Mizuno FliHi hybrids
    Cleveland XL Halo driving irons
    PXG 0311P Gen 3 Steelfiber i95 irons
    Cleveland CBX Zipcore
    Odyssey Rossie OG

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Interesting video(s) Dave. Though he didnt mention the TM Stealth is longer at standard lengths by 1/4 or 1/2" which would account for the length difference.

I guess it shows that TM at least continues its strategy of its previous generation gear being its best seller.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Interesting video(s) Dave. Though he didnt mention the TM Stealth is longer at standard lengths by 1/4 or 1/2" which would account for the length difference.

I guess it shows that TM at least continues its strategy of its previous generation gear being its best seller.
    Is there a standard for anything to do with golf clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by 4Puttpete View Post
    Is there a standard for anything to do with golf clubs?
    I mean to say Taylor Mades off the shelf lengths. TM made the Stealth longer than the M4
    --
    Handy-Cap

https://youtu.be/V31rNZIAf-o The Stealth vs old Cally C4 video made me laugh.
    Last edited by solarbear; 26th February 2022 at 09:36 PM.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Anyone bought a Stealth.

I did a sim session with one last week, and had some spectacular numbers.

Can now get my spec for $600 less than first quoted, but still more than I have ever spent on a club ..

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Anyone bought a Stealth.

Can now get my spec for $600 less than first quoted, but still more than I have ever spent on a club ..
    Were you pumping it out past 200?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I reckon this driver will flop big time over the next year.

Follow in the footsteps of the Square and SQ drivers, Callaway Fusion (shorter length driver) and it’s predecessor the C4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Did you try the exact same shaft in another head to compare? If not, it may be the shaft thats making the difference.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Did you try the exact same shaft in another head to compare? If not, it may be the shaft thats making the difference.
    I compared my current Cobra with Fuji to it.Shaft made a significant differenceWhere do I get a Motore X shaft with Cobra tip?

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Thread Information