Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by Flavzz View Post
    Word on the street is the imminent release of the new TM drivers will be around $1100.. they're blaming the Aussie dollar weakening.. ha!
    $1000 and $1100 according to golfbox. Considering that the SIM2 driver was $870 full priced on golfbox that's quite a hike to $1100.
    Attached Images

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Epic speed & SIM2 now selling for $700, that’s a better deal than the new ones that look to be adding very little

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by NewyMitch View Post
    $1000 and $1100 according to golfbox. Considering that the SIM2 driver was $870 full priced on golfbox that's quite a hike to $1100.
    Sadly the Australia tax and weak AUD is a real thing, especially as most (all?) OEM's are supplied here through a Distributor ( mostly Brosnan), so thats an extra layer in the channel that has to make money. Unlike say Apple who generally prices their product equally in AU market because no middle man

. The Stealth+ RRP in US is $600 (+ TAX) so AUD835, compared to $1100 inc tax, so really we pay AUD175 more. The stinker is, the price differnce between models in USA is nowhere near 10%

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

If you wait 6 months, the Sim2 will hit GCO probably around $550 after the use of a code.

Another 6-12 months will then drop to $400.

I moved from the M5 to Sim and the difference was so minimal I wonder why on earth I did it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    If you wait 6 months, the Sim2 will hit GCO probably around $550 after the use of a code.

I moved from the M5 to Sim and the difference was so minimal I wonder why on earth I did it

This. New TM drivers mean cheap prior-generation TM drivers. Also agree about M5-Sim, I didn't bother with that one after hitting the Sim alongside my M5. The Sim2 is better for me, but still questionable whether it's enough of a change to justify the price.

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Anyone made the move from the original epic to epic speed/ SIM / SIM2? Anything noticeable there? I was thinking maybe more forgiveness across the face but that’s about it.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

In terms of the improvement of current drivers against recent driver models, I spent an hour being fitted for a Ping G425 yesterday.

We went through various heads (Max & LST), shafts and then toggling the head weights around to get it just so.

Then I grabbed my 2018 Srixon z785 that I bought off the rack and then had cut down by an inch and sent three drives just as far and straighter.

It’s wild just how little the new drivers really give you vs something less than 7-10 years old.

Trouble for the manufacturers is they can't loft-jack drivers like they do irons. And increasing shaft length is much more noticeable.

I love how the Mygolf spy review reports that they got an extra 2-3mph in ball speed with the Stealth driver, but also adding the shaft was 1/4" longer than they normally used, which would account for 'about' the difference.
    Mygolf spy does great stuff, but gee, they do this every time, makes most of their reporting almost useless.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

I think forgiveness and ball speed retention on off centre strikes is all they have left.

That's where the tech is.

I use different equipment a fair bit, and some older stuff goes as long out of the middle, just not on the sides.

Course dependant, is longer always better anyway?

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    I think forgiveness and ball speed retention on off centre strikes is all they have left.
    Cobra had better lift their game.

Member Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post

I looked at SIM and ended up with M5 - numbers were slightly better on track man and M5 was $350 less

I bought an M5 a couple of years ago, no plans to replace it unless the head breaks, can't really see any other driver giving me better results than I already get. A shaft change might but I'll leave that until I get fitted, whenever that happens.

I was chatting to a manager at one of the major retailers just before Christmas. He said to expect a 10-15% price hike on the majority of things in 2022.

Their costs of goods has gone through the roof and they have had to pass it on.

I had noticed a few things that had already jumped up before Christmas and he confirmed these hikes.

Yup... the cost of a shipping container from china to usa has gone from about $2000 to over $10000, so worldwide would be similar. Someones gotta pay for that.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

If you're playing anything from the last decade or so properly fitted and well maintained (faces cleaned, grooves not dulled and grips in a clean state you can hold onto) you more than likely already have what you need to you maximise your natural talents. Practise (both physical and mental) and commitment to routines, especially around the short game where tech is less of an influence, is where the improvement in scores exist for most if they're really interested in that.

The OEMs have conditioned Joe Average golfer, who plays irregularly and shots in the 90s+, there's more satisfaction in pulling out the new toy and whacking it further than their playing partners that one time a round than not missing a fairway all day or hitting 10+ greens in reg. Length is the drug they've been selling for years and the golfing masses can't help but swallow it by the handful.

Ignoring the price or how much it goes up/down buying this year's wonderstick/s that promise X mph ball speed gains or "xyz-face" technology can of course deliver gains. However, for most they are short term and likely linked to the fact we get joy out of new shiny things and thus feel better standing over the ball with confidence which can unlock that swing-thought free and unencumbered swing we know is buried deep in our golfing subconscious somewhere. Of course, after a few bad swings (which everyone has) the shine starts to wear off, and we seek yet another new toy to bring the feeling back. Hence, the ho-ing that happens on lightly used equipment here

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    If you're playing anything from the last decade or so properly fitted and well maintained (faces cleaned, grooves not dulled and grips in a clean state you can hold onto) you more than likely already have what you need to you maximise your natural talents. Practise (both physical and mental) and commitment to routines, especially around the short game where tech is less of an influence, is where the improvement in scores exist for most if they're really interested in that.

The OEMs have conditioned Joe Average golfer, who plays irregularly and shots in the 90s+, there's more satisfaction in pulling out the new toy and whacking it further than their playing partners that one time a round than not missing a fairway all day or hitting 10+ greens in reg. Length is the drug they've been selling for years and the golfing masses can't help but swallow it by the handful.

Ignoring the price or how much it goes up/down buying this year's wonderstick/s that promise X mph ball speed gains or "xyz-face" technology can of course deliver gains. However, for most they are short term and likely linked to the fact we get joy out of new shiny things and thus feel better standing over the ball with confidence which can unlock that swing-thought free and unencumbered swing we know is buried deep in our golfing subconscious somewhere. Of course, after a few bad swings (which everyone has) the shine starts to wear off, and we seek yet another new toy to bring the feeling back. Hence, the ho-ing that happens on lightly used equipment here
    Too much logic!

Only issue can be that a swing and body can change a lot so may need to be refitted.

That said I like to look of the new Callaway gear, surely my original Rogues are due for an upgrade!

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    I love how the Mygolf spy review reports that they got an extra 2-3mph in ball speed with the Stealth driver, but also adding the shaft was 1/4" longer than they normally used, which would account for 'about' the difference.
    Mygolf spy does great stuff, but gee, they do this every time, makes most of their reporting almost useless.
    THIS !!!!

But she is very pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Yup... the cost of a shipping container from china to usa has gone from about $2000 to over $10000, so worldwide would be similar. Someones gotta pay for that.
    He actually referenced this exact point as well. Their increase was well over 100% for containers.

If you're playing anything from the last decade or so properly fitted and well maintained (faces cleaned, grooves not dulled and grips in a clean state you can hold onto) you more than likely already have what you need to you maximise your natural talents. Practise (both physical and mental) and commitment to routines, especially around the short game where tech is less of an influence, is where the improvement in scores exist for most if they're really interested in that. The OEMs have conditioned Joe Average golfer, who plays irregularly and shots in the 90s+, there's more satisfaction in pulling out the new toy and whacking it further than their playing partners that one time a round than not missing a fairway all day or hitting 10+ greens in reg. Length is the drug they've been selling for years and the golfing masses can't help but swallow it by the handful.Ignoring the price or how much it goes up/down buying this year's wonderstick/s that promise X mph ball speed gains or "xyz-face" technology can of course deliver gains. However, for most they are short term and likely linked to the fact we get joy out of new shiny things and thus feel better standing over the ball with confidence which can unlock that swing-thought free and unencumbered swing we know is buried deep in our golfing subconscious somewhere. Of course, after a few bad swings (which everyone has) the shine starts to wear off, and we seek yet another new toy to bring the feeling back. Hence, the ho-ing that happens on lightly used equipment here
    I must be one of the minority of sorts. I'm more interested in accuracy than being the longest hitter. Rather than keep buying the shiny new toy I've put that money into lessons, which I'm seeing the results of more the more I play and practice. Recently I've reduced my average score by about 5-6 shots per round. My irons are about 20 years old, which I used when I played previously as a teenager before a long hiatus. They will be replaced when it's time to get fitted, which I'll discuss with my pro next lesson. Other than the driver, the only newer clubs I have are a couple of wedges and I recently updated my putter - but it could well stay in the bag until I can't physically play anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Puttpete View Post
    Cobra had better lift their game.
    Nice. It’s hard to revolutionize the game if your equipment manufacturer expects you to hit it somewhere near the middle of the face.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

and well maintained (faces cleaned, grooves not dulled and grips in a clean state you can hold onto)
    Uh oh!
    --
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    He actually referenced this exact point as well. Their increase was well over 100% for containers.
    chatting today about this to old mate in the warehouse next door, a recent container load from china cost them $14500, normally $2000

To be honest we have had a pretty good run for the last few years for golf gear prices!
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 6th January 2022 at 08:43 PM.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I’ve picked a really good time to have my bag set and locked!

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

After reading this Rick Shiels videos came up in my suggested feed (seems the internet has ears and eyes on us at all times). Anyway his latest are tests of the TM & Callaway 2022 Drivers and summarise most of this thread above up pretty well ... TL;DR - he says the differences between the previous models is miniscule and unless you're a fanboi or have $$$ you have top spend last few years models will do the same thing. Guessing he won't be getting Christmas cards from the marketing departments at the OEMs

https://youtu.be/IjZi1ICqQzE

https://youtu.be/XE87lfl5cIo

Thread Information