Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 99
  1. #1

    Default Anyone else not really get better by much over the years, despite loads of practice?

    Hey peeps,

    Have remained an average golfer for decades despite getting an array of lessons from an array of instructors (some quality teachers actually) and hitting gazillions of balls, trillions of slo mo work, drills etc. I’ve taken on the variety of ways to practice in modern day thinking in an attempt to ingrain things and I’m essentially swinging it just as inconsistent as always. Never really like what I see in my swing and rarely get it looking good. I’m fairly coordinated and have played all sports all my life in a Jack of all master of none type manner.

    But I’m starting to think it’s pointless keeping lessons up and drilling and mirror work and pounding balls with a goal of hitting it good.

    And I’m not after perfection, just something semi reliable and repeatable. I hit it like a champ then a 32 handicapper one after the other. The disparity between good and bad is great and often.

    Anyway a great big rant for no reason but hoping some wise heads can agree or make comment.

    Stay safe in the lockdown!

  2. #51
    Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Join Date
    Apr 28, 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    44,693

    Default

    I hope my game hasn't plateaued, but it might have. I did get down to a handicap of 6, but I can't say that I worked at it. I just played on a regular basis at that time.

    I've got the golf bug again, and now I'm going to be targeted in improvement and practice with the initial aim of getting back to 6 in the first place from the 8 that I'm currently on, then lower after that. Maybe I'll find out that I can't get any better, but I don't believe that at this stage.

  3. #52
    Senior Member Major Winner
    Join Date
    Sep 03, 2012
    Location
    Still on the green
    Posts
    13,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    I did. I completely agree with it.

    I'm just completely incapable of that.
    And rightly so.

    All that work you put in should be rewarded.

  4. #53
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Join Date
    Apr 28, 2004
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    30,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    The key for me is fun and the most fun I have had playing golf is without doubt the times that I travelled this place called Oz to play golf with OzGolfer's.
    They way you play it has to be fun otherwise [unimaginable] I cant get that excellent swing photo taken of you at one of the champs out of my head wild thing!

    Golf is actually a lonely game, but What you have said here is a sentiment shared by many, though a lot may not have thought about it. I was with a group of 20 guys from all over the world in a Uk pub. I asked everyonento share their best time in golf. Every single story was about an experience with other people. Not one was about their best shot or individual result.

    When Seth Waugh became CEO of PGA in 2019 he said this in his speech. ""This game has introduced me to more people, more adventures, more places, more relationships than I could have ever imagined." Same as what you said.

  5. #54
    Senior Member Major Winner
    Join Date
    Mar 17, 2010
    Location
    Lacking imagination, while 4-jacking...
    Posts
    14,389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4Puttpete View Post
    And rightly so.

    All that work you put in should be rewarded.
    I know, right?

    The world is so unfair.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

  6. #55
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Join Date
    Sep 29, 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,423

    Default

    When I played my first OzGolf Champs in 2006 I was off 22 and now I'm off 9.
    There's been a couple of revisions of the handicap system in that time so no 100% apple to apples but that seems like a decent amount of improvement.
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

    A tale of golfing mediocrity



  7. #56
    Senior Member Major Winner
    Join Date
    Mar 04, 2013
    Location
    Maryborough QLD
    Posts
    10,275

    Default

    Same, I had a shot a hole for my first Ozgolf event, now I am in the 6s. Biggest change was getting a 6 month lesson plan, and sticking to it. Also being home for for a couple of years helped...

  8. #57
    Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Join Date
    Nov 01, 2008
    Location
    Redlands, on the shores of Moreton Bay
    Posts
    19,214

    Default

    I hit my lowest handicap ever this year, albeit briefly. Though that was more about better course management and short game than any swing improvements. My stats say I am not hitting it as far as I used to, but I am keeping it in play more often. I am 62 and I don't think I can change my swing at this late stage, but I can do better with what I have got and use it to better effect.

  9. #58
    Senior Member Order of Merit winner
    Join Date
    Sep 04, 2004
    Posts
    9,975

    Default

    The game has never been easier, so if you are not currently at your peak, well, maybe golf isn't the game for you.

    Bruce, 9 is an absolute luxury for someone of your ability.

  10. #59
    Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Join Date
    Apr 28, 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    44,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    The game has never been easier, so if you are not currently at your peak, well, maybe golf isn't the game for you.
    I can definitely attest to an updated driver making the game easier. I could have a wedge in my hand for an approach for nine of the holes at my short course now, when it was maybe a handful before.

  11. #60

    Default

    I'll come back to this thread in a few months after I've gone further with my lessons and practice. So far I've only had one lesson, a few practice sessions and one round which was terrible but still had positives. I didn't expect any different while getting used to swing changes, however I am getting more used to those changes each time I hit balls, and hitting more decent shots each time. It'll be interesting to see if Sunday's round is improved over last week after a couple more practice sessions this week.

  12. #61
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Join Date
    Nov 29, 2007
    Posts
    4,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    Bruce, 9 is an absolute luxury for someone of your ability.
    Hmm compliment or insult? Could be taken either way.

  13. #62
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Join Date
    Nov 01, 2009
    Location
    Brookvale Hill
    Posts
    4,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    The game has never been easier, so if you are not currently at your peak, well, maybe golf isn't the game for you.
    In an attempt to earn some much needed golf cred, I'm carrying, playing with 6 clubs made prior WWII and just knocking some grass up to tee off. Never played worse.

  14. #63
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Join Date
    Apr 28, 2004
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    30,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    The game has never been easier, so if you are not currently at your peak, well, maybe golf isn't the game for you.
    It helps a lot being in peak physical condition doesnt it.

  15. #64
    Senior Member Order of Merit winner
    Join Date
    Sep 04, 2004
    Posts
    9,975

    Default

    It does. Golf fitness is a very important part of the game.

  16. #65
    Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Join Date
    Apr 29, 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    18,341

    Default

    interesting thread. A few of you have alluded to everyone finding their natural level, and I think there's definitely something to that. For me that was around a 6 hcap, when playing once a week and not really practicing over about a 25 year period from high school to about 40yo. I'm back playing again now after 10 years off and have drifted out half a dozen shots. I can see that once I get some flexibility and compression back, I'll get back down to around 6 again and I'd be happy with that. I don't have the time or the inclination to put the time into practicing my short game enough to go any lower. And that's fine. Kudos to those who do. I really enjoy playing with mates and celebrating the occasional flushed shot, and laughing about the regular fk ups!

    golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

  17. #66
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Join Date
    May 04, 2004
    Posts
    5,032

    Default

    Interesting conversation....

    So @dee cee, are you still combating this inconsistency?

  18. #67
    Senior Member Major Winner
    Join Date
    Mar 02, 2008
    Location
    Sydney - Nth Beaches
    Posts
    11,745

    Default

    My 2 cents,
    I'm 50 and have spent a lot of time in the gym getting fit and staying fit as my back is eight levels of Fked. I do a lot of stability, core and a basic body workout with weights. Im 85Kg and play of between +1 and 2 depending on time spent practicing.
    Fitness is what i see the big difference... you can be more explosive and more stable and deliver the club better.
    Ignore the gimmicky swing aids.. said this before as well.. been to many tour events and no real players use them... and they do it for a living.
    That's phase 1 done.

    The second bit is tuition.
    Golf is stupidly hard to play well. Dont kid yourself with all the BS about it being easy. I cannot begin to tell you how hard it was for me to go from a 2 handicap to +1. It took 18 months for 3 lousy shots.
    I have had the same coach since 1995. The tuition hasn't changed, the message hasn't changed and he knows my swing. Sending him a video of my swing works, whereas sending a video to someone who has never pushed you into the right positions and motions is pointless, find someone local.
    Your faults wont change. You will always go back to what you do wrong. Learn what you do wrong.
    YOUTUBE does nothing for your golf swing. It just doesnt, it ruins more swings that it fixes because it is all generic nonsense based on 5 different swing patterns from people who have to create content. The second problem is that most of the golfers on YouTube are shit. Good 4-8 markers smashing it with Trackman setup badly doing videos in their backyard. There are some exceptions... but the majority are nonsense.

    The last part is process.
    You never see a low marker without a process. Same setup, same pre-shot, same process. I cant yell this loud enough. Golf is execution through repetition. You cant do the same thing if you dont do the same thing all the time.

    Find the bit above you dont have and go and fix it. Then it just becomes a personal decision of how much time you want to dedicate and how much you want to get better. As i said in the first line.. the game is proper hard and gets harder the better you get at it.

  19. #68
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Join Date
    May 04, 2004
    Posts
    5,032

    Default

    Good stuff in ther virge Thanks for sharing.

  20. #69
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Join Date
    May 03, 2004
    Location
    Pin high, in the lake
    Posts
    25,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    My 2 cents,
    I'm 50 and have spent a lot of time in the gym getting fit and staying fit as my back is eight levels of Fked. I do a lot of stability, core and a basic body workout with weights. Im 85Kg and play of between +1 and 2 depending on time spent practicing.
    Fitness is what i see the big difference... you can be more explosive and more stable and deliver the club better.
    Ignore the gimmicky swing aids.. said this before as well.. been to many tour events and no real players use them... and they do it for a living.
    That's phase 1 done.

    The second bit is tuition.
    Golf is stupidly hard to play well. Dont kid yourself with all the BS about it being easy. I cannot begin to tell you how hard it was for me to go from a 2 handicap to +1. It took 18 months for 3 lousy shots.
    I have had the same coach since 1995. The tuition hasn't changed, the message hasn't changed and he knows my swing. Sending him a video of my swing works, whereas sending a video to someone who has never pushed you into the right positions and motions is pointless, find someone local.
    Your faults wont change. You will always go back to what you do wrong. Learn what you do wrong.
    YOUTUBE does nothing for your golf swing. It just doesnt, it ruins more swings that it fixes because it is all generic nonsense based on 5 different swing patterns from people who have to create content. The second problem is that most of the golfers on YouTube are shit. Good 4-8 markers smashing it with Trackman setup badly doing videos in their backyard. There are some exceptions... but the majority are nonsense.

    The last part is process.
    You never see a low marker without a process. Same setup, same pre-shot, same process. I cant yell this loud enough. Golf is execution through repetition. You cant do the same thing if you dont do the same thing all the time.

    Find the bit above you dont have and go and fix it. Then it just becomes a personal decision of how much time you want to dedicate and how much you want to get better. As i said in the first line.. the game is proper hard and gets harder the better you get at it.
    TL;DR... I'll just go buy a new driver. That'll fix it.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

    9 tours of the Uncivil War

  21. #70
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)
    Join Date
    Dec 11, 2009
    Posts
    1,039

    Default

    Played with a Pro last week who is now a golf brand rep. He said something pretty interesting, apparently PGA say a "good golfer" is someone who shoots 100.....

  22. #71
    Senior Member Major Winner
    Join Date
    Mar 02, 2008
    Location
    Sydney - Nth Beaches
    Posts
    11,745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rowey View Post
    Played with a Pro last week who is now a golf brand rep. He said something pretty interesting, apparently PGA say a "good golfer" is someone who shoots 100.....
    I've played with those people that shoot 100.

    Your Pro friend is wrong. Very, Very Wrong.

  23. #72

    Default

    Hi guys.

    I am 52 and would like to let you all know that golf can improve as you get older. It's not about having a perfect swing. I broke my neck twice and broke my lower back. Broke both hands and they don't work properly anymore. I started playing at 21 and was a 5 handicap at age 25 but then had the injury drama's. Finally started playing badly again at age 40. Since then i am so much better than i was at 25 and recently held 3.1 handicap. I still suffer from the injuries and can't really practice much and 18 holes even in a buggy is a hard day, age is catching up with me but the ability is there.. I shot 31 twice last year on the front 9, A few rounds of 4 under recently. Today i minted a 149m 8 iron in for eagle. I am also pretty bad and can lose the plot like everyone does but i am still improving and getting better at 52. I honestly believe my best rounds are still ahead of me.

  24. #73
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Join Date
    Sep 29, 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,423

    Default

    https://twitter.com/hutch_golf/statu...SIAliekgYftWhw

    A thread that shows how a subest of Arccos users got from Mid/high single digits down to scratch.

    Of the 4 major categories the improvement came from:
    1 Approach shots 41%
    2 Driving 32%
    3 Short game 17%
    4 Putting 10%

    The journey took 100s of rounds for each of these subjects.
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

    A tale of golfing mediocrity



  25. #74
    Senior Member Major Winner
    Join Date
    Sep 03, 2012
    Location
    Still on the green
    Posts
    13,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    https://twitter.com/hutch_golf/statu...SIAliekgYftWhw

    A thread that shows how a subest of Arccos users got from Mid/high single digits down to scratch.

    Of the 4 major categories the improvement came from:
    1 Approach shots 41%
    2 Driving 32%
    3 Short game 17%
    4 Putting 10%

    The journey took 100s of rounds for each of these subjects.
    As much as people bang on about the short game, both the Arcoss bloke and the fella who invented strokes gained are pretty consistent about fairways and greens.

  26. #75
    Senior Member Major Winner
    Join Date
    Mar 17, 2010
    Location
    Lacking imagination, while 4-jacking...
    Posts
    14,389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    As much as people bang on about the short game, both the Arcoss bloke and the fella who invented strokes gained are pretty consistent about fairways and greens.
    This.

    It's a hell of a lot easier to two-putt from 40 feet than it is trying to get up and down from 60.

    And it's a hell of a lot easier to be 40 foot away than 60 if you're attempting it from centre fairway.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap


 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 3 guests)

  1. Birdy Mcbogeyface

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale Loads of Ping Gear
    By Bitter in forum Pro Shop
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25th April 2018, 06:43 PM
  2. Price of last years Pro V's1
    By golfbound in forum Equip Me
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 23rd July 2013, 06:00 PM
  3. 15 years later
    By Scottt in forum Sports Bar
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 1st January 2010, 07:22 PM
  4. New Years !!
    By ddasey in forum 19th Hole
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 1st January 2010, 02:59 PM
  5. 20 years...
    By goughy in forum 19th Hole
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17th November 2008, 06:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Back to top