Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Anyone else not really get better by much over the years, despite loads of practice?

Hey peeps,

Have remained an average golfer for decades despite getting an array of lessons from an array of instructors (some quality teachers actually) and hitting gazillions of balls, trillions of slo mo work, drills etc. I’ve taken on the variety of ways to practice in modern day thinking in an attempt to ingrain things and I’m essentially swinging it just as inconsistent as always. Never really like what I see in my swing and rarely get it looking good. I’m fairly coordinated and have played all sports all my life in a Jack of all master of none type manner.

But I’m starting to think it’s pointless keeping lessons up and drilling and mirror work and pounding balls with a goal of hitting it good.

And I’m not after perfection, just something semi reliable and repeatable. I hit it like a champ then a 32 handicapper one after the other. The disparity between good and bad is great and often.

Anyway a great big rant for no reason but hoping some wise heads can agree or make comment.

Stay safe in the lockdown!

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

A bit off topic but if anyone is interested, I came across this document a while ago which goes into quite some detail about the 'old' Australian handicap system.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Member Club Pro

That table makes a lot of sense.

I was about 12/13 years old and had 50 points off 32 (and came 2nd) played the next dday with 5 less shots and came 2nd or 3rd for a 27 hole tourney. School holidays helpded a lot back then!

Thread Information