Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Fanning arm's open inside takeaway

Hi guys & gals,

Long time lurker on here, had a bit of hiatus both from golf (4 years) and this forum, just started playing again and joined Woodford (10 hcap right now) in Queensland. Pretty much already got back to where I was 4 years ago with both striking and distance. However after reviewing some footage, to my horror i have noticed i am fanning the arms/clubs open pretty bad on takeaway, somehow still manage to hit pretty solid on most shots but under pressure i am sure this is where i will come unstuck. I know there are lots of good players on this forum as i like to read a lot of posts on here.

Just wondering if anyone has some drills that i can work on to help with this. So far i have been told using hanger and keeping it on my left arm throughout the swing or Nick faldo pre set drill may help. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on drills that may help. Would really appreciate the help.

Cheers

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Is your trail hand grip neutral, week or strong?
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Hi Mark,

It is more neutral to slightly strong , I try and have the v pointing at my right shoulder.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Trail hand dictates how trail arm moves in backswing.
    Strong trail hand (under) means arm folds under with elbow closer to body (think like Hogan and completely opposite to Wolff whose grip is very week).

This also means clubface should be more open at shaft parallel to the ground, ie toe up, not parallel towards spine.

Or in more simpler terms, a stronger trail hand grip is going to give you a tendency towards the problem you perceive, so dont get too hung up on trying to go the other way.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Cheers mate, appreciate the insight

Thread Information