Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default WDYSTM - August 2021

A threadstarter is the only positive from my game today.

31 points, with some of everything bad. 3 putt greens (2), other missed short putts (3), duffed chips (1), shanked chips (1). Not much out of the middle of the club. I've also got a sore back. I'm only playing for the exercise and the social interaction at the moment.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Nothing. Golf was cancelled yesterday with the lockdown and can't play this coming weekend either, well I'm guessing not anyway. At this stage pending the situation next game is at Helensvale in a couple of weekends time.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

37 points at GLGC - which again, had me beaten on countback and winning a ball. 4th round in 5 I have been first ball winner FFS.

Was 5 under cap after 12, then had a minor brain explosion.

Back down into the 7.*, so hoping it stops raining, courses dry out and I can get back into the 6.*s by summer.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    37 points at GLGC - which again, had me beaten on countback and winning a ball. 4th round in 5 I have been first ball winner FFS.Was 5 under cap after 12, then had a minor brain explosion. Back down into the 7.*, so hoping it stops raining, courses dry out and I can get back into the 6.*s by summer.
    Good one, WB.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

I've been waiting for the COC Updates from you boys DCanto

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Senior Member Major Winner

37 points at GLGC - which again, had me beaten on countback and winning a ball. 4th round in 5 I have been first ball winner FFS.

Was 5 under cap after 12, then had a minor brain explosion.

Back down into the 7.*, so hoping it stops raining, courses dry out and I can get back into the 6.*s by summer.
    Boom, back to giving me shots. Me rikey...

Oh, and well played benno!

I've been waiting for the COC Updates from you boys DCanto
    There really wasn't much to say. The scores links on the club's Facebook page pretty much say it all.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    How the worn has turned !!!

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    Haven't you turned pro?

Chopperlink

WITB

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I think today's 30 point round is the last bad round I will bother posting. Very few care about the bad scores, particularly if every post seems to say the same thing.

I have also decided not to post in the shanks thread. I'm hitting at least one from about 20 yards out in each round. Two today, both turning possible pars into double bogey wipes.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

It was tough conditions out there today in our midweek medal.
    I had nett 82 and came 5th in A Grade.

Chopperlink

WITB

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

It was tough conditions out there today in our midweek medal.
    I had nett 82 and came 5th in A Grade.
    thats funny, reminds me of a roundI played at the Willows (townsville) when it was very new, was a much tougher track then with a ACR around 76. Monthly medal a grade was won with 79 nett, i had about 82 odd nett myself and won a ball
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Warning, lengthy post. Sorry for the rambling.

Only just getting around to posting this. Nearly had a bogey free round on Thursday - only bogey was on 14. Shame about the 4 doubles... 13 pars (3 squandered birdie chances) shows I can play, but some post round analysis tells me I need to get my head right. This is how it happened (soggy kikuyu fairways making the course play longer):

4th hole, 320m par 4, dogleg right: I take driver off the tee here, hitting a cut around the dogleg. It's an aggressive play, but not overly risky - it's my natural shape, and I'm not going after it, worst result is not fading it enough and ending up on a side hill lie on a bank through the fairway, which is what happened today. Had a 9i from ~115, but there's a big gum tree protecting the left of the green. Instead of the safe play to the front right, I go pin seeking from an average lie and hit the tree. I get cranky at myself instead of focusing on the next shot, and chunk it in to the bunker. Double #1.

8th hole, 362m par 4, #2 index with a tough raised green protected back and sides by thick rough. I hit my worst drive off the day into the right trees. My mistake here was not having a clear plan for my recovery, and punching it through the fairway leaving me an uncomfortable 60m 3rd from a wet, ordinary lie. Leave it short and don't get up and down. Double #2.

10th hole, 343m par 4 with a tight tee shot. 2nd worse tee shot off the day, hooking a hybrid into the trees. Again no real plan for my recovery, but get away with it. Putting from just off the back of the green I leave my 4th about 4 feet short, and in an average state of mind rush up and miss the putt. Double #3.

11th hole, 345m par 4. Not a tough hole, but let's just say I'm not in the best of moods. Pull driver into the trees well back, grab a wedge without thinking and hit tree branches. If I'd taken my time an 7i would've been fine. Anyway, I hit a good 5i from 175 to pin high left of the green, but walk to my ball with smoke coming out my ears. Half way through my backswing on the chip, I literally think to myself "how hard am I hitting this?" then panic and bash it through the green. Double #4.

Apologies for the novel, I'm just hoping some self reflection helps. Playing a vardon at RA tomorrow and another at Glenelg next week, and I'm really focusing on better course management:
    • avoid 40-80m approaches
    • think about each shot properly and don't address the ball without a well thought out plan
    I'm not expecting to break scoring records, the course will be set up tough from the back tees, I just want to avoid the sort of stupid mental errors I've been making lately.
    Last edited by BobsYourUncle; 7th August 2021 at 07:43 PM.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Too much focus on the bad stuff, BYU. Even when you talk about pars, you put a negative spin on it. Pars are good. Sometimes the birdies happen, sometimes they don't.

31 points at Thaxted today.
    Rubbish long game. Short game kept it somewhat respectable. My draws are turning into hooks and it's not getting any better.
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    Warning, lengthy post. Sorry for the rambling. Only just getting around to posting this. Nearly had a bogey free round on Thursday - only bogey was on 14. Shame about the 4 doubles... 13 pars (3 squandered birdie chances) shows I can play, but some post round analysis tells me I need to get my head right. This is how it happened (soggy kikuyu fairways making the course play longer):4th hole, 320m par 4, dogleg right: I take driver off the tee here, hitting a cut around the dogleg. It's an aggressive play, but not overly risky - it's my natural shape, and I'm not going after it, worst result is not fading it enough and ending up on a side hill lie on a bank through the fairway, which is what happened today. Had a 9i from ~115, but there's a big gum tree protecting the left of the green. Instead of the safe play to the front right, I go pin seeking from an average lie and hit the tree. I get cranky at myself instead of focusing on the next shot, and chunk it in to the bunker. Double #1.8th hole, 362m par 4, #2 index with a tough raised green protected back and sides by thick rough. I hit my worst drive off the day into the right trees. My mistake here was not having a clear plan for my recovery, and punching it through the fairway leaving me an uncomfortable 60m 3rd from a wet, ordinary lie. Leave it short and don't get up and down. Double #2.10th hole, 343m par 4 with a tight tee shot. 2nd worse tee shot off the day, hooking a hybrid into the trees. Again no real plan for my recovery, but get away with it. Putting from just off the back of the green I leave my 4th about 4 feet short, and in an average state of mind rush up and miss the putt. Double #3.11th hole, 345m par 4. Not a tough hole, but let's just say I'm not in the best of moods. Pull driver into the trees well back, grab a wedge without thinking and hit tree branches. If I'd taken my time an 7i would've been fine. Anyway, I hit a good 5i from 175 to pin high left of the green, but walk to my ball with smoke coming out my ears. Half way through my backswing on the chip, I literally think to myself "how hard am I hitting this?" then panic and bash it through the green. Double #4.Apologies for the novel, I'm just hoping some self reflection helps. Playing a vardon at RA tomorrow and another at Glenelg next week, and I'm really focusing on better course management:
    • avoid 40-80m approaches
    • think about each shot properly and don't address the ball without a well thought out plan
    I'm not expecting to break scoring records, the course will be set up tough from the back tees, I just want to avoid the sort of stupid mental errors I've been making lately.
    Good to reflect on your mistakes but also good to remember what you did well to consolidate this. 13 pars is nothing to sneeze at. Do you think you might be trying to demand perfection from yourself hence your frustration after an error? Don't be too hard on yourself during the round as this is generally counterproductive to your otherwise positive play. How did you Vardon go?
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Quote Originally Posted by Flavzz View Post
    How did you Vardon go?
    Bloody tough. Nice day, but playing from the back tees makes some of those holes tough, particularly in the wind. 5 and 14 in particular stand out - 5 is a gentle par 4 that I'm usually taking diving over the fairway bunkers from the white tees, but had to hit a fairway wood into the green yesterday, and still came up short. 14 is challenging enough from the whites, it's seriously tough from back over the other side of the train track. 6500m from the tips, the longest course setup I've ever played (Grange East is nearly as long, didn't feel it, probably because the fairways at RA were quite soft).

I started well, was +4 through 11, but then the wheels came off after tripling 12. Driver abandoned me, lost a ball about 2m off the green on 17, and I ended up shooting 89/83. Had fun though, and was very happy with my first 10 holes.
    Last edited by BobsYourUncle; 9th August 2021 at 08:42 AM.

Bloody tough. Nice day, but playing from the back tees makes some of those holes tough, particularly in the wind. 5 and 14 in particular stand out - 5 is a gentle par 4 that I'm usually taking diving over the fairway bunkers from the white tees, but had to hit a fairway wood into the green yesterday, and still came up short. 14 is challenging enough from the whites, it's seriously tough from back over the other side of the train track. 6500m from the tips, the longest course setup I've ever played (Grange East is nearly as long, didn't feel it, probably because the fairways at RA were quite soft).

I started well, was +4 through 11, but then the wheels came off after tripling 12. Driver abandoned me, lost a ball about 2m off the green on 17, and I ended up shooting 89/83. Had fun though, and was very happy with my first 10 holes.
    It's brutal off the Blacks. 5 Par 4's over 400m from what I recall playing it from those blocks in Country Golf week. Never used so many 3 irons or Fairway woods for second shots into Par 4's after hitting really good Tee shots all day.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Default WDYSTM - August 2021

Bear in mind the fairways are much different in winter as well. Something I have recently discovered, significantly less roll.

On another note I managed to hit and hold the 12th green this week. First time ever thanks to new 3wood. Helium shaft does what it says

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by thecollective; 11th August 2021 at 09:57 AM.

Yeah, definitely noticed the reduced roll. It played LONG.

Yeah, definitely noticed the reduced roll. It played LONG.
    RA has super fast fairways in Summer so it’s a bit of a shock when they play so short. I cleared all the bunkers on #14 but still had 150 to the flag, normally around 120

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following were my clubs used per hole from the back tees. I'm not a short hitter.

1: 3w, 7i
    2: D, 5i, W
    3: 5w, W
    4: D, 4h
    5: D, 5w
    6: D, 5i
    7: 6i
    8: D, 9i
    9: D, 5i, W
    10: 5w, W
    11: 3w, 4h
    12: 5w
    13: D, 6i
    14: D, W (fairway bunker), W
    15: D, 5w, W
    16: 6i
    17: D, 5w
    18: D, W (from trees), 5i

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Warning, lengthy post. Sorry for the rambling.
    Bob

Performance = Potential - Interference.

What is an interferences? everything that gets in your way, whether you can control that or not. from a bad lie to, dwelling over mistakes, or your mate farting in your backswing. Everyone has interferences, Tiger possibly one of the very few who was able to block most out.
    Get yourself a golf psycho book, I recommend "Mind of a Tournament Golfer" David L Cook. I know Dave and he is brilliant.

start by watching this video, https://vimeo.com/207855471 if its too long for , skip to 24.45 for the Steve Lowerly story, that should paint a picture of where you need to start. pun intended, you will get that if you watch it all, and you should. I have watched it hundreds of times, i could recite it.

I can send you another of Davids books, free (e-version) if you tell me what Picasso means.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

15/08/2021, Wolston Park GC, Blue Tees, Stableford.

Stats: 4/11 fairways, 8/18 greens, 32 putts.
    Score (Back 9 First): BBPPPBBBB PPPBPPBBb; 38:37:75 (+6:+2:+8); stab 15:18:33pts.
    Played to 10.6. Golflink: 8.4 (+0.5).

Quite happy with today's round, because I wasn't hitting any knifes or chunks, which have been costly to the score. By counting as I approach the ball, setup and swing, and focusing on a hitting a point on the ground just in front of the ball, I have got my head out of the way, and was making very good contact all round. Unfortunately, a fair bit of that contact was a pull left, except the 2 hybrid which had a day out. I prefer directional misses to garbage shots though, and as a result I had a double bogey free round.

I've also just changed my wedge setup from 50/54 to 48/52/58, and was working out my distances with various "o'clock swings" during the week. I've never done that before, and wish I had a long time ago. With the exception of one shank, the results were good in the 30 to 80m area, but I did lose some feel with the inside 30m stuff. That will come good, and hopefully a few more birdie putts will roll in next time, instead of waiting until my last hole.

Next round: Lowood Cup with OZgolfers.

Thread Information