Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

^Great round Andy!

35 points at Thaxted today for me (16/19). Played pretty well all things considered, especially with new irons and driver setup in super fade spec.

Blocked my driver on the first hole onto the next fairway. Once I realised I could swing left (path) and trust the wide open face angle it worked well. Hit a number of straight drives which was good to see. Chunked a few irons and missed a couple short putts but also hit a few good irons and with some more practice I think these should work well. I didn't make any putts outside 5 feet either which didnt help. Also chipped in for Bogey on 7 which I did not deserve after skulling a chip over the green.
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

35 points this morning on a beautiful winters(?) morning.

Game was a bit all over the shop. My chipping was pretty poor but my putting sort of made up for it. I finally started driving the ball properly again which was a huge relief.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I really should stop entering the comp, as I have the option of just paying nothing and having a social round. I keep my own handicap calculations to include social rounds anyway. But I keep doing it just in case I have a great round, and get in the prizes. I was never going to match 46 marker's 47 points though. Criminal! The handicap and the score.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Glenelg yesterday, had some ups and downs. 10th tee start, so I'll post this as 10-18 then 1-9.

BXbBeXXXb-BPPBPXPPB

1st par was on my 11th hole. The 14th at Glenelg is a par 3 166m 6i. First one for me, and I needed it as the putter really wasn't working for the first 9. The two birdies were from wedges to about 2 feet on the two back 9 par 5s.

Decided I should change balls after the hole in one, and was nearly lucky I did, hitting my drive into a penalty area on the next hole (although I did find it). Once I settled back down I played some reasonable golf on what is a pretty challenging layout - 6265m par 71, scratch 73, slope 138. 5 three-putts killed what would've otherwise been a pretty decent score.

Congratulations on the HIO, BYU! Awesome! Have you got a bit more detail for us, or are you saving that for another thread?

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    Glenelg yesterday, had some ups and downs. 10th tee start, so I'll post this as 10-18 then 1-9.BXbBeXXXb-BPPBPXPPB1st par was on my 11th hole. The 14th at Glenelg is a par 3 166m 6i. First one for me, and I needed it as the putter really wasn't working for the first 9. The two birdies were from wedges to about 2 feet on the two back 9 par 5s.Decided I should change balls after the hole in one, and was nearly lucky I did, hitting my drive into a penalty area on the next hole (although I did find it). Once I settled back down I played some reasonable golf on what is a pretty challenging layout - 6265m par 71, scratch 73, slope 138. 5 three-putts killed what would've otherwise been a pretty decent score.
    I had to read that a few times.. Congrats mate! The first of many I'm sure.

First round in 3 weeks yesterday at Helensvale in the social club. Went about as well as expected, 97 (+27), although the back 9 was improved over the front 9 (+10 to +17) after I sort of found a rhythm and coordination somewhat improved. Not much to write home about although still managed 50% fairways, landed on a number of greens but they were so hard it rolled off the back or side. Did manage to prevent hooking mid/long irons, playing more of a draw with them.
    Next round Sunday at Oxley, and will try and book in for a lesson the following week on one of my days off to start those off.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey86 View Post
    First round in 3 weeks yesterday at Helensvale in the social club.
    I didnt see you there !

greens are quite firm in places at the moment. in june a new grass was sown in which will take over the old grass and be 'evergreen'. Its beginning to come through now, but being dry its a slow process, next winter they will be fine.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    I didnt see you there ! greens are quite firm in places at the moment. in june a new grass was sown in which will take over the old grass and be 'evergreen'. Its beginning to come through now, but being dry its a slow process, next winter they will be fine.
    Nobody knows what I look like on here I suppose 🤣Fair enough on the greens, I did notice some responded better than others in regard to the ball skidding on rather than pulling up. Putting wasn't a problem although I was a bit rusty.

Member Club Pro

Played monday 9th for a fantastic 23 points, overly pissed at the slow play in front of us.

Turned it around for 37 points on Wednesday, despite a couple of poor 3 putt bogies, played without too many mistakes and no doubles.
    Played with a low handicapper for the first time since joing Tas (5, but probably closer to a 1-2 cap) I reckon this helped me a bit, playing with better players was good for me when I was younger.
    Just a shame that he was one of the biggest cocks I've ever played with, 3 year old like tantrams the whole day (despite 38 points), had the personality of busted public toilet seat.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

34 points
    2 doubles
    1 wipe

Played pretty solid for the most part

32 points at Half Moon Bay. First round after the CoC. Started off well but lost it on the back 9. Made some poor choices and swings in blustery conditions which cost me.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Stableford at Thaxted today. Daily cap was 12.
    Started off solid +1 thru 7. Finished the front +3 for 21 points. As usual had a really slow start to the back 9. I'm developing a habit of this. Then I lost some confidence on short putts and missed a couple siddas. Ball striking left me, lost a ball and limped in with +13 on the back for 11 points. 32 points (+16) for the day.

Very frustrating day to say the least. This was only my second round with the Apex irons and whilst I hit a few good ones Ithink I need a good range session to dial them in properly. more practice in general needed between rounds. This week's actions are to get 2 practice sessions in. 1 long game session at the range and 1 short game session. Onwards and upwards.
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

28 points at Oxley today playing off 15. I made a couple of small adjustments and started off with three straight pars before the wheels fell off. Ball striking with irons was decent in terms of contact, no tops or chunks but not so great with direction. Normally my short game helps limit the damage from those off line shots but it left me today. If I can keep up the ball striking and improve accuracy it'd be nice. Going for my first lesson tomorrow week and planning to make them regular until I can sort out the inconsistency, hopefully they help.

Senior Member Major Winner

Net 78 (+7) in the monthly black marker.

3 triples and 4 doubles makes it hard.

Slipped out to 2 and had 38 points yesterday and back in .4 on the cap.

Got rolled by a 27 marker for the daily comp win.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Puttpete View Post
    Net 78 (+7) in the monthly black marker. 3 triples and 4 doubles makes it hard.
    It must have been fun - more shots. 🙂

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    Slipped out to 2 and had 38 points yesterday and back in .4 on the cap.Got rolled by a 27 marker for the daily comp win.
    Nice round.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Dcanto View Post
    It must have been fun - more shots.
    I enjoyed it very much.

A slightly better round today, still a few blow-outs but heading in the right direction compared to my recent rounds. Got a bit loose on the back 9, but the eagle on 15 was nice, a good 20-25 foot breaking putt. Left a number of birdie putts short on the correct line, which was frustrating.

XPPPPBPPP-BPBPBeXBB 79/74 33 points
    Last edited by BobsYourUncle; 26th August 2021 at 10:52 AM.

Member Club Pro

39 points and down to 8.
    BPbPBBPPB bPBBPBXbP (78/69)
    Started with a drive OB and then birdied for a 5.
    A lot of better decisions, even when losing a ball.
    Having faster greens helped and short game had improved a lot, couple very close birdie misses and one 3 putt.
    Last edited by ParkRoyal; 26th August 2021 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ParkRoyal View Post
    39 points and down to 8.
    BPbPBBPPB bPBBPBXbP (78/69)
    Started with a drive OB and then birdied for a 5.
    A lot of better decisions, even when losing a ball.
    Having faster greens helped and short game had improved a lot, couple very close birdie misses and one 3 putt.
    Nice round, particularly after the bad drive to start.

22/08/2021, Wolston Park GC, Blue Tees, Stableford.

I'm dumping posting traditional stats, as it provides little insight into how I played. Instead I'll put the strokes gained (SG) handicaps for each aspect.

SG Handicap: Driving - 11, Approach - 21, Short - +5, Putting - 10.
    Score: BBPPBPPPX PXBPPPBXP; 41:38:79 (+6:+6:+12; stab 15:16:31pts.
    Played to 13.7. Golflink: 8.4 (+0.0). SCH: 7.6 (+0.0)

For the most part, I thought I was playing well, but got punished for a few bad shots (knifed wedge OOB, mysterious lost ball), and missed a couple of very easy putts. It was pretty frustrating.
    Back to the pitching green this week for more wedge practice.

Next round: Social at Wolston Park on Sunday. I'm not going to bother paying the comp fee every week anymore, as it is too expensive just to get my handicap updated. I'll go back to tracking my own for all rounds, like the U.S. do for golf.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I looked over the fence at Wolly park on monday.. i really must have a game there. I dont suppose you have a day off tomorrow?

To keep on topic. Had 80 at Gailes in the Season opener for QSOOM. Not a lot of holes at Gailes where over the back of the greens is a good miss!

Lipped out for eagle on the funny farm hole..that would have been nice.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 26th August 2021 at 03:47 PM.

I have a day off but already booked in the Oxley comp

Thread Information