Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Any members of Sanctuary Cove here? Thinking of joining...

I have played both courses before, however, would be interested in the feedback of a some members of what it is like to belong to the club.

Thanks,

David

Hi David, my wife & I are members & enjoy the club very much. The subs are not cheap but they represent excellent value IMHO once you take into account the membership benefits (2 excellent & different courses, awesome practice facilities with unlimited range balls included, gym membership and very good reciprocal arrangements). Happy to discuss in more detail by phone if you want to PM me?

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply Greg. I agree the subs aren't real cheap, however, I also agree with your comments regarding value and I am yet to find another course on the coast that I actually want to play each week! For the life of me, I cannot work out how to PM you, or I would have . When I work it out, I will send you a message.

Thanks,
    David

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Surely you'd play The Pines more as a member. I've played The Palms once and I don't need to play it again. The Pines was decent.

Hi david, i just tried to PM you my number but i got an auto reply saying you could not receive prvate messages. just give me a call on 0439-961983 & we can chat about the membership experience at SC

GG

Hi andy, most of the members would prefer to play most of their rounds on The Pines. For a bunch of reasons. I am also more than happy playing mostly on the Pines, if only to be in the company of people i enjoy playing with. However, to be honest, after 6 months on The Palms (Pines has been closed for 6 months of greens replacement & other work) i have really enjoyed learning how to play The Palms. I find the Pines quite "prescriptive" whereas there are many more options at The Palms & a far greater variety of shots required. the greens are quite extreme but are mostly fair if approached from the correct angle and/or missed in the correct spot. This is all just one golfer's opinion, of course. I do agree it is a difficult course to love after one playing.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Blog Entries

Out of curiosity, what is the cost of subs for Sanctuary Cove?
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

some of the members think they own the place. The truth is the members do own the place but the rules/by laws dont allow the members to have any authority aside from through committee/board obviously.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 29th June 2021 at 09:18 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

That's true for many of the top private clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by pt73 View Post
    That's true for many of the top private clubs.
    Yes. But, there are very few private clubs in australia where the members actually do own it. OTOH 3 or 4.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I played both courses on the same dat in 2019 and preferred the Palms by a decent margin. Maybe 7-3 in a 10-round split.

I reckon Palms might be Ross Watson’s best course.

MTB, I must admit that i probably just do not understand the definitions you are using above when you talk about "members owning the place"...however, by my definitions at least, many, many more than 3 clubs in the country have their assets owned by the members. Maybe you can clarify what you mean by this? I would have thought it was a significant %?

I do agree that most clubs have a diverse membership ....each one including a number of golfers that are not everyone's cup of tea. I do not think Sanctuary Cove is any different but would be far from the only one to be accused of that.

Your point that "many of the staff at SC think many of the members are nobs " is actually even more interesting. I know you are friends with Craig so i will check with him if thats his opinion. Otherwise, you might like to PM me & let me know who "many of the staff" are? Thats a big statement if you are making it on behalf of good people who have built careers there. I guess that asking you these questions just makes me one of the "nobs" though?

If you want to discuss what the real member experience is like at this club, just reach out. My actual name & actual contact number is available in this posting.

I am regularly misunderstood even by myself.

FWIW if one is thinking about whether its worth joining then you have considered the alternatives. Sanctuary Cove has only one competitor in that price, the Grand. If you wanna spend $6-7k per annum on membership (plus extra on bar tab and equity purchase),choose the closest one because at that price you want to spend a lot of time there. No bogan green fee players at the Grand, more financially sound at the grand, better 'community' at the Cove.

The next bracket is ~$4k pa, and thats Arundel,Hope, Royal Pines. If you like uncrowded Sundays cross all these off your list. 2 of these have not had stable ownership, one of them just goes from bad to worse.

The next is Surfers, Southport, Burleigh and Tweed, at about $2k, and I think all are full.

Then at a bit less than $2k is the rest, Emerald Lakes, Palm Meadows, Gainsborough Greens, Parkwood, same as above on Sundays.
    Lakelands, Glades, Palmers, dont really have memberships.

If it was me my pick from each pricebracket is Lakelands, Emerald, Surfers,Royal Pines and the Cove.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Do you still need to buy Equity to be a member at Sanctuary Cove? I thought that was what MTB was referring too?

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    Do you still need to buy Equity to be a member at Sanctuary Cove? I thought that was what MTB was referring too?
    Yes. As i understand it, a member owns a share in the holding company that owns the club. Which can be traded or sold, if the golf club is sold, then the shareholders get the money.

I am sure there is only 3 or 4 clubs in australia operating under that model. If i am wrong and there is 5....shoot me

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Gosh, you lads up north pay an awful lot of coin for some very mediocre golf. I almost feel sorry for you...

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by webster View Post
    gosh, you lads up north pay an awful lot of coin for some very mediocre golf. I almost feel sorry for you...
    lol

Most overpriced memberships in Australia imo.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Brookwater charge about $4k, how would you compare them to the GC courses?

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Gilson View Post
    MTB, I must admit that i probably just do not understand the definitions you are using above when you talk about "members owning the place"...however, by my definitions at least, many, many more than 3 clubs in the country have their assets owned by the members. Maybe you can clarify what you mean by this? I would have thought it was a significant %?
    For clarity of the context sure - but sorry I dont know how to do concise.

The significant % of clubs in Australia are Incorporated Associations, (or Company Limited by Guarantee), rough definition of which is a not for profit legal entity in its own right the same as an individual, run by members, but the members cant receive any funds such as a dividend or capital return. Thats why when such organisation is wound up, its assets are transferred to a nearby alike organisation. I am not a lawyer, but I am fairly certain the legal definition is the club owns itself. Same for a church or a charity or any other club including AFL/NRL/RA/CA and teams all are the same legal structure, their members dont 'own' them either. For the same reason JP Getty despite having "All the Money in the World" could not spend his money on himself or for his grandsons ransom, he wasnt tight, he just didnt own the company he ran as he created it as a charity. He could only buy art because that was investments - in the end of that movie we see he loaned his grandson the ransom.

Sanctuary cove is not the same, members are a shareholder of a Company Limited by Shares which can be run for profit,raise capital and disburse funds to shareholders. This structure is common in USA, but I can only think of 3 golf clubs here with this ownership model. SC, Grand, National.

Hence my point - the members really do own the place.

(of course there are also the privately owned golf club businesses)

I do agree that most clubs have a diverse membership ....each one including a number of golfers that are not everyone's cup of tea. .
    I agree, no group of humans is different, every club has members that think they own the joint, such members dont really spoil the experience for other members either. my point being such a person has an increased sense of self importance when they are an owner. Similar to owners b. renters in a block of flats, That is my opinion and from experience over a long time with what I have seen directly, and know from other members who I have met plenty (and still do). No staff have said that to me, I think the management and culture of the club in general towards the local golf community locally is 2nd to none, unlike some others in the lower 'tiers'. I have had some interesting encounters over the years, and for the most part not because I am a stirrer, surprisingly

consider my flippant comment as, dont be that guy! rather than don't join
    --
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    Gosh, you lads up north pay an awful lot of coin for some very mediocre golf. I almost feel sorry for you...
    yeah yeah. if it wasnt for the weather not sure what the redeeming features are, my company?

Quote Originally Posted by BVB21 View Post
    Most overpriced memberships in Australia imo.
    Like Like. I really dunno, as it turns out those resort courses have to charge that to survive. All the resort courses are built on swamps, i think a key factor is they are just too costly to maintain and too many of them for the population.
    The members founded golf courses at just under $2k are good value.

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    Brookwater charge about $4k, how would you compare them to the GC courses?
    I know nothing about the club itself but the course alone at 4K is better than its peers in that tier. I think its rated #2 in QLD
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 30th June 2021 at 06:14 PM.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    Very few get to play the best value links course in Australia week in week out….and live in a cracking little town Webby!
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Blog Entries

“I know nothing about the club itself but the course alone at 4K is better than its peers in that tier. I think its rated #2 in QLD”

I bet it isn’t #2 on a late January afternoon!
    Last edited by petethepilot; 8th July 2021 at 06:21 PM.
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    Very few get to play the best value links course in Australia week in week out….and live in a cracking little town Webby!
    Port Fairy is great fun.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

I heard the included gym membership is being dropped.

Thread Information