Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Default G'day from Launceston

Hi All, I'm getting back into golf after having a few years off. Located in Tassie and keen to play some of our courses.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Withnail; 20th June 2021 at 11:03 AM.

G'day Withnail ..What are the odds ...Two Taswegians joining the forum on the same day and both returning to golf after years away . I'm at St.Marys by the way and just introduced myself as well ...What club are you a member of if any out of interest ?

Hi Leftyrod. This will be my second attempt at getting back into golf after taking a break. I hope to join Prospect Vale Country Club, I've heard there are alot of nice courses in Tassie, lucky for us. Good to hear your keen to get back into golf yourself.

Thanks and same to you . Never played Prospect Vale but believe it's a beaut course ..I've played a lot of our courses but yet to see Barnbougle 's two or either of the rippers on King Island . Done Royal Hobart twice , Tasmania twice including the 1987 Div 3 State Pennant Final against North West Bay which we lost 6-3 , Kingston Beach once , Riverside a couple of times , Launceston (Kings Meadows ) numerous times , and Mowbray heaps of times . Devonport , Ulverstone (Allison}, Wynyard and Burnie a few times ...Never played on the West Coast at all .. Lots at Moorina , Ringarooma , Scottsdale but Bridport I've yet to play . One time at Greens Beach (tough little bugger) . A few others are Orford , Longford , LLanherne , Swansea , St Helens , Malahide , Freycinet (a gem) Bicheno , Rossarden while it existed , Campbelltown and countless rounds on my own St Marys. Two of the 18 hole courses I've yet to play are Claremont and North West Bay . One very special course on my bucket list is Ratho at Bothwell . Did you know it's the oldest course in the world outside of the United Kingdom , It'll be 200 years old next year ...How about that .

There's only 550,000 of us or thereabouts and about 67 or so courses ..We are pretty lucky indeed .

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Quote Originally Posted by leftyrod View Post
    There's only 550,000 of us or thereabouts and about 67 or so courses ..We are pretty lucky indeed .
    Hope that wasn't a head count.
    Forum needs more banter.

Quote Originally Posted by leftyrod View Post
    Thanks and same to you . Never played Prospect Vale but believe it's a beaut course ..I've played a lot of our courses but yet to see Barnbougle 's two or either of the rippers on King Island . Done Royal Hobart twice , Tasmania twice including the 1987 Div 3 State Pennant Final against North West Bay which we lost 6-3 , Kingston Beach once , Riverside a couple of times , Launceston (Kings Meadows ) numerous times , and Mowbray heaps of times . Devonport , Ulverstone (Allison}, Wynyard and Burnie a few times ...Never played on the West Coast at all .. Lots at Moorina , Ringarooma , Scottsdale but Bridport I've yet to play . One time at Greens Beach (tough little bugger) . A few others are Orford , Longford , LLanherne , Swansea , St Helens , Malahide , Freycinet (a gem) Bicheno , Rossarden while it existed , Campbelltown and countless rounds on my own St Marys. Two of the 18 hole courses I've yet to play are Claremont and North West Bay . One very special course on my bucket list is Ratho at Bothwell . Did you know it's the oldest course in the world outside of the United Kingdom , It'll be 200 years old next year ...How about that .

Talking about population, according to the stats Tasmania is the 4th most highly populated state in Australia (over QLD, SA, WA and NT).
    It will take me awhile before I'm ready to tackle Barnbougle or King Island. I also would like to play Bothwell one day. I knew it's the oldest course in Australia but didnt know it was the oldest outside of the UK.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

There's more than 550,000 in Brisbane, by a lot.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

He probabaly means they are more dense in Tasmania

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    haha, they do say some families are very close down here. But yes I was talking about population density.

Nice to see another member from Tassie. Im up in Burnie myself - we just moved here to run the our Azure Devops Backup business remotely so I can play more golf!! Let me know if you'd like to play?
    Last edited by courtz; 29th July 2021 at 02:03 PM.

Thread Information