Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New iron set - off the rack?

Hi fellas, Im a very average player (HC is 22), im going to purchase some irons, Im probably going to just buy off the rack, there are some good deals on iron sets at the moment but due to lockdown, cant go and test them. Was thinking either Callaway Mavrik or TM Sim2.
    Do you think I should wait until I can test them for myself? Im thinking just to buy one of these sets, you cant really go wrong with either of these sets right.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

You can get sets bent, extended, etc, after purchase, but I'd recommend getting something that is suited to you.

I generally hit a straight ball and recently I hit some clubs that were upright and it was giving me a 15-30m draw depending on the club. I'm standard length and lie, so I guess I could purchase off the rack without too much of an issue, but it wouldn't be the best thing for you.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog76 View Post
    Hi fellas, Im a very average player (HC is 22), im going to purchase some irons, Im probably going to just buy off the rack, there are some good deals on iron sets at the moment but due to lockdown, cant go and test them. Was thinking either Callaway Mavrik or TM Sim2.
    Do you think I should wait until I can test them for myself? Im thinking just to buy one of these sets, you cant really go wrong with either of these sets right.
    A man after my own heart. Buy whichever is most forgiving. If they’re too long, grip down. Too short, use a longer club and don’t swing as hard.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Underdog; both those sets are no where near as good as the Srixon ZX series. I strongly recommend the ZX-5's for you, I have a ZX-7 set and it has been really impressive

If you really must buy off the shelf, just buy the one you like best so yes you should try them out. The things that matter the most are swingweight, flex and lie angle and thats not determinable by anyone else other than a fitter or yourself

Ignore all the bollocks, if you are normal height and a "relative" beginner, grab some clubs from the ozgolf pro shop. When you aren't topping them or hitting them fat or sideways, that is, you have dropped your handicap to 12 or lower, go get fitted.

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Got some Ping i3+ that sound right up your alley!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Ignore all the bollocks, if you are normal height and a "relative" beginner, grab some clubs from the ozgolf pro shop. When you aren't topping them or hitting them fat or sideways, that is, you have dropped your handicap to 12 or lower, go get fitted.
    This sounds about right. Stock is fine if you’re anything close to average height but don’t buy new from a big box store. Depreciation on golf clubs is worse than cars. Find something you like the look of, then look for their equivalent version from 2 years ago and find a set on gumtree it eBay. Or better yet put a wanted ad up on here. The tech in them will be exactly the same but it’ll be half the price.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

I'll add a few things: 1) srixon are great, make sure you give them a chance 2) everyone is right that you can save heaps by buying 2nd hand and get clubs that are just as good 3) but if you have the cash and want something shiny, there's nothing wrong with that (but you'll get better faster by spending the money on lessons)

Some manufacturers are quoting really long lead times for custom orders, if they don’t do them locally.

Ping Australia are quoting lead times of between 4 and 12 weeks depending on the product.
    Last edited by pt73; 2nd June 2021 at 07:25 PM.

I waited about 6 weeks for a srixon z forged 5 iron a few months ago. About the same for a custom odyssey putter before that.

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    Underdog; both those sets are no where near as good as the Srixon ZX series. I strongly recommend the ZX-5's for you, I have a ZX-7 set and it has been really impressive
    Thanks corntyq5, what's the difference between the ZX 7s and 5s etc

ZX 7s are the less forgiving/"player's" style aimed at lower handicaps. I wouldn't recommend those for a 22 handicap. ZX 5s are more game improvement - still lovely forged irons, but are a lot more forgiving. ZX 5s are for a similar target audience as your SIMs/Mavriks (but are much better irons IMHO).

I haven’t seen them, but srixon has also released the ZX4’s which might be better suited, they are the full game improvement offering.

Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post

ZX4 are super forgiving. I just bought ZX5 and waited 8 weeks for them. If you are a relative beginner and don't really care about brand then i'd just go the 2 year old iron option. I'd also look to get something with a forged body so that they can be bent if you need them to be. Look for Srixon Z545 or 565.

The ZX-5's are going cheap enough at the moment on Golfbox, I would not fart around with older models, the price saving will be minimal.

They're also one inch above standard length, if this is too long its dead easy to trim them down.

Just do it

I've been wondering about this as well. I play off about 18 at the moment, but I feel like I can drop that to single figures with lessons and fitted clubs quicker than simply buying forgiving irons... so I'm leaning towards the former. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey86 View Post
    I've been wondering about this as well. I play off about 18 at the moment, but I feel like I can drop that to single figures with lessons and fitted clubs quicker than simply buying forgiving irons... so I'm leaning towards the former. Thoughts?
    I think the lessons should come first before a fitting.

You could end up changing your swing to a point that the clubs wouldn’t be the best fit for you.

Ultimately, a decent swing will be able to get good results with any club, you can just fine tune it afterwards.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    I think the lessons should come first before a fitting.

You could end up changing your swing to a point that the clubs wouldn’t be the best fit for you.

Ultimately, a decent swing will be able to get good results with any club, you can just fine tune it afterwards.
    And lessons are only any good if you allow time to practice and ingrain the changes. Using clubs you know through this process give you a known starting base on your striking, ball flight etc. If the teaching Pro is any good, they should identify any major club issues during your lessons.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Personally (and it's very subjective of course), I think super game improvement/'really forgiving' irons are overrated. As a 23 HC I much prefer hitting player profile clubs. The SGI's may give me some better results, sometimes... but there is a lot to be said for feeling comfortable and confident at address, which is what player profile clubs do better for me.

Agree that lessons (from a GOOD teacher) would be money better spent, if (like Daves has said) you spend the time to practice what you're being taught. Muscle memory if a huge part of the golf swing, and you obviously want that memory doing the right thing for you.

As a wise man once said... “I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.”

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    I think the lessons should come first before a fitting. You could end up changing your swing to a point that the clubs wouldn’t be the best fit for you. Ultimately, a decent swing will be able to get good results with any club, you can just fine tune it afterwards.
    I was thinking lessons first then get fitted, I'd rather have a more consistent swing first, otherwise I'll more than likely just have the same issues with different clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    Personally (and it's very subjective of course), I think super game improvement/'really forgiving' irons are overrated. As a 23 HC I much prefer hitting player profile clubs.
    Good point but it depends on other things too. If a novice goler generates a lot of speed and is steep, shovels are not going to suit. On the other hand if he is a geriatric old hack then thats what he needs.

I have what most would call fairly high on the scale Game Improvement irons that look like blades, Maltby DBM.

Member Trainee Pro

Stuart’d is selling a set of zx7s on this site which may be up your alley mate
    Happiness is a long walk with a putter.

Thread Information