Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Default Putting coach in Adelaide?

I'm sick of my mediocre putting. Who's the go to putting instructor in Adelaide?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    I'm sick of my mediocre putting. Who's the go to putting instructor in Adelaide?
    Grange has a Sam putt lab, best to get an mri of your stroke and go from there

As much as putting is feel you need to know what your habits are on a sub conscious level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by thecollective; 26th May 2021 at 08:35 AM. Reason: spell check

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Hatchy and HP have given me some bloody good tips in the past...

Jokes aside... I'm following this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    Hatchy and HP have given me some bloody good tips in the past...

Jokes aside... I'm following this thread.
    Me too, (well Hatchy anyway)

It's amazing though when you find out the difference between your putting stroke, and your putting stroke under pressure.

Pelz talks a lot about this in his book and videos

Senior Member Major Winner

Default Putting coach in Adelaide?

Can't help with pointing you to a good coach in Adelaide.
    If you don't mind reading I strongly advise getting a book called "Putt Like The Pros" by David Pelts.
    That Book coupled with some training aids that health check alignment and putter head path will go a long way to fixing yourself up.

Unless you have some serious repeating defect in your stroke mechanics (Yips as the worst example) most of the issues with putting stem from alignment. So many weekend players are not aiming and stroking down the line that they think they are and start looking for poor mechanics for bad putts.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 26th May 2021 at 01:39 PM.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

I'll find a copy of that book.

I'm aware I have a path problem (I tend to cut across the ball slightly), and I'd like to get a professional opinion on what might be causing that, rather than trying to band-aid it. I'm arranging a Sam putt lab session, and will report back on that.

My putting isn't terrible, but I'm at a point where it is probably the weakest part of my game and I want to improve it, and see potential for (relatively) large gains (shaving 1-2 putts per round will halve my handicap).

I'm aware I have a path problem (I tend to cut across the ball slightly), and I'd like to get a professional opinion on what might be causing that, rather than trying to band-aid it. I'm arranging a Sam putt lab session, and will report back on that.

My putting isn't terrible, but I'm at a point where it is probably the weakest part of my game and I want to improve it, and see potential for (relatively) large gains (shaving 1-2 putts per round will halve my handicap).
    You can borrow mine for the time being if you like

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    You can borrow mine for the time being if you like
    I've already ordered a copy from Amazon, should be here next week. Thanks for the offer though - I would've taken you up on it otherwise.

I've already ordered a copy from Amazon, should be here next week. Thanks for the offer though - I would've taken you up on it otherwise.
    All good, that’s where I got my copy

Putter Head Square without closing face over with too much forward press.
    Shoulders square
    Rock shoulders back and down the line.
    Sounds easy but it’s not that easy as most of our perceptions on what is square is not always square.

W.I.T.B

Switched to my arm lock putter this morning and sunk a few more putts, but also left a few short. Lesson (with putt lab) booked in for next week.

Switched to my arm lock putter this morning and sunk a few more putts, but also left a few short. Lesson (with putt lab) booked in for next week.
    How long was the first putt that got left short?

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    How long was the first putt that got left short?
    • 12-15 footer for par on the first. Well, it probably just got to the hole, but broke weakly offline because I didn't hit it.
    • Left a slightly down-hill birdie putt from the fringe on 4 short, mostly blame excess dew in the fringe for that.
    • Smashed a long-ish downhill putt way past the hole on 6, leading to a 3 putt.
    • Left a long eagle putt short on 7
    • Left a long par putt short on 10
    • Left a long birdie putt short 12
    • Another down-hill from the fringe putt short on 14
    • Didn't hit my first putt hard enough on 16, leading to a sharp break offline and a 3 putt
    I need to hit the damn thing...

• 12-15 footer for par on the first. Well, it probably just got to the hole, but broke weakly offline because I didn't hit it.
    • Left a slightly down-hill birdie putt from the fringe on 4 short, mostly blame excess dew in the fringe for that.
    • Smashed a long-ish downhill putt way past the hole on 6, leading to a 3 putt.
    • Left a long eagle putt short on 7
    • Left a long par putt short on 10
    • Left a long birdie putt short 12
    • Another down-hill from the fringe putt short on 14
    • Didn't hit my first putt hard enough on 16, leading to a sharp break offline and a 3 putt
    I need to hit the damn thing...
    A lot more short putts than long.
    This is where the Peltz Book can be a massive help and it's the thing that turned my putting from average to putting the dots off it quite often when I used to play regular and spent some time on my game keeping it in check. Pity I could never sort my Tee to Green game out in as good a manner.

Sounds like you need to spend a lot more time practicing distance control with your putting rather than getting bogged down on the mechanics. No short putt goes in.
    You also need to decide what sort of putter you want to be?
    One that rolls at speed to go past the hole letting the hole get in the way (Firm Putter)
    Or one that lags the ball to the hole (Lag Putter)
    The Peltz Book explains why one of those options is much better than the other.

Hopefully your lesson can help smooth some of the rough edges in your setup/alignment/mechanics which is a long way away from being terrible from the games we've played.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 15th June 2021 at 06:21 PM.

W.I.T.B

Had my putt lab lesson today. Confirmed some of what I was thinking (cutting across the ball), but with much more detail than just that. I think a pro could have identified the issues without the fancy hardware, but I found it really helpful to see all the technical details - paths, face angles, alignment, timings, etc.

A few tweaks had me hitting some consistent putts at the end, but will take some work to reinforce the changes and stop the bad habits creeping back in. Going to work on it for a few weeks then go back and do it again.

Also started reading the Dave Pelz book, which arrived yesterday.

Had my putt lab lesson today. Confirmed some of what I was thinking (cutting across the ball), but with much more detail than just that. I think a pro could have identified the issues without the fancy hardware, but I found it really helpful to see all the technical details - paths, face angles, alignment, timings, etc.

A few tweaks had me hitting some consistent putts at the end, but will take some work to reinforce the changes and stop the bad habits creeping back in. Going to work on it for a few weeks then go back and do it again.

Glad the lesson went well and you got something valuable you can trust out of it.
    Once your comfortable your alignment is right and can swing the up and down that line it will be time to work on that distance control. That will be much easier with trust in your mechanics.
    Keen to know how much you get out of the Pelz Book or as I would call it Putting Bible .

W.I.T.B

Funny you mention distance control - part of what I apparently was/am doing is hitting up on the ball a bit too much, leading to somewhat inconsistent contact & distance. The putts I was hitting at the end were so tight from a distance dispersion point of view.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

The best putter that I've played with cut across the line from 5 to 11. Consistently sinking everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    The best putter that I've played with cut across the line from 5 to 11. Consistently sinking everything.
    Consistently repeatable stroke matched to how they see or read the line must work for them. I'd hardly advocate it as a method to copy. Did some one say Lee Trevino?
    Last edited by Hatchman; 2nd June 2021 at 10:31 PM.

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Bobby Locke had the same stroke which looked he was hooking every putt.

Many years ago he played in a Seniors event at my club and I watched him hole them from everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by pt73 View Post

Many years ago he played in a Seniors event at my club and I watched him hole them from everywhere.
    Were you watching in black and white?

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Quote Originally Posted by pt73 View Post

My dad is from SA and always loved his golf. He played a round of golf with Bobby Locke and often talked about it. He said he was a true gentleman and a hell of a player.

He also had a round with Robert Allenby and said the same about him.

Unlike me dad usually would see people in a positive light.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Were you watching in black and white?
    No Mick, I watched him live resplendent in his Plus Fours, Hogan style cap and long sleeved shirt with tie.

It was in 1978 so he would have been almost 70 but he could still play. He was sick on the last day but came back on Monday to play again and shot 4 under from the back tees.

G

Good stuff BYU, sounds like it was worthwhile.
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Thread Information