Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Default Callaway Mack Daddy CB wedge

There seems to be a drive to get cavity back specialty wedges in our bags. To me it looks like a full circle back to a sw that just came with a set of chunky monkey irons.
    Is it that we are time poor and these are a bandaid for lack of refined skills earned around the practice green.
    I have given them a run with the Cleveland CBX 2 but any feeling of improvement is short lived because at end of the day they are bloody horrible.
    For me all it takes is a game with a plus marker and after watching his wedge play these type of wedges are thrown into the cupboard and it's back to the practice area with blade style wedges.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I almost pulled the trigger on a sureout 2 today, I reckon if I can get out of the bunker in one shot I would drop 3-5 shot instantly.

Senior Member Major Winner

spend a half hour a week practicing bunker shots. Dont get caught up trying to get the ball withing 6' just get it out.

I find RQ bunkers easy but Nudgee's do my head in.

When is a wedge a wedge though. I have seen some sets with chunky monkey 'A' and 'G' wedges on cranked-loft iron sets that are basically just 'P' wedges with a different letter on them, now that the P is a 9 or even 8 iron loft in those sets.
    That said, more forgiveness in full shots is a good thing but I can't remember the last time I hit a full-blooded shot in anything more lofty than a gappy.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Cavity Backs are great for the Gap wedge, Mizuno and PING make the best ones. Full shots are much easier plus it gives you a bit of help out of the thick stuff around the greens. Lower spin as well which actually helps more than deters, if you need spin put in a 54 bladed wedge

I do agree however that the Callaway and Cleveland CBX versions are too chunky. It's encouraging poor form around the greens.

On the whole, Callaway are making some pretty crap product at the moment, just my opinion
    Last edited by thecollective; 19th April 2021 at 10:15 AM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I still game the original Titleist DCI sand wedge bent to 53, and lob bent to 57. Both chunky cavities. I have the usual blade 60 degree lob.

i game 5 wedges as the p790 lofts are so strong
    In the bag

Taylormade Stealth 2 9.0 - AD DI 7X, Taylormade Sim 5 wood - AD DI 8X, P790 2/5-GW S300 AMT, Taylormade Hi Toe 53/14, 57/14, 60/10, Taylormade Spider, Taylormade 2018 staff bag

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Our club pro is a plus marker and uses the cbx wedge and srixon 545 irons all with steel fibres. I was surprised at his bag to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by dowdsy View Post
    Our club pro is a plus marker and uses the cbx wedge and srixon 545 irons all with steel fibres. I was surprised at his bag to be honest.
    Golf is easier without an ego.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Chris could’ve saved himself the hassle by spotting the 2 CBX wedges in my bag back in Dec and noticed my rubbish short game. Didn’t need a round with a plus marker to connect those dots. Although one of those rounds was with a 15 handicap chopper who played like a plus marker for a day, which may have confused him.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Chris could’ve saved himself the hassle by spotting the 2 CBX wedges in my bag back in Dec and noticed my rubbish short game. Didn’t need a round with a plus marker to connect those dots. Although one of those rounds was with a 15 handicap chopper who played like a plus marker for a day, which may have confused him.
    Sounds like quite the adventure

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I grew up playing persimmon woods, 'blade' style irons and wedges with no forgiveness. It took me a long time to convert, but I now use a massive over-sized driver, frying pan irons and Cleveland smart-sole wedges. Yes, they all look awful. But, wow, they genuinely make the game easier for me.

I have never found a short-game shot that I couldn't play with the Clevelands, which are a step 'worse' than the CBXs in terms of appearance. Having said that, I do play on fairly 'fluffy' fairways (kikuyu) and accept things may be different if I consistently had very tight lies.

They have to be JDM now anyways.

Thread Information