Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Staying down through impact

Afternoon all,

whilst it seems relatively simple, I often have a issue staying down through and beyond impact.

when I do, my flight is straight, high and crisp...... and my swing finishes in a nice balanced follow through. when I don’t I hit it left, sometimes fat, and not balanced.

what are some drills to help embed me staying down through impact?

cheers
    In the bag

Taylormade Stealth 2 9.0 - AD DI 7X, Taylormade Sim 5 wood - AD DI 8X, P790 2/5-GW S300 AMT, Taylormade Hi Toe 53/14, 57/14, 60/10, Taylormade Spider, Taylormade 2018 staff bag

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

IMO. If you are not staying down, the fix is not staying down. There is something else you are doing thats causing your body to instinctively react that way to prevent a hook ( for example).

We often call ourselves stupid when we do things like that, how hard is it to stay down! But no, its pur brains thats actually quite smart, it does so much stuff quite well without being told.

Get a lesson. Find that issue, and do the drills recommended.

P.s. i also struggle with staying down for most of my life. Not so much now.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Or... post your swing here and let experts(?) put you on the right track
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Keep your head down and keep your left arm straight.

Could also be overactive lower body (i.e. too much leg drive).
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    IMO. If you are not staying down, the fix is not staying down. There is something else you are doing thats causing your body to instinctively react that way to prevent a hook ( for example).

We often call ourselves stupid when we do things like that, how hard is it to stay down! But no, its pur brains thats actually quite smart, it does so much stuff quite well without being told.

Get a lesson. Find that issue, and do the drills recommended.

P.s. i also struggle with staying down for most of my life. Not so much now.
    thought about what you said and went to the range and hit a couple of buckets.

the connection I have made is the feeling of staying down is the same as “dropping into the slot” and coming from the inside. Realised when I don’t stay down most of my bad swings are slightly over the top with a closed clubface.

practiced the feeling of dropping inside and now I can stay down again (for now 🤣)
    In the bag

Taylormade Stealth 2 9.0 - AD DI 7X, Taylormade Sim 5 wood - AD DI 8X, P790 2/5-GW S300 AMT, Taylormade Hi Toe 53/14, 57/14, 60/10, Taylormade Spider, Taylormade 2018 staff bag

Sounds like my problemn (and what County said too) i shallow the club in transition but my first move the hands go forward instead of down. Duck hooks galore if i dont rotate fast enough

My latest fad is this
    https://youtu.be/22FwH5O2amI
    --
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by davepuppies View Post
    thought about what you said and went to the range and hit a couple of buckets.

the connection I have made is the feeling of staying down is the same as “dropping into the slot” and coming from the inside. Realised when I don’t stay down most of my bad swings are slightly over the top with a closed clubface.

practiced the feeling of dropping inside and now I can stay down again (for now ������)
    From the description above that sounds more top half body turn (shoulders & trunk) than bottom half (hip/legs).
    If there's some reverse pivot action thrown in you get a mix of fat and thin shots.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 19th April 2021 at 06:01 PM.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Hey guys, a bit of a update. Went and had a lesson of trackman, and with some video work.

I am standing up a little at the top of the swing as my body isn’t working properly on the first part of backswing, and I wasn’t stacking and weight over front foot, and not turning effectively. My weight distribution was too much on my heels too.

working on more weight on the balls of my feet, that encourages a proper turn not standing, and more of a one piece takeaway to get the body moving properly from beginning.

interestingly enough, my driver swing speed was a average of 122mph and when we trialled some X flex shafts in driver and iron I hit it worse. He said my dispersion pattern was good with my irons (S300)
    In the bag

Thread Information