Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Default Golf ball for swing speed

What’s the opinion for golf balls vs swing speed?

Eg Bridgestone have balls for under 105mph and balls for over 105mph. If you are on the edge would it be better to go the lower compression or high compression?

Would you lose more distance by over compressing the under 105mph ball or uncompressing the over 105mph ball?

Bollocks.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by bdoug10 View Post

Would you lose more distance by over compressing the under 105mph ball or uncompressing the over 105mph ball?
    every golfer that uses the under 105mph ball loses distance.

The mygolfspy 2020 golf ball test emphatically concluded that higher compression ball goes further for every swing speed from my Mum's to Bryson (to be fair, mum hits it further than some blokes and she is 80)
    See points 3 and 4 on this article
    https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Senior Member Major Winner

what everyone else has said. The RXS and RX go a good bit shorter than the X. I just did a trackman fitting and spin numbers went up and distance was further using the XS over the RXS.

Thanks all. Who does trackman ball fitting around Ipswich Brisbane?

I used to use soft balls, but recently began using firmer ones, mainly TP5x, but a couple of ProV1 as well. I also have some ProV1x in my bag but they're my least favourite of those 3 so I usually only use them if I run out of my preferred ball.

The first thing I noticed was I got more distance with the driver, but also that it was more consistent distance as well, most of them within a 10m range instead of one going 250m and the next 180. A little less distance with the shorter irons but less roll out, not hard to adjust club selection there so doesn't bother me. They also give me better spin to stop pitches and chips quicker. I don't know exactly what my swing speed is but it would be under 100, probably high 80s/low 90s.

This all came about by accident. I found a TP5x in the rough one day and just left it in my bag. One day I hit one in the water and pulled it out for the drop, and liked the performance a lot more so kept using them.

The Tour B RX is worth considering if you need lower spin in the irons, compression is still high and stacks up in the ball speed department

Default Golf ball for swing speed

Im not a fan of any Bridgey RX or RXS ball, way too soft and no real grip on knockdowns. The tour B X is awesome for distance and spins much less than the XS, but like the above suggests, very consistent.

You have to ask yourself; how much spin do you really need around the greens.
    Last edited by thecollective; 19th March 2021 at 08:06 PM.

Thread Information