Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Member Trainee Pro

Default APEX 21 - Would you play all three in a combo?

Interested in peoples thoughts. For a mid level handicap say 8-12, would you consider getting a three club combo in the Apex 21. Example DCB in 3/4, Apex 5/6/7 and Pro in 8/9/P?

I thought of that when I had the apex a while back. The issue I came across was apex is strongly delofted like 3 degrees compared to the apex pro. So if you are mixing them, the gap between your 7 and 8 is almost a club.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Yes I would consider that sort of setup, with any set. Aside from what he ^^ said there is other changes between models like COG height. So me being fussy probably wouldnt like that even though the differnces is intangible.

I am not even sure what the real benefit might be apart from being able to say I still play blades even if its only my Wedge
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

I have sets of the original Apex and Apex Pros and I don't find they blend that well, as mentioned. The Pros aren't particularly friendly for me, a bit harsh in fact. They are 6- PW, so I throw in the Apex 4 & 5, if I bag them. But really I find sticking to just the Apex much better for my game. I am in the HCP range you mention. For the 3i, I bag a Hybrid, an Epic #3 19 usually with these irons.

Member Trainee Pro

Appreciate the insights, I am pretty sure you can get the lofts in an official blended sequence or bend them at least as they are all forged. I've being playing Apex for a number of years and the only issue I have is that when I try to knock in fade occasionaly it just goes straight. I was hoping the pros might give me a bit more chance to work/flight the ball in the scoring irons but yes its probably just the user. Going to do a fitting and see what comes out... Will keep you posted.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Its a fallacy that cavity backs are harder to shape than blades - IF ball contact is in sweet spot the result is the same.

The benefits of cavity backed irons only make a difference If the ball is not struck with the middle of the clubface. So if your fades are going straight, you probably missed the middle.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_Syd View Post
    Appreciate the insights, I am pretty sure you can get the lofts in an official blended sequence or bend them at least as they are all forged. I've being playing Apex for a number of years and the only issue I have is that when I try to knock in fade occasionaly it just goes straight. I was hoping the pros might give me a bit more chance to work/flight the ball in the scoring irons but yes its probably just the user. Going to do a fitting and see what comes out... Will keep you posted.
    I use apex cf19 irons and play off 4hc Don't really have any issues shaping these irons.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

They all shoot right of the hozel...

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

When I was that cap I loved my set of Titleist 735CM's so I don't see why not.

Thread Information