Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Played in a vardon event at Kooyonga on Sunday. Course was set up super hard - rock hard, fast greens, toughest pins, playing from the tips. Field of 64 sub-5 handicaps, only 7 guys broke 80. I started triple-double-double to be out of the running right away. Lost ball off the first tee, had to make the walk of shame back to the tee with other groups waiting (saw my ball bounce, so didn't hit a provisional, but couldn't find it when I got there). Played holes 4-18 pretty well for an 87.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    Played in a vardon event at Kooyonga on Sunday. Course was set up super hard - rock hard, fast greens, toughest pins, playing from the tips. Field of 64 sub-5 handicaps, only 7 guys broke 80. I started triple-double-double to be out of the running right away. Lost ball off the first tee, had to make the walk of shame back to the tee with other groups waiting (saw my ball bounce, so didn't hit a provisional, but couldn't find it when I got there). Played holes 4-18 pretty well for an 87.
    Ouch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    Ouch
    Yep. I wasn't down the bottom of the leaderboard either - there were some high numbers out there. It was punishing.

What was the highest? If I shot anything above 90 in a Vardon I would feel pretty embarrassed

What was the highest? If I shot anything above 90 in a Vardon I would feel pretty embarrassed Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    101. I was pretty happy to keep it under 90 after my start. PCC for the day was +3.

101. I was pretty happy to keep it under 90 after my start. PCC for the day was +3.
    Raised the bat at a Vardon, noice

Senior Member Major Winner

Vardons certainly sort them out when they trick the courses up.
    The most savage one I ever played in was at Blackwood. I played in some Easter Open thing on the Saturday and shot 79. Come the Monday the Greens were a whole new level of lightning slick. Apart from putting 4 balls off greens due to the vast difference in pace I played pretty much the same as the day before and struggled to keep it under 90 both rounds. There was only 4 scores under 80 that day over both rounds and all the top players were there.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 24th March 2021 at 03:21 PM.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    Did Greg Rhodes add another to his list of titles?
    Nope, tied 2nd.

I played with him on the Saturday and he had the flu, was talking about not coming back Sunday with how he felt. Still shot 73.

Social club game at Virginia on Sunday, ended up with 94/75. Driving was reasonable again hitting 50% fairways, and several misses still in a good position. 4 greens. A downpour decided to pass through on the 18th tee (our 9th), which made for some tougher conditions the rest of the round. Most irons fell short from not getting good contact on the waterlogged ground or were inaccurate from slippery grips.
    Hopefully things are a bit drier this Sunday at Woodford.

Vardons certainly sort them out when they trick the courses up.The most savage one I ever played in was at Blackwood. I played in some Easter Open thing on the Saturday and shot 79. Come the Sunday the Greens were a whole new level of lightning slick. Apart from putting 4 balls off greens due to the vast difference in pace I played pretty much the same as the day before and struggled to keep it under 90 both rounds. There was only 4 scores under 80 that day over both rounds and all the top players were there.
    I've never played in a Vardon. Can someone explain the premise of a Vardon event?
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Quote Originally Posted by Flavzz View Post
    I've never played in a Vardon. Can someone explain the premise of a Vardon event?
    They're fairly new to me. Part of the state order of merit, a year-long series of events open to amateurs. Some events will have handicap limits (the one on the weekend at Kooyonga was <4.5 GA), others don't, but might have a limited number of places and will give spots to lower handicaps first.

https://www.golf.org.au/orderofmerit/
    https://www.golf.org.au/events#/cust...ule/2021/10692

It's a stroke comp for flushers. Not something you want to do if your handicap is > 4. I can appreciate BYU playing Vardon as he is currently on a journey to scratch.

It's a stroke comp
    Yes that's a good point. Plenty of 10+ hole scores to be had if you look through the results. There's one at Blackwood on Easter Monday, max handicap for that is 7.4. Not sure if I'll play, will need partner approval...

Yes that's a good point. Plenty of 10+ hole scores to be had if you look through the results. There's one at Blackwood on Easter Monday, max handicap for that is 7.4. Not sure if I'll play, will need partner approval...
    It's probably a good experience for aspiring golfers, but the reality cheque would hurt many. I have seen a lot of good players give up the game over the last 10 years when they realise just how good the top level is in comparison to their own game.

Ok nice one. Nothing I'll have to worry about then 😅
    WITB

It's a bit like going in a half marathon for the first time and having the front of the field running back up and run past you (warm down jog) after finishing to provide motivation.

It's a bit like going in a half marathon for the first time and having the front of the field running back up and run past you (warm down jog) after finishing to provide motivation.
    Haha sounds like fun!!
    WITB

It's the top level of Amateur Golf in the State. State representative teams for Juniors & Seniors are almost wholly picked from results in the Vardon Events.
    They are a good test to play in if you get the chance. 36 holes in a day can be slog if your having a bad one though.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 26th March 2021 at 03:49 PM.

W.I.T.B

36 holes in a day can be slog if your having a bad one though.
    Are they 36 holes? I thought they were only 18

The few I've looked at are all 18, although speaking to the father of an under-18 they have definitely played some 36 hole/day events - might not have been the same thing though.

I definitely experienced a step-up in terms of difficulty & pressure compared to a normal club comp (or even pennant). As I said, walking back to the first tee after losing my drive was bad, but when I got there I had to worry about the fact I'd only brought 1 new ball (left my bag in the trees down the fairway) - what if I lose this one? Go fetch another ball from my bag 200+ metres away? Beg for a ball from one of the many (in my mind) scratch golfers who are waiting annoyed I'm slowing them down? I'm actually quite proud of the fact I managed to put that out of my mind and hit one down the middle to be honest. Forget 36 holes, getting through just that first one seemed pretty hard...

But I loved the challenge in the end, and will try to play more.

The few I've looked at are all 18, although speaking to the father of an under-18 they have definitely played some 36 hole/day events - might not have been the same thing though.

I definitely experienced a step-up in terms of difficulty & pressure. As I said, walking back to the first tee after losing my drive was bad, but when I got there I had to worry about the fact I'd only brought 1 new ball (left my bag in the trees down the fairway) - what if I lose this one? Go fetch another ball from my bag 200+ metres away? Beg for a ball from one of the many (in my mind) scratch golfers who are waiting annoyed I'm slowing them down? I'm actually quite proud of the fact I managed to put that out of my mind and hit one down the middle to be honest. Forget 36 holes, getting through just that first one seemed pretty hard...

But I loved the challenge in the end, and will try to play more.
    If you're keen to get to scratch playing Vardon is a good move, no question.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Vardon trophy is the typical term for the States Stroke Average winner. A vardon event are those that count for this OOM.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I did play a few NSW South Coast Vardon events when I was a youngster who thought he was a reasonable golfer. They are good fun if you play well, but a humiliating experience if you are paired with a scratch marker and you shoot 90 with 8 three-putts, as I once did.

I have no expectations of being at Vardon standard again, and I had few expectations of my round today. After 4 days of staying home and watching it rain I was happy to be out in the sunshine. I got an early indicator when I lost a ball in the rough on the second, and then almost lost another one on the 3rd. In the end the total was 27 points, with 7 doubles, 2 bogeys, 8 pars and a birdie. The course was so soft I hit 13 3-woods. One of them was an absolute cracker to 8 feet and a birdie, so that is the shot that will bring me back next week.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Unless it's totally changed recently in the last couple of years 90% of the events have always been 36 holes.

BYU, If you play any more of the events pray like hell you don't get drawn with Patrick Mentzel from Riverside. One of the slowest players I have ever had the displeasure to be drawn in the same group with. By the 3rd or 4th hole you'll already be a hole and a half behind because of this f****** snail.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 24th March 2021 at 05:50 PM.

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Played RQ yesterday and surprisingly it was in awesome condition given the rain early in the week.

The golf- not so awesome.

Really fighting the lefts off the tee- have been through this before, just need to work out what I did last time.

11pts to start 10-18, 16pts to finish 1-9.

Which included a rally on the final 4 holes to par in.

A couple of highlights were the 3-4 rockets I hit with my old Exotics 4w that is in my travel bag. Airmailed the 9th green in two which at 480m was a little surprising.

Good company and a beautiful Brisbane day though.

Thread Information