Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Weights for golf ?

I'm far from being overly ambitious and trying to replicate what the pros do however i know golfers (mainly pros) work out in order to assist their golf. As I do weights and exercise regularly I was just wondering if anybody has any idea what kind of weights / gym work they would do in order to improve their game ? I'm guessing that the majority of their work is working on their core strength - if anybody has any suggestions about exercises relevant to golf then please let me know.

Before some cheeky bastard gets in and says work on your faults, your swing etc etc and that workouts will only help a minor amount - again id like to explain i do weights anyway so if i can tweek it in order to improve my golf why not ?

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I had a quick look at my Anytime Fitness app for its golf specific workouts, and they seemed like fairly general strength workouts to me, with core, back, trunk, arms, legs

Thanks Andy - enjoy your golf this weekend. I'm locked in so no golf for me until at least late next week - might have to resort to playing golf video games - COMMODORE 64 LEADERBOARD GOLF - HERE I COME !
    Last edited by MegaA; 13th February 2021 at 06:13 PM. Reason: WRONG NAME

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

book: Physical Conditioning for Golfers, David G Keir.
    might be out of print. was the official book for AU PGA trainees for a while.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

G Norman posts a few vids on you tube

Fit for Golf app. $12 a month, cancel at any time. I just joined but seems good so far.

Fit for Golf focuses on flexibility a bit, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Fit for Golf focuses on flexibility a bit, doesn't it?
    Yep, each session seems to start with mobility and flexibility type work. Then some traditional type lifting, then some explosive stuff with medicine balls etc.

I'd probably do some golf specific fitness stuff, except my time at the gym is constantly focused on rehab, and cardio.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

What exactly are you hoping to improve?

My best advice (and I do some research collaborations with sports science people) is to identify if you have a specific weakspot first, and then it is quite easy to design a program to fix it. For example, if you are generally unfit and get tired, some simple cardio is probably good. If you looking to get stronger in order to hit the ball further, pretty much any progression-based resistance workout will be beneficial. If you want to improve flexibility in order to increase the length of your swing, something around dynamic movement would probably be better.

Having said that though, most general workouts are likely to be useful if you are not a regular gym goer already, and a golf-specific one is probably unnecessary unless you have a very specific weakness arising from an injury. Any program in which you focus on progressing in the four main movements of Push (Push-ups, bench press etc), Pull (rows, pull-ups etc), Hinge (kettlebell swings or dead lift) and Squat (back, front, zercher or whatever) is going to hit the main muscle groups pretty well and will also increase your overall flexibility if you do them right. So long as you don't slack off too much between exercises, you also get a decent cardio workout.

For what its worth, I am nearly 50 now and have gone to the gym around 3 times a week (for about 45 minutes each time) consistently for the past 25 years or so. I still use pretty much the same base routine and try to hit each main body part (calves, quads/hams, abs, chest, back and shoulders) once every session (although I do change up the actual exercises fairly regularly). I still hit the ball as far* as I did when I was 35, and, due to technology, much further than I did when I was 20. I have tried 'golf specific' workouts, and don't think they actually serve any great purpose to be honest.

* Hit the ball just as far into the trees that is.
    Last edited by Stuart; 15th February 2021 at 09:53 AM.

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

I have started doing the jaacob bowden (on YouTube) weekly workout - 5 days exercise, 2 rest. Mixing it with the gym twice a week for general strengthening and swing speed golf every second day. Been going for 3 weeks & feel much stronger, more flexible and definitely hitting it further into trouble... will stick with it as it’s raising my base, my easy shots are going as far as my previous hard shots

Thread Information