Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Afl 2021

Someone rang up SEN this morning and said Kennett can go get f'd...the delay mustn't have been working because it was broadcast 🤣

Senior Member Major Winner

The recent history of take over first time coaches from successful ones that have been at the club for a while is not great.
    Sheedy - Knights
    Matthew’s - Voss
    Malthouse - Buckley
    Clarkson - Mitchell (watch this space)
    The pressure will be massive considering who he’s replacing and in the manner it’s happened.
    Secession plans can only work if it’s the senior coach that wants his exit to be that. Forced succession plans by boards or presidents does not work.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

On another note. What the hell is going on with West Coast Eagles? Too much talent on the list to be dishing up what they are atm.
    Brisbane has fallen in a bit of a hole too.

Dogs looking very good and the Cats are getting it done. Still lots of ??? On Melbourne if they can maintain it for finals or fall over as many expect.

Everyone else in the 8 are just making up the numbers.

W.I.T.B

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Swans no chance?

Brisbane is off the boil which is disappointing, hopefully they can get back to their best, starting this week. I'd think Bulldogs, Geelong and Melbourne are the most likely teams at this stage with Port and Sydney just below them. Any of them could win it on their day though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey86 View Post
    Brisbane is off the boil which is disappointing, hopefully they can get back to their best, starting this week. I'd think Bulldogs, Geelong and Melbourne are the most likely teams at this stage with Port and Sydney just below them. Any of them could win it on their day though.
    I think your right with the top 3.
    I rate Sydney's chances better than Ports. They are cleaner by hand around the packs when it's tight getting a clean possession.
    Port are clumsy in tight and have been far to wasteful with forward entries during the regular season. Come finals pressure I would expect it to be worse. Sides seem to be scoring free and easy back the other way if they can get it over the top/back. Most haven't been able to do it often enough to win. Kenny is not the man to take them all the way.

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey86 View Post
    Someone rang up SEN this morning and said Kennett can go get f'd...the delay mustn't have been working because it was broadcast ������
    I think sometimes the producer decides to air frustration if it's a true indication of what fans are thinking

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    The recent history of take over first time coaches from successful ones that have been at the club for a while is not great.
    Sheedy - Knights
    Matthew’s - Voss
    Malthouse - Buckley
    Clarkson - Mitchell (watch this space)
    The pressure will be massive considering who he’s replacing and in the manner it’s happened.
    Secession plans can only work if it’s the senior coach that wants his exit to be that. Forced succession plans by boards or presidents does not work.
    Some of these also coincided with a list that was in decline, so you have to take that into account. Mitchell shouldn't come into 2022 with a truckload of expectation, so no pressure for at least a few years, surely? They weren't going to play finals or challenge for the flag under Clarko any time soon.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by LarryLong View Post
    They weren't going to play finals or challenge for the flag under Clarko any time soon.
    And because of Clarko?

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    And because of Clarko?
    Head coaches probably get too much of the credit and blame for these things.

Clarko's biggest problem is that Brisbane seem to be benefiting more from his visionary genius than Hawthorn are these days.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by LarryLong View Post
    Some of these also coincided with a list that was in decline, so you have to take that into account. Mitchell shouldn't come into 2022 with a truckload of expectation, so no pressure for at least a few years, surely? They weren't going to play finals or challenge for the flag under Clarko any time soon.
    It should absolutely be taken into account but unfortunately it's a cut throat success is measured on Premierships business and I use that term as that's what it is theses days. Boards have distorted views of how good their clubs list is most of the time and think success can happen almost instantly by changing a few coaching personnel as that's much easier than changing a team of players that aren't good enough. Coaches can only do so much.

W.I.T.B

Teague Train derailed.
    Herd some stats rolled out on Radio on the way to work.
    Teague's coaching record for first 50 games coached was a fair bit better than Clarksons and Hardwicks first 50.
    Did they swing the axe way too soon and not give the guy a fair go and surround him with the right assistants and Football managers?

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    Teague Train derailed.
    Herd some stats rolled out on Radio on the way to work.
    Teague's coaching record for first 50 games coached was a fair bit better than Clarksons and Hardwicks first 50.
    Did they swing the axe way too soon and not give the guy a fair go and surround him with the right assistants and Football managers?
    It's a bit of a selective stat, which doesn't consider where the squads were at. Clarkson started from scratch, but did Teague didn't really have to rebuild. I'm happy to see Carlton to continue to be Carlton.
    I'm sure Carlton considered more than his win/loss record....

An Essendon win in a final this week would be devastating. They are now at 6200+ days since winning a final. Long may it continue.

Member Club Champion

As a Carlton supporter it's pretty embarrassing to be in the same scenario again. Our handling of Teague was poor from the moment he was given the head coach position. Was never given the opportunity to succeed with the staff and support he had around him.

Anyway I'm 50/50 about Ross Lyon taking over. He should turn us into a finals side but Ross Lyon coached teams have historically been unwatchable with how defensive he makes it.

Member Club Champion

An Essendon win in a final this week would be devastating. They are now at 6200+ days since winning a final. Long may it continue.
    This is all that matters now. Go Dogs!

I'm going for Essendon in that game, if Brisbane loses tomorrow night we've probably got a better chance of beating them than the Bulldogs next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    As a Carlton supporter it's pretty embarrassing to be in the same scenario again. Our handling of Teague was poor from the moment he was given the head coach position. Was never given the opportunity to succeed with the staff and support he had around him.

Anyway I'm 50/50 about Ross Lyon taking over. He should turn us into a finals side but Ross Lyon coached teams have historically been unwatchable with how defensive he makes it.
    How many female support staff are there at Carlton that Ross Lyon can perve on?

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

I am sure he will take an interest in AFLW

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Looking forward to this weekends games.

Port vs Cats - Port couldn't beat top 8 sides, Cats lost 2 out of 3. Cats by 2 goals
    Swans vs Giants - Callum Mills, Josh Kennedy and Nick Blakey out hurts the Swans. The Giants are custard heads though. Who knows which team turns up. Giants by a goal, after either catching up a 6 goal deficit, or giving away an 8 goal half time lead.
    Dees vs Lions - could be the Grand Final preview. Dees are full strength and flying. Brisbane have put away three average sides the last three weeks, but have improved each start. Dees by 2 goals.
    Bulldogs vs Bombers - since Bruce went down, the Dogs have looked toothless. Bont has gone missing. But come on, its only the Bombers. Dogs by 4 goals.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Member Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    I am sure he will take an interest in AFLW
    Not to worry, we're well experienced when it comes to handing out hush money.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    Not to worry, we're well experienced when it comes to handing out hush money.
    nobody does brown paper bags better than Carlton

Chopperlink

WITB

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

WBennett : The Bunny Colvin of OzGolf.

I picked Port, Melbourne, Sydney, and Dogs. Ladder positions are a good indicator for tipping usually.

How good is Geelong stinking it up!

Chopperlink

WITB

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    How good is Geelong stinking it up!
    You hate to see it....

Thread Information