Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default New Rules - relief from Penalty Area stakes

Just reading through new rules 15-17, and it seems that now if you are in a penalty area, a Stake can be moved - unless the committee has defined Stakes as immovable see 16.1a(2) - most clubs seem to do that. Under old rules I am fairly sure that there was no relief from hazard stakes if you are in the hazard.

(1) Removal of Movable Obstruction. Without penalty, a player may remove a movable obstruction anywhere on or off the course and may do so in any way. https://www.randa.org/en/rog/2019/ru...f-golf/rule-15

Had an interesting dilemma recently. Ball was in a dry penalty area, lying against penalty area stake that had fallen over and lying on the ground, completely removed from the hole it was meant to be in by about 15cm. After some careful thought i determined that it was now by definition a movable obstruction, no different than a coke bottle. So i just moved it - does that sound right?
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Just reading through new rules 15-17, and it seems that now if you are in a penalty area, a Stake can be moved - unless the committee has defined Stakes as immovable see 16.1a(2) - most clubs seem to do that. Under old rules I am fairly sure that there was no relief from hazard stakes if you are in the hazard.

(1) Removal of Movable Obstruction. Without penalty, a player may remove a movable obstruction anywhere on or off the course and may do so in any way. https://www.randa.org/en/rog/2019/ru...f-golf/rule-15

Had an interesting dilemma recently. Ball was in a dry penalty area, lying against penalty area stake that had fallen over and lying on the ground, completely removed from the hole it was meant to be in by about 15cm. After some careful thought i determined that it was now by definition a movable obstruction, no different than a coke bottle. So i just moved it - does that sound right?
    Sounds good to me.

Interesting scenario.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post

Hazard stake has always been able to be removed if you can get it out of the ground without affecting your ball.
    The only stake that cannot be touched is an OOB stake.
    Last edited by Steve57; 31st January 2021 at 10:39 PM.
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Steve57 View Post
    Hazard stake has always been able to be removed if you can get it out of the ground without effecting your ball.
    The only stake that cannot be touched is an OOB stake.
    Except most clubs seem to invoke a local rule that makes them Immovable.

The rule change Mark mentions is that you can now get relief if you are in the Penalty area. Previously it was only if you were outside the Hazard.

My club has distance markers that are in PVC pipe, so they can be easily removed, but our local rule prohibits their removal.

Thread Information