Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
    Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Default Srixon Fairway shaft

Need your expert advice, ozgolfers please.

I have a Srixon Fairway Z355 but the shaft is too filmsy for a stiff shaft (Miyazaki).

I don't want to change the fairway but need to change the shaft or even cut from the toe to make it stiffer- thoughts?

What is the best option?

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

I assume it is the stock Jinsoku shaft? They are pretty lightweight for a fairway shaft. They are counter balanced and designed to be a "whippy" shaft. My reg is marked as 54g. Suits my sub 100mph swing, but could be too light for some. This shaft is actually about average tip stiffness, it is the middle shaft flexs that are probably giving you the "Flimsy" feel. You will see a Flex code on the shaft. My Reg code is 7335. The Stiff code should be similar. This is a measure of flex from Butt to Tip. So 9 is stiffest, 1 is softest.

http://blog.tourspecgolf.com/miyazak...december-2009/

https://www.srixon.com/on/demandware...om-Catalog.pdf

Tipping this shaft is not going to change the light, whippy nature of the shaft. It of course will make it shorter, which can be left as it or be addressed by adding an extension, but that may change the butt stiffness/counter balance. And shorter will be lighter as well (only a gram or two).

If you want to get rid of the whip, and or change its flight you will need to replace the shaft. Refer to the Srixon 2014 Catalogue I have linked for some options and the chart diagram that gives an indication of weight and flight for each shaft option. Also note that these shafts are 0.350" tips, so you will need a shaft of that spec or will need to fit a shim to a 0.335" shaft.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    I assume it is the stock Jinsoku shaft? They are pretty lightweight for a fairway shaft. They are counter balanced and designed to be a "whippy" shaft. My reg is marked as 54g. Suits my sub 100mph swing, but could be too light for some. This shaft is actually about average tip stiffness, it is the middle shaft flexs that are probably giving you the "Flimsy" feel. You will see a Flex code on the shaft. My Reg code is 7335. The Stiff code should be similar. This is a measure of flex from Butt to Tip. So 9 is stiffest, 1 is softest.http://blog.tourspecgolf.com/miyazak...december-2009/https://www.srixon.com/on/demandware...om-Catalog.pdfTipping this shaft is not going to change the light, whippy nature of the shaft. It of course will make it shorter, which can be left as it or be addressed by adding an extension, but that may change the butt stiffness/counter balance. And shorter will be lighter as well (only a gram or two).If you want to get rid of the whip, and or change its flight you will need to replace the shaft. Refer to the Srixon 2014 Catalogue I have linked for some options and the chart diagram that gives an indication of weight and flight for each shaft option. Also note that these shafts are 0.350" tips, so you will need a shaft of that spec or will need to fit a shim to a 0.335" shaft.
    Ah thank you, very insightful. I guess changing the shaft could be an option perhaps selling it would be easier as it's difficult to source a specific shaft then the hassle to change it.

Thread Information