Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Grange or Glenelg

Recently moved to Adelaide and looking to join Grange or Glenelg. Have booked rounds at both courses to have a look. Play off 7. I know you can't go wrong with either but wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

From talking to friends they all prefer Glenelg as it is more interesting course however the idea of 2 courses for the price of 1 is very appealing since I will play 5 days a week. I will also will be using the range/practice facilities alot and I heard Grange has better facilities.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Welcome to Adelaide BVB21.
    I do prefer Glenelg as a course over Grange but 36 holes definitely has its advantages of mixing it up.
    Royal Adelaide is obviously the pinnacle here but not sure on the waiting list if you can play weekdays as 5/6 day member. Marcel from here might be able to shed more light on that.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Welcome to the forum BVB21

In terms of bang for dollar Grange wins by some margin. Glenelg though would still be good club to join

In terms of the courses both offer a good selection of holes. I particularly like Glenelg's #12 Par 5 and the finishing stretch 16- 18 to Grange West, Grange East has some good moments as well, hole #12 is my pick

The members at both courses are relatively friendly so you will be welcomed at either option. If you join Grange I can have my close friend Dave have a round with you and show you the ropes

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Grange is mint
    I’d join there in a heartbeat if I lived in radelaide...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    Grange is mint
    I’d join there in a heartbeat if I lived in radelaide...
    Tis

Only problem can be course traffic, a lot of members

Just don't even bother looking at Kooyonga
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    TisOnly problem can be course traffic, a lot of members
    Yeh but 36 holes surely you get a start!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I assume you're living somewhere near those courses, but Mount Compass is worth a look too if you're down that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    Yeh but 36 holes surely you get a start!
    You do, also pace of play has been reasonable the times I have played. I guess there is an element of tranquility you miss when it's so busy all the time.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

From a one visit interstater perspective, you are lucky to have the opportunity and choice to be able to consider both options. Both are excellent venues.

I'd have a slight preference for Grange. All the interstate visitor Ozgolfers were very impressed with Grange West. My one knock on both Grange East and Glenelg were the fairway bunkers, which were quite severe, and in my opinion an unfair penalty for a shot only slightly off line. For me, that aspect would get frustrating if playing on the course a lot.

The real question though, is will you be inviting us to play, and even better, making your course available as an SA Champs venue?
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Grange is our reciprocal and I've also had 4-5 hits at Glenelg over the years.

If I moved to Radelaide I would join RA, failing that I would join Grange. Glenelg is "nice" but that's about it for me.

Normally if someone was asking about Sydney, I'd ask where you intend to live but Adelaide is easier to get around for golf, particularly if you live on the beach between Glenelg and Henley

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    I assume you're living somewhere near those courses, but Mount Compass is worth a look too if you're down that way.
    Live near Burnside Village so Mount Compass is an hour drive otherwise would be a likely contender.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    From a one visit interstater perspective, you are lucky to have the opportunity and choice to be able to consider both options. Both are excellent venues.I'd have a slight preference for Grange. All the interstate visitor Ozgolfers were very impressed with Grange West. My one knock on both Grange East and Glenelg were the fairway bunkers, which were quite severe, and in my opinion an unfair penalty for a shot only slightly off line. For me, that aspect would get frustrating if playing on the course a lot.The real question though, is will you be inviting us to play, and even better, making your course available as an SA Champs venue?
    Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I really appreciate it. Didn't feel right about first post on forum asking for help. Will definitely give back to the community and having ozgolf members as guests will be a good way to show my appreciation 👍

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post

If I moved to Radelaide
    Pfft you ain't going nowhere!!

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    Pfft you ain't going nowhere!!
    Not until they bring back the Adelaide Rams so I don't have to endure the AFL drivel which is worse in Adelaide than Melbourne.

I know a fair few punters from Adelaide, some have moved home after living/working in Sydney, its a good life, fantastic golf and for $2m you get a palace rather than a run down shitter on 200 sqm.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Not until they bring back the Adelaide Rams so I don't have to endure the AFL drivel which is worse in Adelaide than Melbourne.I know a fair few punters from Adelaide, some have moved home after living/working in Sydney, its a good life, fantastic golf and for $2m you get a palace rather than a run down shitter on 200 sqm.
    Adelaide cops a bad rap. I am front the east coast and everyone I know thinks poorly of Adelaide but it's so nice here. Well layed out city, affordable, great place to raise a family. The only issue is employment but if you can a good job it's a great lifestyle.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Was it The Grange where we were harassed by some stroppy old farts for slow play?

During the SA Champs.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Grange.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Was it The Grange where we were harassed by some stroppy old farts for slow play?

During the SA Champs.
    You’re thinking of Kooyonga

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

BVB21,
    I moved from Sydney to Adelaide in 2006, you're spot on regarding it being a good place to live as long as you have secure employment. As for the golf... Course consideration only, Grange is clearly ahead. Ease of acess to tee times is what you need to investigate. I played a couple of Wednesdays ago and both courses were packed, I gather it's fairly busy most days. Pace of play was good however. If there is a waitlist and you need something in the interim I'd recommend Blackwood. Where have you been a member prior?
    "Golf makes different creatures of us all, some worse, some better, but all enthusiastic" Evening Journal, 1897.

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    You’re thinking of Kooyonga

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes you’re right.

Quote Originally Posted by marcel View Post
    BVB21,I moved from Sydney to Adelaide in 2006, you're spot on regarding it being a good place to live as long as you have secure employment. As for the golf... Course consideration only, Grange is clearly ahead. Ease of acess to tee times is what you need to investigate. I played a couple of Wednesdays ago and both courses were packed, I gather it's fairly busy most days. Pace of play was good however. If there is a waitlist and you need something in the interim I'd recommend Blackwood. Where have you been a member prior?
    Hi Marcel,I will definitely look into access of tee times because I have heard that both courses are very busy.Grange doesnt have a waitlist at the moment. I did check out Blackwood but I hate the drive there. I am definitely leaning towards Grange over Glenelg due to the better value.

BVB21

From Burnside Village....

Blackwood via the freeway, turn off at Stirling, then at Heathfield towards Loftia Park (Mark Oliphant Conservation Park) to Ironbank, then on to Cherry Gardens. You will probably get lost going to and from the first time, and see some duelling banjos. Don't get out of the car! Only joking. This way is better than going via Blackwood.

Glenelg - easiest to get too, straight down Greenhill Road/Anzac Highway or down Cross Rd. Turn off to Glenelg at Stonehouse ave, and flick back towards the airport/Golf club at Morphett Rd. A busy club with a good culture.

Grange - longest drive from Burnside Village, have to go past Royal Adelaide, might go past Kooyonga. Decide whether to go south or north of the city. 36 holes, all quite good, but a very busy club.

Local club - Mt Osmond, A lot of people in the eastern suburbs start at Mt Osmond, then move to a sandbelt club later. Great views, good clubhouse but a course where the land isn't as suited to golf as the other options. Side hill lies, uphill and downhill climbs, blind shots and fairways that repel golf balls, apart from winter when they get heavy. The membership is good, but the land isn't as suited to serious golf as the other options.

Have you been a member elsewhere in Australia? Overseas?

Other local options (depending on your desire to travel, pay fees, play a quality of golf game) range from nearby public eg North Adelaide South Course to Mt Compass (an hour away) to other hills options eg Echunga. A different league in price and quality to Glenelg/Grange but all of these may be an option if you choose to go somewhere with a waiting list.

Benje

Could it also be a case of how frequently the membership base play.
    For example I’m a member at RQ and 25% of the members would play less than a handful of times a year.
    Also a member at Nudgee where 98% of the membership would play once a week.

Glenelg and Grange members play often. Always have. And with COVID members at all clubs are playing more often than they were a year ago.

Thread Information