Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Default I need to hit more fairways!

For a while now I've been saying chipping & putting is the main weakness of my game. But let's look at some stats from a 2016 MGS article (https://mygolfspy.com/2016-report-ov...e-by-handicap/) compared to my stats in GolfShot.

Putting:

I averaged 31 putts per round over my last 20 rounds. So I'm actually doing OK there.

GIR:

This is an area I've been pretty happy with lately, and this backs that up. Over my last 20 rounds, I've averaged 46%. That's pretty good.

FIR:

So as a 4 handicap, this suggests I should be hitting above 50% of fairways per round. My average? 35%. And that's being bumped up a bit by me taking a driving iron off the tee a bit more often because my driver has been poor. Ouch. My average over the last ~2 years of keeping stats is 41%, which is only marginally better. I know "effective" fairways is a better stat, but my home course isn't exactly tight off the tee, so these numbers are a pretty good indication of my driver performance.

Just looking at recent rounds, it's fairly obvious to me that my (in)ability to get in the fairway off the tee is costing me shots. Sure, I'll miss a couple of putts, and hit a few average chips, but if I could place my ball in the middle of the fairway on all 14 par 4/5s, I'm going to shoot pretty close to even par.

So there's something I need to work on, and drawing some inspiration from Flavzz's thread on driver improvement, here's mine. My goal: I want to get to 60% FIW.

I'm going to make a serious effort over the next few months to work on my game off the tee, and post my progress here.

I don't have a really solid plan yet. Step 1 is probably to just hit more balls with driver/3w/3i, because that's not something I've been focusing on much when practicing recently. I'm also going to work on target selection - all the experts seem to think you need to pick a precise target, but I'm pretty slack there, usually just making a half-hearted attempt at picking a target line.
    Attached Images

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    Whatever the default is. I find it's pretty similar to reality (outside of soft winter fairways).
    Yeah sweet. I haven’t looked at mine but my fairway behaves pretty soft.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    What settings have you got the fairway on to get that much roll??
    maybe its the worm burners he is hitting 23m average height is very low.

BOB, imo you wanna be looking at hitting the ball higher with less spin, you will get easily 10m or more carry if you get around a 30m apex with spin of around 2200.
    and lower spin means straighter hits.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

I struggle with the low ball as well. Are there any good YouTube videos or tips for hitting it higher?

Teeing it higher and moving it forward in my stance results in big cuts. As does trying to sweep it or hit it on the up.

I do have a "penetrating" flight. My problem is my angle of attack is too low. I can launch it higher, but lose a bit of accuracy. Just need to practice I guess.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by aussieashley View Post
    I struggle with the low ball as well. Are there any good YouTube videos or tips for hitting it higher?
    thousands, but you need to find out why you hit it low first. If you address the wrong cause you will be doomed.
    ie obviously moving the ball forward (on its own) is not for you.

quick tip wider stance for higher, narrower stance for lower, without changing ball position relative to left foot.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

YouTube lessons are sh1t

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    thousands, but you need to find out why you hit it low first. If you address the wrong cause you will be doomed.ie obviously moving the ball forward (on its own) is not for you.quick tip wider stance for higher, narrower stance for lower, without changing ball position relative to left foot.
    This times 1000........Subtle changes - consistent results for me anyway

Played around with my AoA today, and while I can get my ball flight up and my carry towards 250, the accuracy goes out the window. It's probably worth more time practising though to see if I can make it work - but this mission is about increasing my accuracy, not distance.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Played around with my AoA today, and while I can get my ball flight up and my carry towards 250, the accuracy goes out the window. It's probably worth more time practising though to see if I can make it work - but this mission is about increasing my accuracy, not distance.
    Out of interest what spin numbers were you getting when you tried to increase your AOA, specifically back/side spin vs your standard swing?
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Quote Originally Posted by Flavzz View Post
    Out of interest what spin numbers were you getting when you tried to increase your AOA, specifically back/side spin vs your standard swing?
    2500 or so on a good swing. Side spin was a problem on bad swings.

2500 or so on a good swing. Side spin was a problem on bad swings.
    And what sort of AOA were you getting? I read this article the other day https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/features/equipment-features/2020/january/why-you-shouldnt-chase-high-launch-low-spin-in-2020/The chart is specifically interesting to note. If Ping engineers tell me it's not all about low spin but more about matching your numbers I believe them. Be interesting to see how your standard numbers match up.
    WITB

My launch monitor doesn't measure AoA. At a guess I was around 4 degrees at most. Spin was still a little high, but I wasn't using a really low-spin shaft.

My launch monitor doesn't measure AoA. At a guess I was around 4 degrees at most. Spin was still a little high, but I wasn't using a really low-spin shaft.
    All good. I wouldn't get too caught up in the numbers. You could also crank up the loft on the M5 and see what the flight is like (if you haven't already).
    WITB

I'm off 18 at the moment and average just under 33 putts per round. I don't always pick the line but I've always had a knack for judging the speed well. If I could get my greens up more I could bring my scores down further. I have been improving my GIR the last half dozen rounds though, getting the percentage from the teens or worse up to around 30, and it's shown in my scores being consistent in the mid-high 80s instead of 90+. Today I hit 6, and played those 6 holes at -1 (5p, 1b) in a round of 87. This has occurred in a few rounds, scoring well on the GIR holes, and has become my target area of improvement for this year.. I'd like to hit more fairways as well but at most of the courses I play it doesn't really matter if I miss slightly as there's usually still a clear shot at the green.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey86 View Post
    I'm off 18 at the moment and average just under 33 putts per round. I don't always pick the line but I've always had a knack for judging the speed well. If I could get my greens up more I could bring my scores down further. I have been improving my GIR the last half dozen rounds though, getting the percentage from the teens or worse up to around 30, and it's shown in my scores being consistent in the mid-high 80s instead of 90+. Today I hit 6, and played those 6 holes at -1 (5p, 1b) in a round of 87. This has occurred in a few rounds, scoring well on the GIR holes, and has become my target area of improvement for this year.. I'd like to hit more fairways as well but at most of the courses I play it doesn't really matter if I miss slightly as there's usually still a clear shot at the green.
    Finally someone has worked it out!

More power to you.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Finally someone has worked it out! More power to you.
    I don't think it is all about hitting greens, because it is not that easy, but if you do miss them in regulation, don't miss them by much.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I don't think it is all about hitting greens, because it is not that easy, but if you do miss them in regulation, don't miss them by much.
    Hitting greens isn’t easy but hitting greens to score better is that simple

Yeah, I don't mind missing the green if it's still close enough to putt or otherwise get close enough to the hole for an easy putt. I have been hitting my irons quite well lately for the most part, just working on improving the radar. Distances are mostly on point.As for fairways, like every other part of my game it's a work in progress, just trying to reduce the amount of times I end up in the trees first off, which I have improved on. The more clear shots at the green I can have, obviously the more chance I have of hitting more of them. At this point I'm not bothered if it's from the fairway or light rough.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

6 GIR should be enough to break 80. So for you it's not the GIR.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

It's correct to say hitting greens = lower scores, but "hit more greens" isn't much of a plan - how are you going to hit more greens? If you're missing greens because you need to work on short irons & wedges, do that, but if you're missing greens because you're missing fairways, work on that first. And yes, "effective fairways" is a better measure, but having a clear shot at the green doesn't matter if you're stuck in heavy rough or other bad lies off the fairway. That depends on the course you're playing.

I'm working on breaking 70, so I need birdies. Easier to make birdies from the fairway than the rough.

Anyway, I hit 8/14 fairways at Links Lay Bay yesterday, pretty happy with that.

Yeah, I need to improve in areas other than hitting greens, no question about that. Obviously to hit more greens I need to put myself in positions to do so more often, then it's up to me to hit the next shot well enough to get on the green or close enough to it. There are occasions where I'll be in such a position then stuff the next shot, usually chunking it. I have reduced this with practice and playing, though it still happens once or twice a round.
    I usually don't have too much trouble around or on the green so I'm mainly working on hitting more accurate tee and second shots, as those areas are where I tend to add most of the unwanted extra shots.
    Considering where I started a year ago after a long time not playing at all, I'm reasonably happy with my progress so far.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Yeah, I need to improve in areas other than hitting greens, no question about that. Obviously to hit more greens I need to put myself in positions to do so more often, then it's up to me to hit the next shot well enough to get on the green or close enough to it. There are occasions where I'll be in such a position then stuff the next shot, usually chunking it. I have reduced this with practice and playing, though it still happens once or twice a round.
    I usually don't have too much trouble around or on the green so I'm mainly working on hitting more accurate tee and second shots, as those areas are where I tend to add most of the unwanted extra shots.
    Considering where I started a year ago after a long time not playing at all, I'm reasonably happy with my progress so far.
    To me it sounds like you need to work on your game inside 120m

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    To me it sounds like you need to work on your game inside 120mSent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
    Certainly room for improvement there too but if I'm taking three or four shots to get there because of a bad tee shot it's not gonna help a whole lot on its own. So it's a bit of both. Unfortunately due to my work hours the only real time I have to practise is by playing on weekends, so I'm not expecting quick improvement. Either way I enjoy myself most of the time and I am seeing improvement coming slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    To me it sounds like you need to work on your game inside 120m

Other than pulling this from your behind, how have you come to this conclusion?

Thread Information