Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Default Adding wool/yarn to my G400 Max...

Little experiment to try and remove some of that 'tinny' sound in the G400 Max. Some sound clips here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haf0W6soExk but not the best due to variable range noise and use of phone camera. Gives you and idea using a variety of strikes.

I put 3 metres (~10 feet) of regular wool/yarn in using a skewer. I've keep a tiny amount threaded under the screw so it will be easy to remove when I need to. Haven't really noticed any difference in swing weight, although it's there, coz you know, physics. Took about 30 minutes all up... was really quite easy. Just had to shake the head every now and then to distribute the wool/yarn.

To my subjective ear and feel, it's a subtle improvement on anything but centre strikes. When I do flush one (rarely, hence the use of the Max) it sounds and feels much more solid than stock. I may experiment with another 5 feet and see how it feels.

Senior Member Major Winner

Yep done this with several drivers, including Ping. certainly makes a favourable difference from an acoustic sense. Can add considerable swing weight though. My current driver went from C7 to D2 by doing something similar to what you have done.

Quote Originally Posted by simmsy View Post
    My current driver went from C7 to D2 by doing something similar to what you have done.
    No doubt it's done something... any idea how much a few grams can change the swing weight? I'm not good enough to notice anything as I'm not that in tune with my swing yet.

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

At driver lengths each 2 grams of head weight will be approx 1 SW point

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    No doubt it's done something... any idea how much a few grams can change the swing weight? I'm not good enough to notice anything as I'm not that in tune with my swing yet.
    From recent experience gaming a F9 Cobra that was a number of swing weight points different to what I normally use in other drivers it can make a massive difference. For me the F9 was a POS with a total lack of feel and consistency of ball flight and impact position on the face. The other Driver gamed during the same game was no problem and effortless in comparison so it wasn't just a bad swing day.
    Having said all that you need to already have an idea what works for you.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Thanks gents.

Yeah, I have no idea what works for me... so it really is just an experiment. Typical newbie inconsistency... sometimes I stripe them on a rope, other times slice, then my latest common miss is a hook. Gotta love golf!

Thread Information