Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Golf Hacks

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Default Golf Hacks

Thought there might be some interesting ideas on how to solve, fix or improve common issues we encounter.

I will start with two;

1. Flag Stick Reflectors

I got this idea after seeing Commercial Flag Reflectors installed at another club. When I looked them up and priced them I found the average club was looking at $1k+ and for some options much more to install them.

So I got some Reflective Tape from Bunnings;

https://www.bunnings.com.au/brutus-5...-tape_p1091366

and installed it on our clubs flags (a single wrap just under the flag) and it worked a treat. That was about a year ago and the tape is still in place and working. You would probably have to renew it once year at least, But i have used less than half a metre of the roll so far, so a roll will last for a long time. I have since found a similar roll of tape at a discount store for $4! I handed the roll of tape over to our Course Director recently for the staff to take over applying it. No one seemed any the wiser and had not really noticed it. It is almost invisible, you have to know it is there really.

2. MGI Battery Slap.

I found initially that my Navigator battery wasn't a tight fit when installed and it was rubbing against the base during use, causing wear spots. I install some cloth tape over the spots and that had solved the problem. The battery now fits snug and the wear has stopped.

I have more I will post at opportunity. And I know there are lots more out there, so let's see yours!

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Tilapia Fish Burgers
    at Redland Bay Golf Club Bistro( that if they don’t already)

Tilapia Fish Burgers that are healthy, packed with flavour and make a great lighter alternative to a traditional burger.
    Last edited by Ferrins; 17th December 2020 at 10:17 AM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Tilapia Fish Burgers

Tilapia Fish Burgers that are healthy, packed with flavour and make a great lighter alternative to a traditional burger.
    Where did we get those $10 pizzas??

Tilapia Fish Burgers

Plenty of Tilapia in the Water Holes. Good size ones too. You can also buy it cheap at the Seafood House.

Senior Member Major Winner

Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    Where did we get those $10 pizzas??
    Gino’s

Last one was crap though.

Tilapia Fish Burgers

Fish burgers are great if your a Pussy..........................Cat.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Elastomeric Pipe Insulation (Couple of bucks from hardware stores) - wrap it around buggy handles hold it together with gaffer tape, protects the buggy from wear marks and stops it swivelling around.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Elastomeric Pipe Insulation (Couple of bucks from hardware stores) - wrap it around buggy handles hold it together with gaffer tape,  protects the buggy from wear marks and stops it swivelling around.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    Thought there might be some interesting ideas on how to solve, fix or improve common issues we encounter.

I will start with two;

1. Flag Stick Reflectors

I got this idea after seeing Commercial Flag Reflectors installed at another club. When I looked them up and priced them I found the average club was looking at $1k+ and for some options much more to install them.

and installed it on our clubs flags (a single wrap just under the flag) and it worked a treat. That was about a year ago and the tape is still in place and working. You would probably have to renew it once year at least, But i have used less than half a metre of the roll so far, so a roll will last for a long time. I have since found a similar roll of tape at a discount store for $4! I handed the roll of tape over to our Course Director recently for the staff to take over applying it. No one seemed any the wiser and had not really noticed it. It is almost invisible, you have to know it is there really.

2. MGI Battery Slap.

I found initially that my Navigator battery wasn't a tight fit when installed and it was rubbing against the base during use, causing wear spots. I install some cloth tape over the spots and that had solved the problem. The battery now fits snug and the wear has stopped.

I have more I will post at opportunity. And I know there are lots more out there, so let's see yours!
    Thanks for the reflector tape idea. I'm going to try this at my club.

I had the same issue with my MGI. I cut a piece of that non-slip mat material that come in small rolls for shelves, etc. Works great as well.

I was also thinking about putting some of that or something similar in my buggy seat. I normally keep my rangefinder in there and would like to cushion it a little bit more.

If going to USA, get some Driveway markers from Home Depot for less than $2. They are identical to Alignment Sticks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    Thanks for the reflector tape idea. I'm going to try this at my club.

I had the same issue with my MGI. I cut a piece of that non-slip mat material that come in small rolls for shelves, etc. Works great as well.

I was also thinking about putting some of that or something similar in my buggy seat. I normally keep my rangefinder in there and would like to cushion it a little bit more.
    Good idea for the seat. I find that anything stored in there gets a pretty hard time due to the lack of suspension and any give in the Buggy ride.

Here are a couple more hacks.

The first one I got from Chappy.

1. Grip Bore Cleaner

I have a few of these to clean out residue paper and glue inside a blown off grip;

https://www.golfworks.com/grip-bore-cleaner/p/gbct/

But you can make you own that are just as effective out of some threaded rod ( 1/2" ) and an angle grinder;

2. Quick Grip Clean

If your grips start to get a bit shiny and slippery, use a Sanding Block to give them a quick clean off and roughen up;

Attached Images

Blog Entries

Thought this was a thread about simmsy

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Thought this was a thread about simmsy
    Glorious.

Blog Entries

To wear in new shoes, swap the insoles with your old shoes.
    Your feet have already found their 'happy place' in the old insoles, meaning less movement and risk of blisters.

Next season, after the uppers match your feet better, swap them back.
    It will also feel like getting new shoes for zero outlay.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

1. Flag Stick Reflectors

and installed it on our clubs flags (a single wrap just under the flag) and it worked a treat. That was about a year ago and the tape is still in place and working. You would probably have to renew it once year at least!

I did this and it does work great. The biggest improvement is on the longer shots, say +160m.

The speed and ease at which the pin lock kicks in, especially on the latest version lasers.

Golf Glove Rotation

I find that having two gloves in rotation helps with longevity, and in Qld's humidity helps dry them out between uses. I apply some Velcro to my buggy handle and hang the glove not in use off it between rotations. Funnily enough I seem to wear down the Glove Velcro before I wear out of the glove! I rotate each hole (one glove for odds, one for evens helps to keep track) but longer cycles work just fine. It is the drying of the glove that is probably the most important part of the hack. It also stops them smelling dank.

As an adjunct, if you find you are wearing out your glove in the heel of your palm, a grip check is probably in order.

Shoe Lacing and Tying

Credit to Ferrins for part of this one. Runners and those that compete Athletically probably already know about it. I love my New Balance Shoes but the flat laces have been a pain as they would not stay done up. Ferrins showed me the top re-lace and tie trick and that solved my problem. Some googling threw up this video that incorporates different lacings for different feet types and fits, as well as the top lace set up;

Golf Glove Rotation

I find that having two gloves in rotation helps with longevity, and in Qld's humidity helps dry them out between uses. I apply some Velcro to my buggy handle and hang the glove not in use off it between rotations. Funnily enough I seem to wear down the Glove Velcro before I wear out of the glove! I rotate each hole (one glove for odds, one for evens helps to keep track) but longer cycles work just fine. It is the drying of the glove that is probably the most important part of the hack. It also stops them smelling dank.

As an adjunct, if you find you are wearing out your glove in the heel of your palm, a grip check is probably in order.
    I do this with my buggy handle and gloves. I also have some Velcro on the back of the remote so that I can stick it on the side instead of using the cradle all the time.

Cleaning stained Leather Shoes

There are various cleaners that will do the job, e.g. Jif, Sugar Soap etc, but the one I find works best and quickest is Aldi's Di San Pre-Wash Stain Remover. Spray a little on and use a slightly damp scrubbing bush to clean any deep stains. Wipe off with a damp cloth and it is usually done. Apply a 2nd spray and repeat in need, but I haven't had to very often. You may already have it your laundry, but if not it is cheap as chips ($1.25 for a 500ml spray bottle). Choice voted it best in Category again this year.

Preserving Headcovers

Driver, Fairway and Hybrid Headcovers don't seem to last these days. They start to disintegrate very quickly when being used. I presume a combination of UV damage, Sunscreens, Body Oils and the like, and the rubbish material a lot of them are made from now. We have had the same thing happen with Chinese made Upholstered Furniture. The Faux Leathers and Vinyls start to flake and peel within a couple of years. I am not a big fan of a lot of Headcovers in use anyway. They can be hard to get off and put back on, are often ill fitting, and then there is the inevitable loss of one or more every now and then. I would go Sans Covers, but the way my Zip Buggy jiggles and bangs clubs around and together in the bag makes it a non viable option.

My solution is to use Cheap Knitted Headcovers. It works particularly well for me as well, with the playing bag being changed each round. They tend to fit in the bag better, are easy to put on and take off. And they don't fade, or fall apart from anything other than long term wear.

I find clubs with Headcovers are also a pain to store in my club rack. I prefer to leave them off, But I have run out of cupboard and/or drawer space to store them. A couple of big SULO bins would work well, but they aren't a cheap option!

Clean grubbed up golf balls - Gumption + scourer @ elbow grease
    Steel heads - Bar Keepers Friend
    Last edited by Ferrins; 2nd January 2021 at 08:48 AM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Clean grubbed up golf balls - Gumption + scourer @ elbow grease
    Steel heads - Bar Keepers Friend
    Gumption is excellent cleaner for all stain removal

Golf Glove Rotation

An addendum to this one. I was finding that the Qld heat was weakening the glue on the Velcro strips and they were starting to peel off. I found some heavy duty (3KG) Velcro at Bunnings and that seems to hold much better. So far at least.

Thread Information