Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Senior Member Major Winner

Default Links Lady Bay Tues 26th January 7:05am

After a brief discussion over a lovely Lunch at the Gumeracha Hotel after the Xmas Mug it's been decided we will kick off 2021 with Links Lady Bay on the Public Holiday Tuesday 26th January.

2 Groups Booked
    7:05am Tee Off
    $55 for Game
    $7 for Mens Comp off Whites (optional)
    $40 for Cart (1 has been booked for BYU)
    Nothing has been planned for Lunch.

1. Hatchman
    2. BYU
    3. Thecollective
    4. Hard_Pan
    5. Wazamac
    6. DMG
    Last edited by Hatchman; 25th January 2021 at 02:30 PM.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Thanks for hit guys, made for a fine day

Special thanks for the company BYU & DMG in the lead group and tolerating my GCA waffle while we played the back nine. Apologies I could not hang around; I needed to help my wife clean the holiday house and drive home in time for school preparation.

Course was in relatively good nick although the greens were a bit of a lottery. A lot of thick poa growing on many greens made for a bumpy ride to the hole. Bunkers have always been a feature of Lady Bay, superb contouring

#10 is a really good hole and probably my pick of the lot, the close of #17 & #18 and the start of #1-#4 are also clear standouts. I will never get #14 no matter how hard I try, a superb green but the tee shot is weird to say the least. Had a go at my 'holes that aint holes' with #16 played as a short 4 from the back of the #14 green. A great tee shot with the key line to play as close to the left hand side bunkers for an easy chip.

Sounds like a great day for all except Hatchy 😅
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    Had a Chicken Schnit & Chips with Pepper Gravy. It is without a doubt the worst Pepper Gravy I have ever had. It was too thin and had white lumps though out it. It had very little flavour of any sort and no heat despite having Pepper Corns in it. The white lumps make me think rather than making new Gravy they’ve thinned an existing one out and added some flour to thicken not stirring it in enough which goes in line with it was too thin and lacking flavour.
    This might be worth a listen tonight then....

Attached Images

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

When is the next round? I'm probably out with pennants in Feb - when did we decide to have the champs?

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    When is the next round? I'm probably out with pennants in Feb - when did we decide to have the champs?
    Mid to end March was discussed for Champs.
    I’ve sent Marcel a msg if he can check for RA availability.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 26th January 2021 at 07:05 PM.

W.I.T.B

I’m out for Feb, will be interstate for most of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the hit guys. Started ok, fell into a slump then ok on the back nine.
    Seriously had mixed feelings about playing there.
    Yankalilla Bakery on way home was nice but very busy. I did my duty and sent photos to Pep's.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Thanks for the photos! Glad someone managed to visit the spiritual home of kitchener

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    Special thanks for the company BYU & DMG in the lead group and tolerating my GCA waffle while we played the back nine.
    Always a pleasure hitting sticks with you and BYU!

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    Thanks for hit guys, made for a fine day

Special thanks for the company BYU & DMG in the lead group and tolerating my GCA waffle while we played the back nine. Apologies I could not hang around; I needed to help my wife clean the holiday house and drive home in time for school preparation.

Course was in relatively good nick although the greens were a bit of a lottery. A lot of thick poa growing on many greens made for a bumpy ride to the hole. Bunkers have always been a feature of Lady Bay, superb contouring

#10 is a really good hole and probably my pick of the lot, the close of #17 & #18 and the start of #1-#4 are also clear standouts. I will never get #14 no matter how hard I try, a superb green but the tee shot is weird to say the least. Had a go at my 'holes that aint holes' with #16 played as a short 4 from the back of the #14 green. A great tee shot with the key line to play as close to the left hand side bunkers for an easy chip.
    I'm with you on not understanding that 14th hole one little bit.
    The green and the bunkers around the green are fine. It's the blind Tee shot in relation to the shape of the water hazard and that lone tree and the length of the hole that make it all kinds of wrong. I have no idea how the hell the players that don't hit it past 180m play this hole.

Lets look at the Tee shot as this is where the hole is just completely whack.
    For the first time played player you have absolutely no idea which way the hole goes and where you should be aiming your Tee shot as everything you need to avoid can not be seen.
    The Tee shot is totally blind hiding that there's water trouble for the long hitters and water on the right for the average hitters as well. It's only once you've played the hole that you can make out a couple Red stakes but still don't know how far it is really to reach them.
    There is no diagram on the Tee Block that shows you the the shape of the hole and where the fairway is in relation to the creek that runs across it feeding the water hazard on the right hand side of the quite narrow Fairway that gives you the preferred line into the Green.
    There's a fairway bunker on the left that can be seen from the Tee with the whole narrow section of fairway beyond that.
    It's all thick snake/lost ball country on the left once off fairway.
    In a straight line from Tee to Green you see 1 lone medium height tree.
    If you lay up or can only drive it to just short of the start of the water hazard on the right at it's closest point to the Tee your faced with a 140m-170m shot into the hole with water carry and a medium height tree in the line. To make matters worse this hole plays into the wind most of the time.

This is what I would do to possibly fix it.
    1. Build up the tee blocks so every thing can be seen from the Tee.
    2. Make the Fairway much wider on the left so it's not fairway or off in with the snakes.
    3. If a bunker on the left was necessary it should be shallow so if you have the stones you could take on the water carry.
    4. Remove that stand alone tree as it's not necessary to block all but the higher ball strikers from having a shot at the green. Bunkering around the Green and water carry on the layup line is more than enough.
    5. Keep the green shape and bunkering but drag it 20-30m back towards the foot bridge and closer to the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Flavzz View Post
    Sounds like a great day for all except Hatchy ������
    Aside from hitting it poorly off the Tee most of the day I had great day once I got there and caught up with the rest until it was lunch time.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 27th January 2021 at 09:14 PM.

W.I.T.B

This is a great Hatchy summary... you've described pretty much everything TC spoke about as we were playing this hole. It's my least favourite on the course... and with everything you've mentioned above, it's also quite ugly with the sheds and various other crap on the left side of it.

BYU actually nailed this hole which was amazing for a first time player of it. I'll leave it to him to advise how much luck was involved with his tee shot, but his 2nd over the tree in front of the green was all class!

I stand by my earlier comment - Links Lady-Boy sucks, well mainly the back nine!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    BYU actually nailed this hole which was amazing for a first time player of it. I'll leave it to him to advise how much luck was involved with his tee shot, but his 2nd over the tree in front of the green was all class!
    Thanks. Pretty poor contact with my 3i off the tee (but hey, my playing partners certainly didn't show me the way ) left me about 175 out, into a breeze that I figured was adding 10-15m to the shot. I foolishly took on the back-right pin, threw a 4h high up into the air and ended up on the back-right fringe, maybe 5m from the pin. Missed the putt on the low side, but tapped in for par.

Quote Originally Posted by nadg63 View Post
    I stand by my earlier comment - Links Lady-Boy sucks, well mainly the back nine!
    I liked it. Back 9 had a different feeling, but some good holes.

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    Thanks. Pretty poor contact with my 3i off the tee (but hey, my playing partners certainly didn't show me the way )
    Hey, technically we did... I mean we both went straight at the pin... just not in the air... and not very far.

After my very first hit there (very rare day of no wind) nailing one down down the center on the optimal line only to not find the ball because it went too long I've always aimed it down the right hand side with a 5 wood in no wind or 3 wood into the wind leaving me short of the hazard and 140-170m in. Absolutely no risk in the tee shot this way as push/cut or pull/draw is completely covered.

W.I.T.B

Thread Information