Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Murray Downs GC

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Murray Downs GC

Stayed at the resort this week with the family. Course exceeded my expectations. Despite being a resort course the routing was good and the conditions were firm and fast. I was particularly impressed with the large undulating greens, once the sun came out they played firm and fast with plenty of bounce. Even at my high spin rate I struggled to stop the ball on the greens. Haven't played on greens this firm since the Victorian Sandbelt.

It's quite a drive to get to Murray Downs but the course is certainly worth a visit. Despite being run down the resort presented affordable accommodation. Please ensure you book over the phone (not through the internet as you void the 10% discount) and sign up for the free membership before booking the accommodation. If you book midweek when it is quiet there is a good chance you will get a free upgrade of the room (with the resort membership) hence do not book the top room. Dinner at the club is ordinary and over-priced, head over to Swan Hill for a better dining experience (10 mins drive).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1HTkKYfmVP7K1msB9
    Last edited by thecollective; 12th December 2020 at 07:52 PM.

Looks like a nice track! Did you go all that way just for golf?

Quote Originally Posted by Flavzz View Post
    Looks like a nice track! Did you go all that way just for golf?
    No, we went to Mildura first then drove the additional 2 hours to Swan Hill. They have a Pioneer Settlement village; similar to Sovereign Hill in Ballarat along with an old fashioned Murray cruise and an evening light show. This kept the family busy in the afternoon while I recovered/tagged along from playing golf most mornings (one afternoon round due to ladies Christmas ambrose). You really feel like you're in the desert, almost like Palm Springs in the states, the Sun is hot and it normally gets quite windy and dusty. It's a good golfing experience and the course plays way harder than what it looks to the eye, particularly around the greens. Most of the bunkers have very little sand, almost like the Victorian Sandbelt.
    Last edited by thecollective; 12th December 2020 at 07:53 PM.

Senior Member Major Winner

Glad someone else from OG had a look at it. It's one of my favourite NSW golf courses.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I played it once, but like most courses these days, I hardly remember anything.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Haven't played it for about 4 years but always considered it the best of the Murray courses
    "Golf makes different creatures of us all, some worse, some better, but all enthusiastic" Evening Journal, 1897.

Quote Originally Posted by marcel View Post
    Haven't played it for about 4 years but always considered it the best of the Murray courses
    I reckon Coomealla gets close but overall MD wins the chocolates.

Bear in mind I haven't played the Yarrawonga tracks or Corowa, Cobram Barooga, Rich River etc.

They're both better than any of those
    "Golf makes different creatures of us all, some worse, some better, but all enthusiastic" Evening Journal, 1897.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

I am going to have to go further west

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    I reckon Coomealla gets close but overall MD wins the chocolates.Bear in mind I haven't played the Yarrawonga tracks or Corowa, Cobram Barooga, Rich River etc.
    Murray Downs is greatCorowa the best on the River by a fair bit imho

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Curious why?MD is greatCoomeala is decent for a track in the middle of nowhere and is easily the best in Mildura, but it wouldn't be in the top 5 on the river run

With the caveat I haven't been to Coomealla for 3 years and Murray Downs for about 7......MD I consider the best design of the lot, thought there was only 1 head scratcher feature (something to do with an area between adjoining fairways if memory serves). Coomealla I just enjoy more than Cobram Old which was a course I grew up playing and would place it as next best. Haven't played Corowa for about 30 years so is probably unfair to judge on that. Will do an Adelaide to Sydney trip via the River up until Albury when the Earth stops spinning in the wrong direction

Senior Member Major Winner

No arguments from me.
    Apart from Black Bull and Barham I've played all the courses along the Murray stretch more than 3 times and rate Murray Downs the best.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Thread Information