Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

How did you go?
    Pretty solid. Played a lot more than I thought I would given what’s been happening in the world.

Did you achieve what you wanted to achieve?
    The consistency I crave is improving, evidenced by the narrower handicap range compared to previous years. That said, I’m still prone to a low 20 pts meltdown occasionally, which I’d really like to get out of my game.
    I didn’t make the top 16 in the Club Champs. I played solid all 3 rounds, but just not quite sharp enough.
    As a consolation, I did make the seeded groupings (Top 8 gross) in the FNQ Open.
    Our international trip got cancelled so I missed out on ticking off a few overseas courses.

Did your golf game go backwards or forwards?
    Forwards, if only by a marginal amount.

Are there any outstanding experiences from the year, that you'd like to share?
    The whole SA/ VIC Champs extended road trip with the lads (special mention to the barefoot shenanigans at the Dunes Cups Course).
    There should have been more but the Kung Flu put a stop to that.

Did you play some great courses?
    Got another round in at my favourite course, St Andrews Beach.
    Glenelg GC
    Port Fairy
    The Dunes (Cups course)

---------------

Handicap
    Started on: 5.9

No. of rounds: 91

Highest Handicap: 6.7

Lowest Handicap: 3.8

Finished on: 4.5

---------------

What are your goals for 2020?
    The same as usual… more consistency, and make the Club Champs Matchplay (top 16 gross).
    A decent showing at the CoC would also be nice, but in reality that’s unlikely.

Got any golfing holidays planned?
    I’m participating in an April golfing weekend up here that some SEQ mates are travelling up for, as well as the usual CoC foray. Maybe a Brisbane trip at some point, but beyond that it’s hard to predict.

Have a particular course lined up to play?
    I want to play El Arish & Tully for the first time ever… other than that, whatever i can get on.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I still think it is too early, but I'll get this out of the way now.

1. How did you go?
    Great! Results don't matter. I play golf again, unlike the previous 5 years or so.

2. Did you achieve what you wanted to achieve?
    There were no goals set, and I probably wasn't even planning on a full return to golf, since at the start of the year I couldn't even walk around a course.
    When I did return, I just wanted to enjoy it and play lots of different courses, which I've done.

3. Did your golf game go backwards or forwards?
    The handicap movement will tell you that it went backwards, but that was a legacy handicap. For some reason, I couldn't play to a handicap that I had five years ago. So, on my return I was pretty bad, but with more golf, and working on it, I've definitely improved quite a bit, although not to the level that I was before the golf break.

4. Are there any outstanding experiences from the year, that you'd like to share?
    Vic Champs. Work and injuries made me fall out of the habit of going to OZgolf events, but I'm ready for the next one wherever that might be.

5. Did you play some great courses?
    I enjoyed nearly all courses that I played this year, but Port Fairy, Warrnambool, and Hamilton Island would be the highlights. Rosewood was the lowlight.

---------------

Handicap
    Started on:

No. of rounds:
    20 competition rounds, and at least 43 in total including 9 holes and social rounds.
    I replaced all rounds from 2015 to 2019 in my Golflink records, that is, I played more comps this year than the previous 5 years.

Highest Handicap:

Lowest Handicap:
    10.0 after reaching the highest.

Finished on:

---------------

What are your goals for 2021?
    - Play golf regularly
    - Get a club membership again
    - Try out for the pennant team
    - Improvement would be nice, and I will work on it, which isn't something that I have really done in the past

- I'll consider any OZgolf Champs on offer
    - I plan to take my clubs when I travel for work. So far that seems to be Adelaide in Feb, and maybe Darwin in June.

It's too hard to plan anything these days, but I would like to keep playing some different courses, including some country courses around an hour or so outside of Brisbane.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

How did you go?

Played the most golf of my life. With no kids sport, and a little more work flexibility allowing an early Wednesday round before work, 2 comp rounds a week became the norm.

Struggled for form in the middle of the year when doing massive amounts of after hours work trying to get an organisation of 8000 staff working remotely, but once I got off call and fixed some health issues, started to get the game back to where it should have been.

Yes and no. Highlight was going 5-1 in the ACT Handicap Pennant season, giving up to 8 shots away. And our team bonded to become an exceptionally tight group of mates, which lead to a surprising victory over Yass in the GF.
    I shot 78/69 to be top 10 gross in the Gold Creek Open and backed it up with 84 for a surprisingly good result against the ACT's strongest field.
    Shot 81/72 in the District Champs for top 6 nett and top 15ish overall for another decent result for a spud.

Lowlights.
    I have still never won a Vic Champs event.
    And I threw away the lead in the B Grade Club Champs with 9 holes to go. 51.... omg. It still burns.

But I am back to a daily of 9 and the game is where it should be.

It felt like backwards, but the handicap suggests about the same.

Vic Champs as always. Playing the last round solo at GLGC on the day Covid closed Canberra down. Finished after sunset shooting 78. Once the restrictions were lifted, we managed to get back out and about with a trip down the Murray in the new Stinger being a highlight.

Port Fairy, Warrnambool, Royal Canberra. I really enjoyed the two courses at Cobram and Yarrawonga Murray was in spectacular nick. Ended up with 26 tracks for the year which was a new record.

As for less than great courses, The Glades is overrated, Kangaroo Valley was a goat track, and Mount Broughton needs money thrown at it.

---------------

Handicap
    Started on: 8.0

No. of rounds: 80 something golflinked, another 25 not golfinked!

Highest Handicap: 10.0 (anchored)

Lowest Handicap: 6.2

Finished on: 7.5

---------------

Have fun. Be less frustrated when things dont go well. Get rid of the 6kgs I have put on over the last two months through drinking too much. Maybe have another lesson.
    Maintain a winning record in pennant – don’t let up when leading, don’t give up when losing. Sounds simple really.

King Island and Barney in 3 weeks if Covid doesn't f&*k it up.

Cape Wickham and Ocean Dunes will do.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Major Winner

How did you go?
    It was a strange year. I had 3 months off when COVID started and I didn't consider golf essential or exercise. The break confirmed my feelings for the game. It's not just hitting the ball that matters but everything around it. Getting outside, the trees and grass, chatting with strangers or catching up with long-term mates.

Despite playing horribly I enjoyed golf again this year so that's yes.

My game went a long way backwards. The good is still there but not for long enough. Rather than 2 or 3 bad holes a round I'm having 6 or more.

Vic Champs and COC were the highlights. There's a bit of a pattern here and I'm happy to continue it.

Coming back from 5 or 6 down to a bloke in red hot form to win my match in the UCW was the single round highlight of my golf. I somehow flipped a switch and no matter how he played up to that point, I made him look like the chopper he is.

Port Fairy is sensational and although I enjoyed it on the day, the more I think about Warrnambool the more I like it too. Thanks to AndyP I discovered Maleny very late in the year, another treat.

While Cobden might not be the best golf course, the Vic Champs Monday wind-down round of 12 (14?) holes in a group of 8 was a superb way to spend a few hours on a golf course.

---------------

Handicap Started on: 10.9

No. of rounds: 31 in Golflink. Another 10ish not in there.

Highest Handicap: 18.1

Lowest Handicap: 10.9

Finished on: 12.1. One stand out round at the end of the year has dropped this to an unrealistic number.

---------------

I'd like to remove so much rubbish from a round. I haven't worked out how I'll do that yet but I'll start by simplifying things as much as I can.

Vic Champs, in whatever form that takes

Nothing of note.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

How Did You Go?
    With the lack of golf at the start of the year, I made up for it in the rest of the year. Had my best average "played to" handicap in ten years.

Had no handicap goals for the year. With travelling around my aim was to play as many different course as I could. Covid curtailed this a bit but still managed to play 50. Something to aim for in 2021!

My game was pretty steady all year, even with playing so many different courses.

Just the opportunity to play so many different course throughout the year. So many interesting courses and hidden gems.

I guess it is how you determined great, but Atherton, Maleny, Capricorn Resort and Shell Harbour left good vibes.

Handicap
    Started on: 6.6

No. of rounds: 67

Highest Handicap: 9.1

Lowest Handicap: 6.6

Finished on: 8.9
    Considering all the different courses and the ones not played before - pretty happy with the handicap drift.

To continue on my journey of playing as many different course as possible.

In the Covid world who knows, but our plan is to travel through NSW onto SA and WA throughout this year.

Would like to have crack at the Nullarbor Links but the border restrictions might have a say in that.
    Last edited by MAZA68; 3rd January 2021 at 11:20 AM.

1. How did you go?

Overall it was very scratchy. I have always prided myself of consistency with iron and that disappeared this year. A couple of covid enforced breaks didn't help but to be honest it was bad before covid hit! Really 2019 was pretty average for me too golf wise.

Not at all.

Backwards

4. Are there any outstanding experiences from the year, that you'd like to share?

Only one I can think of is the lesson I had mid December. in 45 minutes I went from praying the ball would go somewhere near where I aimed, to actually thinking I might play to a decent level again at some stage.

Only played my home course all year, but Coomealla is a great course!

---------------

Handicap

Started on: 3.7
    No. of rounds:36
    Highest Handicap:6.9
    Lowest Handicap:3.6
    Finished on:4.9

---------------

Scratch. Been a goal for ever. but I have done nothing to achieve it the last couple of years so this year I have commited to consistent lessons. Also I want to get 170 ball speed. Currently max out at 160.

COVID says no.

As above.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

1. How did you go?

about as good as World did in 2020

I bought a new driver

backwards - highest handicap ever (since i was a beginner) and more rounds in the 90s than Steve Waugh

after about 40 rounds in a row of handicap going up at home, go play an away course and win the open tournament (nett) by 3 shots

The ones around Barwon Heads Victoria, and a handful in Jakarta

---------------

Handicap
    Started on:

No. of rounds:

Highest Handicap:

Lowest Handicap:

Finished on:

---------------

sandbagging the Senior Order of merit events

Northern Ireland

Royal Portrush
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

How did you go?

Pretty bad year for 2020 in general.... started the year very strong with some good games in there, got a few lessons into me and my swing was the best it has been for awhile. but managed to stuff my back and left shoulder, which pretty much ended my run for the year. Tried to carry on till September, but with the constant slogging, I decided to take a break from the game. Had a few rounds before end of the year and showed some sign of promises in getting back to the game

Tested out a few JPX irons, but now am staying with the JPX919 forged as it seems to be suitable for my swing, consistent with distance and forgiving enough to get me out of the shite; Biggest issue is still my setup with my stance to alignment either is out or my swing is blocking it. A straight right from target is a common problem.

Pennants cancellation this year was disappointing, as I was at the top of my game then.... oh well, let see how 2021 goes.

short games was improved with practice with my up-n-down game in top form.... but with lack of practice due to injury, it pretty much became inconsistent..... still pulls out some during a round, but just part of the round.

Putting has been good this year after working on my pacing last year, and now this year was getting my brain to trust my line instead of letting my brain talk me into changing my aim during address

nope..... my goal was to break 10hdcp, but I think it was giving me unnecessary pressure.

Felt like I am back to square 1.

Was in the same group with my mate and he got a hole in 1, but I missed it because I was walking back to my bag at the time;
    but for me..... nothing outstanding

Played Royal Freemantle for the first time.... tough course with the wind... punishing round

---------------

Handicap
    Started on: GA 9.9

No. of rounds: 46 comp rounds.

Highest Handicap: GA 12.7 (19/12/2020)

Lowest Handicap: GA 8.8 (10/05/2020)

Finished on: GA 12.7
    ---------------

for 2021, I am just looking at fixing my back and getting my swing back to an acceptable level. Will get some lessons again to work on my stance and get more practice

none at the moment; just waiting for the day we can fly again

nothing special

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post

- Play golf regularly
    - Get a club membership again
    - Try out for the pennant team
    - Improvement would be nice, and I will work on it, which isn't something that I have really done in the past
    Ticks for the first two, and the fourth is probably ticked too with a lower handicap and shooting 3 over twice at my home club, which is only bettered by a 1 over that I had 6 years ago. I don't know if I will trial for pennants. My handicap is in the right range now, but I think I would be shafting my regular Sunday playing partner if I committed to 6 weeks, plus practice rounds of pennants on Sundays.

Now that I'm playing more, I'll add some additional goals.
    - Get handicap back to 6, preferably 5.8 or better.
    - Play a round to even par or better.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Ticks for the first two, and the fourth is probably ticked too with a lower handicap and shooting 3 over twice at my home club, which is only bettered by a 1 over that I had 6 years ago. I don't know if I will trial for pennants. My handicap is in the right range now, but I think I would be shafting my regular Sunday playing partner if I committed to 6 weeks, plus practice rounds of pennants on Sundays.

Now that I'm playing more, I'll add some additional goals.
    - Get handicap back to 6, preferably 5.8 or better.
    - Play a round to even par or better.
    Was the 1 over the day we played at wolly?

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    Was the 1 over the day we played at wolly?
    I had a look back and you and Tim played with me there on New Year's Eve 2014. I shot 71 that day, and you had 70 nett 66. My 68 was about a month later.

Thread Information