Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Best Fairways of 2020

Whilst my G10 4 wood has been in the bag for near on 10 years I'm considering trying some new offerings.

What current models are people playing and would recommend to try? I'd like something I can adjust from 15-16.5 degrees.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Current models? I've hit the SIM titanium and Cobra Speedzone. Cobra was solid, loved the SIM (I think you were at that Drummond event when I tried it?). Currently playing an M5, which is pretty much the same though, and heaps cheaper if you can still find one.

Mizuno ST190 is good too if you can find one - I've got the TS version in my QLD bag (but would probably recommend the non-TS).

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    Current models? I've hit the SIM titanium and Cobra Speedzone. Cobra was solid, loved the SIM (I think you were at that Drummond event when I tried it?). Currently playing an M5, which is pretty much the same though, and heaps cheaper if you can still find one.

Mizuno ST190 is good too if you can find one - I've got the TS version in my QLD bag (but would probably recommend the non-TS).
    M5 is an absolute corker of a fairway wood. Love the adjustable weight on the sole, great feel off the face. Only downside for me; not as soft landing as my Yonex, not such a bad thing depending on the course you play (as you get more distance with the rollout) but no good for me coming into the Par 5 #11 and the long #4 at Tea Tree Gully.

Its funny im getting so confident with my #5 wood I actually lay up on the long #4 and take the fairway wood into the green. I can get so much more height and softness with the fairway wood (compared to a long iron).

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post

I'd like to buy newish so I can try demo models and shafts. I was at that test day. I hit the SIM titanium 13.5 loft version as at the time I was looking for a driver replacement. I quite like it. This club needs to launch and peak pretty high as it will primarily be used as a 3/4 wood from the fairway or shorter tee shots.

The TM rep did mention the M5 titanium as similar to the SIM. Might be hard to find a demo. I'll check out the Mizuno line too. Might be worth a visit to Drummond West Beach soon.
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Ok. I think you'll struggle to find an M5 demo. Demo the cobra if you're main use will be off the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Flavzz View Post
    I'd like to buy newish so I can try demo models and shafts. I was at that test day. I hit the SIM titanium 13.5 loft version as at the time I was looking for a driver replacement. I quite like it. This club needs to launch and peak pretty high as it will primarily be used as a 3/4 wood from the fairway or shorter tee shots.

The TM rep did mention the M5 titanium as similar to the SIM. Might be hard to find a demo. I'll check out the Mizuno line too. Might be worth a visit to Drummond West Beach soon.
    I have noticed a number of pros have kept the M5 fairway in the bag, Thorbjorn Olesen is one. DJ used a standard Sim Max on the weekend to win the Masters

One thing im noticing with modern fairway woods is the super low spin. I found with the M5 it worked best when I lofted it up to 16.5-17 degrees. Got a much better ball flight and less roll. If I want a bullet shot off the tee I will use driver with a low tee height

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    M5 is an absolute corker of a fairway wood. Love the adjustable weight on the sole, great feel off the face. Only downside for me; not as soft landing as my Yonex, not such a bad thing depending on the course you play (as you get more distance with the rollout) but no good for me coming into the Par 5 #11 and the long #4 at Tea Tree Gully.

Its funny im getting so confident with my #5 wood I actually lay up on the long #4 and take the fairway wood into the green. I can get so much more height and softness with the fairway wood (compared to a long iron).
    Thanks TC, does yours have the Tensei CK Orange in it?

Despite my anti TM mantra I did like the M1 fairway I had a while back. The shaft was just way too much. Will definitely keep this in mind.

I would like something that comes in soft so it's relatively predictable. It appears you can dial it up and down 2 degrees which is plenty.
    WITB

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Can confirm that the M5 is a cracking fairway wood. I've got a 'rocket' version at 14° and it lives up to it's name.

Quote Originally Posted by NewyMitch View Post
    Can confirm that the M5 is a cracking fairway wood. I've got a 'rocket' version at 14° and it lives up to it's name.
    Lot's of love for this club
    WITB

Thanks TC, does yours have the Tensei CK Orange in it?

I would like something that comes in soft so it's relatively predictable. It appears you can dial it up and down 2 degrees which is plenty.
    Correct, the shaft with the red band. Felt soft at first but now I really like it and leaning more towards a softer flex shaft now having just reached the big 4 zero!

You can dial up and down 2 degrees and adjust the sole plate weight to draw and fade. Only draw back is the screw gets a lot of crap in it (particularly during winter) and you have to clean it out regularly.

I went through a period where I hated TM, particularly during the 2010-2015 white driver period. The M & SLDR versions were a real game changer. With the SLDR they copied Mizuno's idea and turned it into something amazing for the ball strikers.

I think they also benefited greatly with the purchase of Adams golf; particularly with the fairway woods and hybrids. It took a few years but now I reckon they're the market leader in fairway woods
    Last edited by thecollective; 17th November 2020 at 10:41 AM.

Correct, the shaft with the red band. Felt soft at first but now I really like it and leaning more towards a softer flex shaft now having just reached the big 4 zero!

You can dial up and down 2 degrees and adjust the sole plate weight to draw and fade. Only draw back is the screw gets a lot of crap in it (particularly during winter) and you have to clean it out regularly.

I went through a period where I hated TM, particularly during the 2010-2015 white driver period. The M & SLDR versions were a real game changer. With the SLDR they copied Mizuno's idea and turned it into something amazing for the ball strikers.

I think they also benefited greatly with the purchase of Adams golf; particularly with the fairway woods and hybrids. It took a few years but now I reckon they're the market leader in fairway woods
    Agree, I've always been an Adams golf fan so I suppose I can find some common ground in that Adams DNA are in these fairways Do you have the reg or stiff?
    WITB

Do you have the reg or stiff?
    Stiff flex, but feels a bit like a reg in the spine. Similar vibe to the Project X shafts where they play with the kickpoint

Stiff flex, but feels a bit like a reg in the spine. Similar vibe to the Project X shafts where they play with the kickpoint
    Ok cheers.

Has anyone tried a G410 fairway?
    WITB

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Has anyone tried a G410 fairway?
    I have one currently in transit... will report back once I've had a hit. I'll be pushing it up to 16* to help me get it off the deck a little better. Here's hoping I can still get a hit after it arrives... with the way things are going here in SA!

Quote Originally Posted by DMG_Golf View Post
    I have one currently in transit... will report back once I've had a hit. I'll be pushing it up to 16* to help me get it off the deck a little better. Here's hoping I can still get a hit after it arrives... with the way things are going here in SA!
    Good work. I've looked at them in the pro shop and they sit nice and flat at address which I like.
    WITB

Good work. I've looked at them in the pro shop and they sit nice and flat at address which I like.
    I have demoed the G400 which is very similar. Very boxy looking at address, great feel and nice sound. The standard PING brown shaft had the same thing going on with the Tensei and my Project X irons where the kickpoint is higher up the shaft.

I currently have a G400 22 degree hybrid that is great in heavy winter conditions.

Price point for me is an issue as any PING wood is going to be almost double what last years TM model is. Yet I still feel TM is the market leader

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

I currently have a G400 22 degree hybrid that is great in heavy winter conditions.
    My favourite and most confident club by far is my G400 19* hybrid. Such a solid feeling and easy to hit (saying something for me) club.

I had a G400 stretch fairway wood on customer order at the start of the year with a tour shaft. The Australian supplier knocked back the order (despite the product being still available according to PING website and HQ in America).

I now own a TM Original One that works a dream as a 2/3 wood then I loft up the normal fairway wood to 17" as my off the deck goto. Works a treat

Bye bye PING

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

My favourite and most confident club by far is my G400 19* hybrid. Such a solid feeling and easy to hit (saying something for me) club.
    I got a G410 h and the sound is something else. Makes me wanna stock up on ping everything.
    I also have a Cobra something 3W (previous model?) And the sweet spot has a weird sound to it, it sounds like a misshit.

Senior Member Major Winner

I tried a Titleist TS2 on the weekend. Not much to report as to how it went as the X-Stiff shaft is not right for me. I do love the shape and how it sits at address a lot. I've got 3 shafts with 910 adapters on them but they dont fit the TS range as Titleist changed their adapters only on the 913 Fairways not the Drivers.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Good to know. Very keen to try the G410 H.

I had a G400 stretch fairway wood on customer order at the start of the year with a tour shaft. The Australian supplier knocked back the order (despite the product being still available according to PING website and HQ in America).

I now own a TM Original One that works a dream as a 2/3 wood then I loft up the normal fairway wood to 17" as my off the deck goto. Works a treat

Bye bye PING
    The bad resale on TM products is good and bad. Ping gear tends to hold it's value well and you don't seem to find clearance stock apart from the odd pro shop gear. Nothing on GCO like TM.

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    I got a G410 h and the sound is something else. Makes me wanna stock up on ping everything.
    I also have a Cobra something 3W (previous model?) And the sweet spot has a weird sound to it, it sounds like a misshit.
    Very keen to try one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    I tried a Titleist TS2 on the weekend. Not much to report as to how it went as the X-Stiff shaft is not right for me. I do love the shape and how it sits at address a lot. I've got 3 shafts with 910 adapters on them but they dont fit the TS range as Titleist changed their adapters only on the 913 Fairways not the Drivers.
    Is it low profile? It's funny how a shaft can completely ruin the experience of a decent driver/fairway wood. Shame about the adaptor. Titleist have been really good with keeping the same for the drivers for so long.
    WITB

Senior Member Major Winner

Is it low profile? It's funny how a shaft can completely ruin the experience of a decent driver/fairway wood. Shame about the adaptor. Titleist have been really good with keeping the same for the drivers for so long.
    I don't think it is.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

not a fan of the low profile fairways. put them on a tee and I freak out I will sky it.
    Teeing it low isnt an option, I freak out I will cold top it
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Blog Entries

I have a G400 14* at home (Stock Alta CB shaft) and a G410 14* with a Tensei Blue 65S in Melb. Both r great...with the older one being my favourite. The G410 is longer but I find the G400 exceptionally consistent. I’m after reliability not pure distance with my FW. Be aware, Ping changed adapters between the G400 and the G410 series. They r not interchangable. I would get a new/vgc G400 if it was me.
    Gamers
    Ping G430 LST 9* Driver with CB55 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    TM Stealth 2 Hybrid with Nemeses 90 M4 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Thread Information