Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Great golfing BYU , and no flag even better

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Had a wack last night.I was going to play the twilight 9 hole event,but a couple of us broke off to play 18 holes.Couldnt get off the tee for the first 9 holes,screwed if I know what I was doing.Anyway,turned 3 over and thought I was VERY lucky.
    Moved across to the lakes course as the back 9 hills was being used for comp.Striped a 4 iron onto the green,2 putt par.
    Then absolutely nutted a 3 wood on the 2nd,and I was away.2 under on the back 9 for a 72.
    3 birdies

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

28/11/2020, Mt Ommaney Open, McLeod GC, 4BBB Stroke.

Stats: 7/13 fairways, 8/18 greens, 34 putts.
    Score: PPPBBPXBP PPPXBPPPB; 42:38:80; (+5:+4:+9).

How good is golf? I'm loving it at the moment, even though I played really bad last week. Today, I played good....finally. I stuffed up a couple of holes, and couldn't sink putts on the bumpy greens, but it felt like I had found a decent swing. It is my best round since I won the Vic Champs Saturday round earlier this year, if not better.

I had three under my daily handicap, which was also our 4BBB Stroke score.
    We got my partner's name on the card 5 times, but only because he holed out first. I had the same nett score on all of those holes, but the handicapper probably won't touch me, which is a shame. Am I leading the virtual SA Champs?

On Wednesday, I spent over an hour practicing chips inside 25m, because my stats told me that I currently suck at this. I left the practice session feeling confident with it, but only got to apply it once during the whole round. Typical!

Next round: I really, really want to play tomorrow. Can anyone host me? If not, I guess I'll just have to wait to play Hamilton Island on Thursday.

Member Teaching Pro

29 points around Sandy Gallop off 9. Struggled hard of the tee with the timber and couldn’t make a putt all day. Side note however I hit most of the iron shots I had really well. Highlight of the day was on the putting green before kickoff. Struck up a convo with an old ex pro that did his time under Mr Dunk. Really nice bloke, and very generous with his time and knowledge. Sadly I didn’t grab his name.

Teed it up with Beaconhiĺls today.Pretty good group
    We had a teaching pro and his son,a retired man on 10 and me off 8.Some great golf was played.
    Stableford event 37 points
    No wipes
    1 birdie
    78/70

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Teed it up with Beaconhiĺls today.Pretty good groupWe had a teaching pro and his son,a retired man on 10 and me off 8.Some great golf was played.Stableford event 37 pointsNo wipes1 birdie78/70Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Good one, Joe.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

32 points this morning, made a good recovery after 13 points on the front 9.

I need to sort my driving out, it's making it hard to hit more greens in reg. The putter is still mostly behaving with 32 putts including 2 3 putts. 2 lost ball penalties in the first 2 holes was always going to make a good score tough.

Quote Originally Posted by NewyMitch View Post
    32 points this morning, made a good recovery after 13 points on the front 9.

I need to sort my driving out, it's making it hard to hit more greens in reg. The putter is still mostly behaving with 32 putts including 2 3 putts. 2 lost ball penalties in the first 2 holes was always going to make a good score tough.
    Don't worry about more greens in reg,I only hit 6 yesterday.I was told yesterday that the drive is the least important shot we play,it's what happens around the greens that matters.2 x 3 putts always hurts.And 32 could have been 34 if you saved 2 strokes.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Stroke event today.

84/73 that included a Quad 8 on the 5th
    Srixon 565 - 10.5 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon 565 - 15 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon H45 - 90gr Stiff Whiteboard
    Fourteen DI w/ SPB Stiff
    Bridgestone J15CB 4-PW SPB's Stiff
    Fourteen MT28 TS Spec 53 & 58 DG Spinner
    Piretti Cortino

GOLF Link

BENCH

Drivers/Fairways/Hybrids

Yamaha v202 9.5* - Tourspec x flex
    Sonartec SS-03
    V Steel 3wd
    V Steel 4wd Attas T3 8x
    Titleist 585h 19*

Irons
    Mizuno MP33 3-P

Putters

Ping Anser, Anser 2, Scottsdale

Wedges
    Cleveland 54
    Fourteen 48

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Don't worry about more greens in reg,I only hit 6 yesterday.I was told yesterday that the drive is the least important shot we play,it's what happens around the greens that matters.2 x 3 putts always hurts.And 32 could have been 34 if you saved 2 strokes.

Using strokes gained for my last 2 rounds is quite interesting considering that I hit 5 greens in reg in both rounds but there was 7 shots gross difference. Losing a ball on the first shot/drive was not going to help the driving stat considering it cost me 2 shots from the off.

Compared to scratch
    Round 1 (7 over)
    Driving -1.7
    Approach -3.0
    Short -1.2
    Putting +1.1

Round 2 (14 over)
    Driving -5.8
    Approach -3.0
    Short -3.4
    Putting +0.1

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

IMO, until you get well into single figures you're better of working on getting off the tee. Sure, you need to be a serviceable chipper/putter, but you can't score well if you're always in trouble off the tee.

I shot 77 at Royal Adelaide today - 37 points, but no comp running. No real strengths or weaknesses - a good up and down from a bunker on 7, a good par (nearly a birdie) on 18 after hitting my drive on to the driving range.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

29/11/2020, Gailes GC, Temp White, Solo Round.

Stats: 4/15 fairways, 11/18 greens, 34 putts.
    Score: bBPBbPXPP BPBBPPXBP; 38:42:80; (+2:+6:+8).

I was antsy all day, because I wasn't playing golf, so I headed to Gailes for a late afternoon 9. I was going around fast enough to fit in the back nine too for a 2.5h total.

Despite what BYU says above, I drove it terribly today with plenty of pulls, but that didn't stop me from hitting greens and scoring well. I even amazed myself with some of the approach shots hit today; the irons/hybrids have come a long way in the last few rounds. In fact, the 2 hybrid is going so well, that I have to replace the 3 iron with a hybrid too.

At least I converted a couple of birdie chances today, although I would have liked to sink some more putts. I didn't adjust to the speed well, after yesterday's greens.

This takes me to four under for the virtual SA Champs. What do I win?

Next round: Hamo Island on Thursday, unless I get out again....

40 points in the social club today at Caloundra, off 24. One wipe on the 10th after I skied a drive and wound up in the trees where the ground was all bloody sand. Other than that I didn't play too badly for me.

6/13 fairways, 5/18 greens, 32 putts. I did have two chip ins on the front 9 though, back 9 putting wasn't great, quite a few near misses, mostly thinking it would break and it didn't. Majority of missed fairways still allowed a proper second shot. My greens in regulation have improved a little the last few rounds, maybe because my accuracy off the tee has as well with fewer shots going into the trees, hopefully I can keep that going in the right direction because I have been enjoying it more lately. Next game will be on Sunday in the Oxley comp.

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    IMO, until you get well into single figures you're better of working on getting off the tee. Sure, you need to be a serviceable chipper/putter, but you can't score well if you're always in trouble off the tee.

I shot 77 at Royal Adelaide today - 37 points, but no comp running. No real strengths or weaknesses - a good up and down from a bunker on 7, a good par (nearly a birdie) on 18 after hitting my drive on to the driving range.
    Good to see your form continuing mate. How is the course looking?
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Quote Originally Posted by Flavzz View Post
    Good to see your form continuing mate. How is the course looking?
    Really good. Is it ever not looking good?

Really good. Is it ever not looking good?
    True. It must be nice for RA members where the course is mint all year round.
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Last Minute Trip to Coffs in lieu of SA Champs trip.

Thurs @ RQ - 36pts
    Fri @ Coffs GC - 28pts (?)
    Sat am @Nambucca Island GC - 40pts
    Sat pm @ South West Rocks - 29pts
    Sun @ Sawtell - 35pts
    Mon @ RQ - 34pts

Ping G425 was a BEAST
    Iron game is seemingly back
    Short game needs some TLC

Senior Member Major Winner

Another nice round BYU.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    29/11/2020, Gailes GC, Temp White, Solo Round.

Stats: 4/15 fairways, 11/18 greens, 34 putts.
    Score: bBPBbPXPP BPBBPPXBP; 38:42:80; (+2:+6:+.

I was antsy all day, because I wasn't playing golf, so I headed to Gailes for a late afternoon 9. I was going around fast enough to fit in the back nine too for a 2.5h total.

Despite what BYU says above, I drove it terribly today with plenty of pulls, but that didn't stop me from hitting greens and scoring well. I even amazed myself with some of the approach shots hit today; the irons/hybrids have come a long way in the last few rounds. In fact, the 2 hybrid is going so well, that I have to replace the 3 iron with a hybrid too.

At least I converted a couple of birdie chances today, although I would have liked to sink some more putts. I didn't adjust to the speed well, after yesterday's greens.

This takes me to four under for the virtual SA Champs. What do I win?

Next round: Hamo Island on Thursday, unless I get out again....
    I’ll wade in with the Driving accuracy discussion.
    There’s more to it than simply hitting fairways.
    The course(s) you play in regards to length of holes and width of fairways combined to how playable the rough/trees/bushes/water/bunkers and grass thickness are once your wide of the second cut.
    It’s mostly about being able to get a swing and being able get a shot to either get on the green or very close to the green in reg.
    The longer you are off the tee the easier some of this is if you miss as long as you have a swing and a shot.
    The shorter you are off the tee the more accurate you need to be on tight courses.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

First round in nearly 3 months. Played off 15hdcp and didn't blow any holes. 1 3putts nut plenty of lip out and just short putts.
    32 Points for the day. No too shabby

Member Teaching Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    Another nice round BYU.

I’ll wade in with the Driving accuracy discussion.
    There’s more to it than simply hitting fairways.
    The course(s) you play in regards to length of holes and width of fairways combined to how playable the rough/trees/bushes/water/bunkers and grass thickness are once your wide of the second cut.
    It’s mostly about being able to get a swing and being able get a shot to either get on the green or very close to the green in reg.
    The longer you are off the tee the easier some of this is if you miss as long as you have a swing and a shot.
    The shorter you are off the tee the more accurate you need to be on tight courses.
    Exactly right there. Use to play with a kid who would just hit it as far as he could, didn't matter if he was 2 fairways over pin high. He was long enough so could score fine. Think he was off around 3 at the time. Use to beat me regularly when I was off 4 or 5 and 'managed' my way around. Moral of the story, hit it where you like, as long as you can get up and down out of a ball washer, you're fine
    Bag
    Taylormade Sim2 9* with Hzrdus Smoke Blank RDX 6.0 Flex
    Titleist 915D 15* with Diamana White S Flex
    Taylormade P7MB 3 - PW with KBS Tour 120 S Flex
    Titleist SM5 - 50.08* Satin, SM4 54.14* Satin, SM4 58.08* Satin
    TM Spider X
    ProV1x | Taylormade TP5
    Ping Camo Hoofer Stand Bag

Choplink

Clubs are too expensive to break these days. Or maybe I'm just getting older

November Rounds

Hunter Valley 79-11-68 -- Par 71
    Couple of doubles on the front nine, came good on the back nine with a two over par. Putted well for 28 putts and no three putts.
    Belmont GC 86-9-77 -- Par 72 *Comp
    Had three birdies but to many doubles!
    Shelly Beach 77-8-69 -- Par 71
    Played solid all round. One double on the front side to go with two birdies. Came home good with five pars in a row.
    Links Shell Cove 70-7-72 -- Par 70
    Consistent round, with no doubles and no birdies. Solid chipping saved the day.
    Shoalhaven Heads 82-9-73 -- Par 71 *Comp
    Couple of doubles on the front side, and managed a three over par on the back side. Couldn't hole a putt from some good opportunities - 36 putts. Still managed to win a ball in the daily comp.
    Moruya 80-10-70 -- Par 71
    Had a good front nine with a three over par, then a couple of doubles on the back nine blew a good round. Happy with 29 putts.
    Last edited by MAZA68; 1st December 2020 at 06:51 PM.

Thread Information