Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 24 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Played Sunday with a marked improvement in my putting, NO 4 putts and 1 x 3 putt, 2 x 1 putts - both from Sand save attempts. I folded on the last 5 holes and played which tree can I hit.

Putting:
    1 - 12' for Birdie. 6" past - Par
    2 - Bunker to 5', sunk putt - Bogey
    3 - 8' for Par. 1" past - Bogey
    4 - 25' for Bogey. 1' short - DB
    5 - 30' for Birdie. 2' short - Par
    6 - 15' for Birdie. 6" long - Par
    7 - Bunker to 6'. Par
    8 - 6' for Par. 6" past - Bogey
    9 - 18' for Par. Lip out - Bogey
    10 - 10' for Birdie. 2" short - Par
    11 - 6' for Par. Lip out - Bogey
    12 - 10' for Par. 1' left - Bogey
    13 - 5' for Birdie. Lip out - Par
    14 - 20' for Bogey. 3' short - DB
    15 - 12' for Bogey. 3' short - DB
    16 - 12' for Birdie. 2' past. Lip out - Bogey
    17 - 8' for Bogey. 1' short - DB
    18 - 15' for Bogey. 6" past - DB

All in all my short game left me with too many longish putts. I was pretty close on line and length all day with the putter.

EDIT: Greens were running pretty close to my putting mat speed
    Last edited by IanO; 20th June 2011 at 11:14 AM.
    Golf is an ineffectual attempt to get an uncontrollable sphere into an inaccessible hole with instruments ill adapted to the purpose

Woods: Titleist 915 D2 10.5*,
    915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Titleist SM5 54/10* & 60/7*
    Putter:
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red
    Bag: Eagles & Birdies Links
    Bugy: Clickgear 3.5

Home Club: Kooringal
    Handicap
    Game Golf

Yeah I definitely pulled a few when I tried to be more aggressive. I do this on the boom too. I get stiff and jerky.
    Pieface, no longer the resident chopper, giant fweak. Lives in a pineapple under the sea
    witb?

Ian, Your distance control sounds pretty good. On your misses inside 10ft, was it mostly misreads or mishits?

Quote Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
    Yeah I definitely pulled a few when I tried to be more aggressive. I do this on the boom too. I get stiff and jerky.
    I want to see what you call 'stiff and jerky'. I also want to see why you're pulling. If your eyes are over the line, it shouldn't be an issue. Send me some more vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Putting Guru View Post
    Ian, Your distance control sounds pretty good. On your misses inside 10ft, was it mostly misreads or mishits?
    All misses that were long were high and were pretty close to the correct line. There was one that missed low by over a foot, but that was putting directly across the face of a ridge.
    Golf is an ineffectual attempt to get an uncontrollable sphere into an inaccessible hole with instruments ill adapted to the purpose

915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Putter:

Handicap
    Game Golf

That sounds very pleasing!

Quote Originally Posted by Putting Guru View Post
    I want to see what you call 'stiff and jerky'. I also want to see why you're pulling. If your eyes are over the line, it shouldn't be an issue. Send me some more vision.
    front on or dtl?
    Pieface, no longer the resident chopper, giant fweak. Lives in a pineapple under the sea
    witb?

Quote Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
    front on or dtl?
    I would like to see your new and improved MM from front on. But I'd also like to see a dtl shot so I can see where the putter is going when you're stiff and jerky too please.

My version of the Monty without a putter

915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Putter:

Handicap
    Game Golf

10 putts from my Boom practice session today. My best was 3 C&R.

I am starting to get to the point that I can tell whether I have it right as soon as I contact the ball.

There are some very average putts in this group

915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Putter:

Handicap
    Game Golf

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    My version of the Monty without a putter

That's the dog's konkers!

10 putts from my Boom practice session today. My best was 3 C&R.

I am starting to get to the point that I can tell whether I have it right as soon as I contact the ball.

There are some very average putts in this group

Set-up looks awesome! But I've got a sneaky feeling your hands are right, but your eyes may not be. And here's why...

P1 - Putter finishes way inside. This is the most telling putt in this sequence.
    P2 - Very conventional finish, where did you BT go? Very effective though.
    P3 - Tick!
    P4 - Looks very SBST.
    P5 - Tick!
    P6 - Putter left, ball right = disconnect
    P7 - 9/10
    P8 - 9/10
    P9 - Putter left, ball right = disconnect
    P10 - SB, then left.

Great sequence, really going to help us track down the cause of your errant ones.

The first thing I'd like you to do is a 5 second vid, from this same angle, but rather than hitting a putt I'd like you to get set up, then drop a ball off the bridge of your nose to see where it lands. If your eyes are perfect, the nose ball should drop right on the ball in the middle of your mat. I think it's more likely to hit the left hand edge of your mat though. So many of your strokes are finishing left, we need to check where your eyes are and this will tell us. If it's not an eye position fault, it's going to be an alignment issue.

Because you're SBST on so many of these you're effectively hitting the "slice volley" putt. Great for extra feel on the putter face, not so good at hitting a line under pressure. One thing at a time though, let's check that eye position first.
    Last edited by Putting Guru; 20th June 2011 at 05:08 PM.

What is SBST? I know I should know but brain not working.

I will do the ball drop video later tonight

915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Putter:

Handicap
    Game Golf

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Straight Back, Straight Through?

That was my guess but I thought it may have been something else and bad

915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Putter:

Handicap
    Game Golf

SBST - watch the Stan Utley vid on the playlist for a good explanation of what it is.

http://www.youtube.com/my_playlists?p=DF623CC81C6377C8

On the surface of it, SBST seems like the way to go. "Easier," if you like. And while I like a version of it, when the pressure's on, it fails. I know. I hit hundreds of thousands of putts testing it out, convinced I could make it work. In a way I did make a bit of it work. I found that, for a putt you need to absolutely finesse, and where precise line control comes a way distant second, you can putt outside to straight and it becomes a more accurate "slice volley" kind of putt. For me, that way seems to put a more "reliable" spin on the ball than SBST, and it allows for easier synchronisation (getting the ball and putter to work as one unit). Let's not worry about advanced stuff at this stage, it involves a finer skill set, instead let's aim for something more repeatable right now.

At the moment you're going straight back and then, often (too often if you want to be consistent and confident on short ones), the putter is finishing up left of the destination. Watch that first putt on your last vid again and you'll see what I mean.

My goal is to get you attacking the ball from inside, which is not really inside (again watch the Stan Utley vid), then you'll be driving the ball more on line. I like to look at it a slightly different way though. I like to look at it as a more efficient and predictable transfer of energy from the putter to the ball. Remember, we're trying to predict an outcome here and the best way, or rather fastest way, for anyone with a limited amount of time to do that is by getting a higher and more consistent transfer of energy from your putter to your ball.

That means attacking from the "inside" or "on plane" the majority of the time. How do you get "on plane?" Either go get a putting arc, or take your hands and arms out of the stroke. Both solutions will have your putter head working back on the inside.

CONTROVERSY STARTS HERE >>> What if I was to tell you there's a way to be both straight back, and inside at the same time? Sounds like BS, right? Well it kind of is, and it kind of isn't. It's more the best of both worlds, IMO. It's a way of straightening out the arc on the take away, and improving your direction on the through swing. How do you do it? Easy, open your stance.

The stance is just another variable you need to check on your travels up and down the Boom. Have you ever tried doing BoomTech with an open stance? If not, why not? Jack had an open stance, and it's a heck of an advantage on long putts... It's also a heck of an advantage for your BoomTech. Old wisdom say it doesn't work. BoomTech chucks old wisdom, on this issue, out the window. BoomTech is far from conventional after all. I'll go into this in more depth, once we have more people up to this level.
    Last edited by Putting Guru; 21st June 2011 at 11:43 AM.

OK .. I tried 2 things last night but wasn't able to video either.
    1. I put a golf ball in my back pocket and then set-up and putted about half a dozen times. Without changing my position, I took the ball out of my back pocket, held it to the bridge of my nose and dropped it. It landed on top of the ball in front of the putter face.
    2. I opened my stance a little. Right foot maybe an inch closer to the mat and the left foot about an inch further away. It actually felt pretty good and I had a number of C&R. I did the ball drop in this position as well and it dropped on top of the other ball but slightly inside.

My questions on the open stance:
    - How open should it be?
    - How do I ensure it is the same every time?

915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Putter:

Handicap
    Game Golf

The nose ball drop sounds very encouraging. So, if we can rule out eye position being inside the line, the next most likely cause of the putter coming inside on the way through is your shoulders. They are going to want to work around your spine, taking the club inside on the way back, and again on the way through. You're already on your way to removing the shoulders by opening up a little. How much? My rule of thumb is - open enough so that at address you can see both the target and your ball at the same time, without the need to move your head. On long putts that's going to mean up to 30 deg. On short putts, an inch or two will suffice. The effect is to move your big hinge (take away) to your right shoulder only. Imagine you're playing lawn bowls, rolling a ball side on, rather than front on, and you'll use the correct motion. Now see if you can do it standing at 45 deg to your line, 30 deg to your line... and quit when you get to parallel to your line.

When your putting action works along your ball to target line (with a slight arc on the way back), and down the line to the target, it's more repeatable than trying to work everything around your body. Your question about "how do you get it the same every time?" is answered by changing to the right shoulder hinge. What the rest of your body does after that becomes almost irrelevant. I'm going to try and get some vid up myself to illustrate this.
    Last edited by Putting Guru; 22nd June 2011 at 08:54 AM.

I have had a bit of a stiff neck for the past week or so due to basketball and the Physio has been working on my neck and back (painfully). This is probably contributing to the way my shoulders were swinging.

Will give it some more practice now that my shoulders and neck are feeling a bit looser.

915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Putter:

Handicap
    Game Golf

Here is the ball drop from the bridge of the nose.

I did a couple of putts and then without changing my position dropped a ball from the bridge of my nose. Seemed to land right on top to me.

915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Putter:

Handicap
    Game Golf

Here is the ball drop from the bridge of the nose.

I did a couple of putts and then without changing my position dropped a ball from the bridge of my nose. Seemed to land right on top to me.

That's dramatic - it scared the you-know-what out of me, even though I knew it was coming. Confirms your eye postion is bang on! Get that putter a bit more horizontal to start.

Only a week away from crunching some numbers. Anyone else need any help?

I will try and get back on the boom over the weekend Alex. just been a hectic week so the boom has been on the back burner.

I think i just need to incorporate some more practice at the right range ~5-6'. I really hammer 3' and in and then 10-12' + lagging
    witb?

I completely understand.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Sorry I haven't had the time to get on this so I missed the boat.

Thread Information