Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Mega - What app is that you are using on the iPhone?
    Golf is an ineffectual attempt to get an uncontrollable sphere into an inaccessible hole with instruments ill adapted to the purpose

Woods: Titleist 915 D2 10.5*,
    915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Titleist SM5 54/10* & 60/7*
    Putter:
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red
    Bag: Eagles & Birdies Links
    Bugy: Clickgear 3.5

Home Club: Kooringal
    Handicap
    Game Golf

Golfshot. You only need the Lite version as the GPS version is not legal it seems.

Great stats app.

Cool .. will have a look
    Golf is an ineffectual attempt to get an uncontrollable sphere into an inaccessible hole with instruments ill adapted to the purpose

915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Putter:

Handicap
    Game Golf

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    movin' to the country gunna eat me alot of peaches.

Here is my latest offering…. I haven’t touched a club since Saturday as I have had exam this week and really didn’t the distraction so I packed boom away. . Stroke doesn’t feel like i have a groove today and the mat is a lot faster than greens at the moment. Have only managed 2 C&R today… Just so happens I managed one on camera…
    Putting on Saturday was good…It was monthly medal and I had 29 putts and missed 4 putts inside 4ft (2from 2ft) from 14-17. Only had 12 putts the front nine and to be honest should of had 13 the back. Haven’t really had a round going since I have been playing again and got a little over zealous. 16 was a 3putt from 9 ft trying to steady the ship and put a good stroke on. Had fluffed a chip after being on the front edge (par3).. Walked off with triple and after the couple of missed putts 4 over after 13 quickly became 83. Thing that annoys me was the club had putting champion on as well and the bloke that one did so with 26 putts….
    My putting stats for the round are a little odd… Only hit 3 greens all day but holed 2 birdie putts.. One a cracker from 20 feet.. A lot of my up and down saves were tough putts from 6– 12 feet. Chipping is an enemy of mine at the moment. If I can start hitting some greens, the way I am putting, I could get a score going really quickly..

Sorry about the background music…. Had no idea it was that loud….
    http://www.youtube.com/user/poppers8.../0/JPgO3-NfDdg
    Last edited by popper81; 10th June 2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: font colour

http://www.youtube.com/user/poppers8.../0/JPgO3-NfDdg

Hey Popper,

I love the music - gives it atmos!

Awesome quality vid! Boom's set up a little tough! You could possibly go a little tighter on the action, Boom looks very tiny way back there.

Love the mat prep you've done. Not a hint of any cupping effect. Is it my imagination, or are you actually putting on the domed side? It looks shiney to me. In terms of mat symmetry though - 10/10! A great angle to see what's happening between the putter and the ball.

See how you keep retrieving balls from the left side of the mat, and none from the right? That's a dead give away that your Boom is breaking left.

If you level up your Boom, a little more, you'll find that you don't have to tail right with the putter to get the ball to go straight. Seriously, something as simple as one more business card under the left leg, and I think your putter will be finishing bang on line.

That's a pretty good putter set up too. Virtually horizontal, virtually all the time - well done!

Stroke path: in to out, with flurish at end. Reminds me of a ten pin bowling action. In a classic bolwing action they are trying to draw the bowling ball in right to left. Seems like your trying the same - shouldn't have to. Fix the Boom, everything else will fall into place.

Welcome to Level 2. Vids on way!

BTW, that was one heck of a roller coaster round you had!

Hey Pieface,

Rep 1 - Fab!
    Rep 2 - Elbow doing well, wrist a little wobbily.
    Rep 3 - Wrist quite wobbily. Note putter head gets above horizontal.
    Try and get the butt of the grip to make contact with your chest. Send me a vid of two hands doing the MM, would like to see if your wrists become more stable with a full grip on. Prior to impct - one hinge only - shoulder(s). After impact - one hinge only - elbow.

Pretty good though - 8.5/10. Should let you connect the putter and ball down your eye line. Once we tweak it, it should be perfect.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

where is the link for how to set this up?

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Do you mean set up instructions, how to set up your Boom - www.boomgolf.com/instructions.htm ?

Here's Charlie, assistant at PSGC, this is toward the end of his zero backswing drill. Should have seen what his stroke looked like five minutes before this...

Hey Pieface, is it my imagination, or do I detect a little frustration in your final putt?

Seriously, that's a heck of a putting stroke you've got there! The good ones don't look like they're allowed to go anywhere else but in.

Love how you've set up everything, Boom's really flat, mat's a treat, on most of your putts your putter is as horizontal as the skirting in the background.

The really telling putts, the ones we can learn the most from, are the "generous" catch, fourth from last, and the the third last one too. From this angle it's easy to see that in both cases the putter goes left and the ball also goes left. We, of course, know that the opposite was actually the case. The ball went left and you followed it there. The good thing about that mistake is, you can see it. The other good thing is you can fix it. While they're only tiny pulls, they're still pulls none the less, and we've already privately discussed something that I reckon should make seeing and hitting your line that much easier...

But listen, in what ever order you address those remaining variables, you'll do it with a very precise goal - 3! And you can take heart from the fact that you're over the worst of the Boom's learning curve now, and I wouldn't bet against you smashing your goal to pieces before the end of this experiment.

Keep it up!

Alex

PS - where's the sound?
    Last edited by Putting Guru; 14th June 2011 at 12:59 PM.

I deleted it so you didn't hear the F-bombs
    Pieface, no longer the resident chopper, giant fweak. Lives in a pineapple under the sea
    witb?

Quote Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
    I deleted it so you didn't hear the F-bombs
    It's just that, off such an accelerating stoke, it'd be really good to hear the strike!
    Last edited by Putting Guru; 14th June 2011 at 12:57 PM.

I am having a VERY frustrating time with my putting at the moment. My 1st 9 or 10 holes are really good for distance and then things just go to pieces. I 4 putted from about 9' and then 2 holes later putted 15' past the hole from 25' then went 8' past coming back.

It is like I have this brain explosion and just smack the crap out of the ball even when my practice stroke is right. Very very frustrating!

915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Putter:

Handicap
    Game Golf

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    I am having a VERY frustrating time with my putting at the moment. My 1st 9 or 10 holes are really good for distance and then things just go to pieces. I 4 putted from about 9' and then 2 holes later putted 15' past the hole from 25' then went 8' past coming back.

It is like I have this brain explosion and just smack the crap out of the ball even when my practice stroke is right. Very very frustrating!
    Are we still in this place?

It's been a while since I sent you the MM vids. When you have time, can you show me if and how you're applying what you saw?

I just want to find out exactly where you're at, so I can help get you past your current speed bump. Reading what you've written above, sounds like your having a mare, give me some vision to go on, so we can get you back up to speed.
    Last edited by Putting Guru; 14th June 2011 at 01:49 PM.

Here is a video that I took tonight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEdSYZ7HWAU
    Last edited by IanO; 14th June 2011 at 09:13 PM.

915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Putter:

Handicap
    Game Golf

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Ian I'm no expert but stroke looks good?

I think it is good for about 15 holes a round, the other 3 I have no rhythm and 3 or 4 putt

I think it is good for about 15 holes a round, the other 3 I have no rhythm and 3 or 4 putt

Silly me didn't check my BPE Playlist very well - sorry.

This is where we started.

Then we got to this point really quickly -

Much improved through the ball, backswing still has too much fuel for what you want to acihieve though. Keep it tight and you'll make less room for mistakes to creep in.

Then I got your MM -

I really need to see another MM from you. With only one hinge moving at a time, like Pieface's below. Pay special attention to his first one, it's the best. The best thing to do would be to send me your version of the drill, you know the one with a hand on your bicep?

A good way to imagine what we're trying to achieve is like standing side on, and rolling a ball along the ground, under arm. If you wanted to do it accurately over a short distance, say while playing ball with a toddler, you would probably use a wrist hinge only, without even thinking about it, gently does it kind of stuff. Conversely, if you wanted to roll a cricket ball a long way for ground ball fielding practice for kids say, you'd probably use your entire arm. But you'd use only your arm, and not wrist or elbow, for fear of scooping the ball in the air and knocking one of them out! Now, if you wanted to roll a ball over a medium distance, AND with accurate distance control, the best hinge you've got for the job is your elbow. It gives you a useful combination of both power and control, just one problem though... your elbow doesn't hinge in both directions, in other words it doesn't bend backwards (unless you break it). That's the reason BT hinges the arm at the shoulder for the take away, and for the through swing it hinges the elbow, and only the elbow, for more control on the way through (you've already got all the power you need from your take away). To stop your right wrist from breaking down, either imagine it's got a plaster cast on it or, [insert smilee which signals intention to talk about pet subject here] go the 'paintbrush!'

On your vid (which I totally forgot BTW, because it wasn't in my vids, but on your youtube ac), your MM had multiple hinges firing at the same time - that's not good. Once we can get it looking more "standard" - like the examples of me, Naomi, Pieface etc - you will find chasing after the ball much easier and much more consistent too. Watching your MM vid I can see exactly how you can and do come unstuck on the course. Watching the video you sent in last night though, I can also see how you've managed to adapt what you're doing very successfully to a "known quantity," ie a repeating Boom putt.

There are some very high quality putts on here.

The shot is framed perfectly. The mat looks great. The Boom is probably tailing a little too much right, one card should fix it up. Your set up looks toe up to start, but very quickly becomes excellent.

P1 - Push right (toe up).
    P2 - Long, but straight.
    P3 - Tick!
    P4 - Perfect - set up too!
    P5 - Tick!
    P6 - Ball goes right, stroke goes left - too many moving pieces...
    P7 - Ball tails right
    P8 - Can't tell if it's a pull or aim issue from here
    P9 - Tick!
    P10 - Great lag, except you need a strike! Slightly left.
    P11 - Now that's some authority!
    P12 - Perfect!
    P13 - 9/10
    P14 - 9/10
    P15 - Tick!
    P16 - Push
    P17 - Tick
    P18 - 9/10

Like I said, there were some very good putts in there!
    Last edited by Putting Guru; 15th June 2011 at 01:21 PM.

Ian your MM video is exactly like I was trying to do it. I only twigged a couple nights ago shoulders for backswing, elbow for forwardswing. I eliminated a lot of the timing issues - ball coming off hot or cold - I was having by tryiing to swing back to the set up position with my shoulders and then with the elbow for the follow through. Maybe you are losing your timing as you tire towards the end of the round and that is leading to the distance control going out the window?
    Pieface, no longer the resident chopper, giant fweak. Lives in a pineapple under the sea
    witb?

PieFace - I think you are pretty much on the money there. What I think I am doing is losing the MM as I get tired and start using the shoulders for the take-away and then using the shoulders again for the strike and follow through, which is causing a really fast acceleration of the putter. It also affects my direction a bit and I find that I get a few lip-outs from fairly close range, whereas they would hit the back of the cup and drop in if I had just putted straight.

I need to ensure that I spend more time practicing at night when I am already tired to try and really get it grooved so that I don't deteriorate late in the round.

915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Putter:

Handicap
    Game Golf

PG - on the MM, am I supposed to only move the arm back and not the shoulders?

915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Putter:

Handicap
    Game Golf

PG - on the MM, am I supposed to only move the arm back and not the shoulders?
    On the drill it's more the arm, on the stroke it's shoulders back, shoulders through, but only up to impact, then the elbow takes over. To get this exactly right send me a vid of the actual drill, rather than the stroke with the putter in your hand. I'd like to see the part where your palm is on your bicep, if poss.

hrmmm...

better get some more front on video. See what i'm doing v what i'm feeling...
    witb?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Almost drained two massive bird putt. Something went awry on putts with big break and uphill. Then lightning and we had to go home. Boo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
    hrmmm...

better get some more front on video. See what i'm doing v what i'm feeling...
    An excellent idea! We're in this together.

Thread Information