Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 36 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    Be sure to tell Steve Stricker where he is going wrong.

What exactly is the difference between this product and putting into a schooner glass?
    ... And Billy Mayfair got really good at putting like Billy Mayfair. The difference is, these guys spend an enormous amount of time on some of the best practice putting greens in the world, hoaning what they do. Unless you make your living at it, who has that sort of time or access? I've always said, if I practiced something eight hours a day, I reckon I'd get pretty good at it too. The thing about the Boom is, it only takes fifteen minutes a day for an average player to groove efficient, repeatable line and distance control.

Would you like me to send you one, so you can join our little experiment?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I average 33 putts per round. No idea on GIR stat. I would think a bit over two as I don't par every one I make and I score FA birds. I don't hit that many greens to make it an important stat to keep.

TF will be along shortly to yell "Chopper" at me
    Pieface, no longer the resident chopper, giant fweak. Lives in a pineapple under the sea
    witb?

Quote Originally Posted by Putting Guru View Post
    I sent him one recently, after I saw how bad he'd got with his old putter, don't know if he's ever used it though. Don't think he could have, otherwise I reckon he would have ditched the broomy.
    He got one through another source also. I believe he has used it, but considering that he has used a plethora of other putting aids and inventions, i'm not sure where it would sit amongst them.

And regarding the Broomstick. Would you really ditch the putter that had you 3rd best putting stats at the masters?
    Last edited by kpac; 1st June 2011 at 11:34 AM.
    Golflink
    Tour Edge Exotics 9*|Titleist pt15*|KingCobra sz 5w|Adams A2 5-P|Hogan 54*-Clev 900 60*-feel 64*|Scotty Studio Stainless Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
    I average 33 putts per round. No idea on GIR stat. I would think a bit over two as I don't par every one I make and I score FA birds. I don't hit that many greens to make it an important stat to keep.

Well, let's aim sub 2.0 on ppgir and the PPR will look after itself. Just send me a vid of your current stroke, warts and all, so we can use that as our baseline.

No problem. I will send a vid ASAP.
    Pieface, no longer the resident chopper, giant fweak. Lives in a pineapple under the sea
    witb?

Quote Originally Posted by kpac View Post
    He got one through another source also. I believe he has used it, but considering that he has used a plethora of other putting aids and inventions, i'm not sure where it would sit amongst them.

And regarding the Broomstick. Would you really ditch the putter that had you with some of the best putting stats at the masters?
    I agree, it wasn't the putter that failed him coming down the stretch, it was robbing himself of chances by wanging it everywhere.

I only say this, because I've got quite a few broomy vids going back over ten years now. But I'd only include one of those in the best strokes I've ever seen on the Boom. Admittedly there are fewer broomies out there, but when you look at the level of control over a rolling ball, in general, it's less with a broomy than a regular putter.

I see it as just another way to take your hands out of the stroke. But there are better ways to do that than going broomy.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Hey PG
    Are you able to post a stockier on this thread or your site as to what we newbies need to do for the trial.

I have read through the thread...sort of but probably something in point form could help. Couple of terms have come up like doing the 'Monty' etc. Not keen on getting undressed and videoing myself with a putter. The family already think I have joined a cult with this Boom thing.

And regarding the Broomstick. Would you really ditch the putter that had you 3rd best putting stats at the masters?
    If you've got any influence, at all, get him to use it with a video - please.

Quote Originally Posted by idgolfguy View Post
    Hey PG
    Are you able to post a stockier on this thread or your site as to what we newbies need to do for the trial.

I have read through the thread...sort of but probably something in point form could help. Couple of terms have come up like doing the 'Monty' etc. Not keen on getting undressed and videoing myself with a putter. The family already think I have joined a cult with this Boom thing.

IGG, We've got about a dozen declared guinea pigs now, perhaps a few more once these last Booms reach their targets. For these guys I've been working one on one, in reply to the vids they send in. If you can take a video and send me the file we can go from there. For the best shot, you'll need to model one of the latest clips you can see from Mega or IanO. If you can get the shot with the camera on the back of your mat, and the edges of the mat forming an isosceles triangle with the Boom at the peak, we'll have plenty to go on. All I want to see is your regular stroke first, warts and all. The more mistakes, the better. Don't give me the highlight reel, give me 10 putts that show a typical snapshot of your putting.

1. Declare your current putting stats
    2. Get Boom
    3. Get Video Camera
    4. Take "Worm Cam" shot of your current stroke
    5. Send me the file so I can edit / compress it. Or do it yourself. Easy as software available from http://www.avs4you.com/ FREE!
    6. I give you some feedback and we begin an interactive process to do all or some of a) improve what you've already got b) learn BoomTech c) go the whole hog!
    Last edited by Putting Guru; 1st June 2011 at 12:13 PM.

If you've got any influence, at all, get him to use it with a video - please.
    no i dont
    Golflink
    Tour Edge Exotics 9*|Titleist pt15*|KingCobra sz 5w|Adams A2 5-P|Hogan 54*-Clev 900 60*-feel 64*|Scotty Studio Stainless Newport

Default Boomerang Putting Experiment - LIST of GPs

Here's my first list of guinea pigs for our Boom Putting Experiment.

In with instruction -

Mega
    Peppas - 50 putts per round
    IanO - putts per GIR is 2.21 over 12 rounds (last game on 21 May)
    Kingslayer33
    kpac
    Yoss
    Idigolfguy
    titleist
    Pieface - 33 putts per round

In, but still deciding -

goonie
    mudrat
    CobraSS
    grumpyguy
    tommyg
    TheTrueReview
    popper81
    Leftfoot75
    TourFit
    PeteyD

In, but going it alone -

Sorry if I've left anyone out, if you need adding just say. If you want your name to be moved from one list to another, just say. If you want to make the big boys table, send me a video. It doesn't matter how good, or bad it is. Just give us something to be going on with. Your putting stats, or some measurement of your putting would also be useful at this point, just to keep everything, above board.

Period: June 1-30.

http://www.youtube.com/my_playlists?p=DF623CC81C6377C8

The current youtube playlist. Only thing it's missing is Monty Move demo. Contact me when you get up to that and I'll add you to the watchlist. It's just a way of keeping track.
    Last edited by Putting Guru; 1st June 2011 at 01:39 PM.

no i dont
    Oh well...

This is way old! But, even though he hasn't got it set up my way, doesn't he do well!

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Pieface View Post

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

You ain't no chopper when you get on the green, mate.

You just chop it to get there though!!!

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Ok I think I probably average around 35 putts a round. Not sure what I had today but I rolled it the best I ever have and got everything past the hole by two or three feet. Pretty happy. Short ones need some work.

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

In with instruction -

Mega
    Kingslayer33
    kpac
    Yoss
    Idigolfguy
    titleist

In, but still deciding -

goonie
    mudrat
    CobraSS
    grumpyguy
    tommyg
    TheTrueReview
    popper81
    Leftfoot75
    TourFit
    PeteyD

In, but going it alone -

Sorry if I've left anyone out, if you need adding just say. If you want your name to be moved from one list to another, just say. If you want to make the big boys table, send me a video. It doesn't matter how good, or bad it is. Just give us something to be going on with. Your putting stats, or some measurement of your putting would also be useful at this point, just to keep everything, above board.

The current youtube playlist. Only thing it's missing is Monty Move demo. Contact me when you get up to that and I'll add you to the watchlist. It's just a way of keeping track.
    Im in but still trying to find a way to get you the vision??

OK ... here is my first shot at the Monty. It looks pretty weird to me. Not sure of effectiveness yet, but willing to give it a go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GJvGGaMEZY
    Golf is an ineffectual attempt to get an uncontrollable sphere into an inaccessible hole with instruments ill adapted to the purpose

Woods: Titleist 915 D2 10.5*,
    915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Titleist SM5 54/10* & 60/7*
    Putter:
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red
    Bag: Eagles & Birdies Links
    Bugy: Clickgear 3.5

Home Club: Kooringal
    Handicap
    Game Golf

AHA .. worked out how to do the embed thing. Ignore my post above.

OK ... here is my first shot at the Monty. It looks pretty weird to me. Not sure of effectiveness yet, but willing to give it a go.

PS. I don't like using the Boomerang on floorboards

Last edited by IanO; 1st June 2011 at 04:40 PM.
    Golf is an ineffectual attempt to get an uncontrollable sphere into an inaccessible hole with instruments ill adapted to the purpose

Woods: Titleist 915 D2 10.5*,
    915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Titleist SM5 54/10* & 60/7*
    Putter:
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red
    Bag: Eagles & Birdies Links
    Bugy: Clickgear 3.5

Home Club: Kooringal
    Handicap
    Game Golf

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

In with instruction -

Mega
    Kingslayer33
    kpac
    Yoss
    Idigolfguy
    titleist

In, but still deciding -

goonie
    mudrat
    CobraSS
    grumpyguy
    tommyg
    TheTrueReview
    popper81
    Leftfoot75
    TourFit
    PeteyD

In, but going it alone -

I have no video camera and have already been using the Boomerang for a couple of weeks so I should probably stay out of the experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

IanO, such a model student... what's the matter with the rest of you

Gotta love that open mind!

Hinge your elbow more, and your wrists not at all. At the moment you've got two hinges happening at the same time - that's not good. Predicting the outcome of one hinge is easy, two is more difficult. A case of too many moving parts. The shoulder controls the take away and through swing up to impact. Then the elbow takes over.

Your aim is to get the butt of the putter grip to hit you in the left side of your chest. Practice it without a ball. This shot can be taken away from the Boom, only need two or three to get an idea of where we're at.

You've seen the Monty Move drill, haven't you? If so, take a 10 second vid, modelling what Naomi does with the palm of her hand on her bicep. I'd really like to see that.

Damn fine first effort though!!!

The floor boards don't do it for me either. Way too noisy on the trip back. Get an off cut of carpet, or an old hall runner to put under your mat. don't spend more than a fiver though!
    Last edited by Putting Guru; 1st June 2011 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CobraSS View Post
    I have no video camera and have already been using the Boomerang for a couple of weeks so I should probably stay out of the experiment.
    You don't have to stay out all together. But you don't have a video function on your phone, or partner's phone? I can work with anything I can see and I'm not fussy. Low res, high res, HD... web cam... even my kid's Nintendo DS can take vid these days.

Your other option is to come in just as a before and after guinea pig. If you know your stats before you started, at least we'll have something to compare at the end of June. Feel free to ask any questions too. Only, it's so much easier when I can see what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    Im in but still trying to find a way to get you the vision??
    Where are we at on that? I just sent IanO's first micro SD card back yesterday. Snail mail works too, it just takes longer.

Id like to be a GP but have no stats, and have never recorded any stats, haven't played for 12 weeks due to injury, and can't play for maybe another few months. If I had to guess my putts per round I would say low to mid 30's.
    WITB
    Ping G430 LST 9 @10 - Tensei 1K Black 65S
    Titleist TSi2 16.5* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Ping G400 23.5 - Vista Pro 80 S or Ping i210 4 - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Ping i210 5-PW - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 60M -Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Odyssey 7S OG

Quote Originally Posted by goonie View Post
    Id like to be a GP but have no stats, and have never recorded any stats, haven't played for 12 weeks due to injury, and can't play for maybe another few months. If I had to guess my putts per round I would say low to mid 30's.
    I don't want to guess, but you can still contribute to the experiment. From memory I think you're out for another 3-4 weeks, is that right?

Well, in which case we just record your PPR for your rounds returning after injury. You might find that tells a story in itself, if I can teach you BT over that time, it will do. Especially if you reckon you were a 33-34PPR kind of golfer before you went in. (is that because you're a social player, or do you have a handicap?)

Anyhow, after such a long lay off, you would expect all your stats to blow out. If one of them actually didn't, or even went the other way, I'd be ringing Oprah, and asking her to come out retirement, just to tell her the story

Joking aside, you can still play a part, just send me a vid. I want to see a what a genuine 4 looks like!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

Feedback on your MM:

Hinge your elbow more, and your wrists not at all. At the moment you've got two hinges happening at the same time - that's not good. Predicting the outcome of one hinge is relatively easy, two or more is more way hard! A case of too many moving parts, and you just don't need them. The shoulder controls the take away and through swing up to impact. Then the elbow takes over.

Your aim is to get the butt of the putter grip to hit you in the left side of your chest. Practice it without a ball. This shot can be taken away from the Boom, only need two or three to get an idea of where we're at.

You've seen the Monty Move drill, haven't you? If so, take a 10 second vid, modelling what Naomi does with the palm of her hand on her bicep. I'd really like to see that. That's the drill part of the exercise.

Also, and this is the first time I've talked about this. I mention "cup of tea" in a few of our vids. It refers to the putter face being flat enough (laterally) to balance a cup of tea on it. That's what Nomi's trying to do here, just look at her finish -

And it is what I'm doing here, without manipulating the club, I might add...

Is my finish totally horizontal? No. But if you look at most strokes, exaggerated this much, when the shaft gets up to chest height, it's almost vertical. Compared to some of those, it's not hard to see why BT keeps the ball on line so well.

Now, if you shrink BT down to a more conventional size... has the penny dropped yet?
    Last edited by Putting Guru; 1st June 2011 at 08:51 PM.

Thread Information