Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 35 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

[QUOTE=MegaWatty;642956]The Claw nails four! First time. [QUOTE]

was it in a comp or social round Mega?

Video #3.

About half way in, there's one that almost goes sideways. Catches the LH rail and goes up the ramp. If you want to get more consistency, I can show you how to improve your line control out of sight, even with your existing stroke.
    Last edited by Putting Guru; 31st May 2011 at 11:49 AM.

What a much improved set up from #1 to this one, #4. Still have hands half an inch low, but look at the results!

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Putting Guru View Post
    Video #3.

About half way in, there's one that almost goes sideways. Catches the LH rail and goes up the ramp. If you want to get more consistency, I can show you how to improve your line control out of sight, even with your existing stroke.
    Your on .. what do I need to do?
    Golf is an ineffectual attempt to get an uncontrollable sphere into an inaccessible hole with instruments ill adapted to the purpose

Woods: Titleist 915 D2 10.5*,
    915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Titleist SM5 54/10* & 60/7*
    Putter:
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red
    Bag: Eagles & Birdies Links
    Bugy: Clickgear 3.5

Home Club: Kooringal
    Handicap
    Game Golf

What a much improved set up from #1 to this one, #4. Still have hands half an inch low, but look at the results!
    How do you know my hands are too low when you can't see them? (Not denying it mind you)
    Golf is an ineffectual attempt to get an uncontrollable sphere into an inaccessible hole with instruments ill adapted to the purpose

915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Putter:

Handicap
    Game Golf

[QUOTE=Putting Guru;643206]

Video #3.

Sorry, I've been so busy today!!!

Finally a bit of time to look at this vid in more detail.

It's easy to see in this clip that all your putts are dying left. As soon as you know what the Boom should be doing, you'll be able to sus this for yourself real quick but, until then, put a business card under the left leg. Do it soon too, because if you leave it like it is, you'll be second guessing every putt you hit. Just like you were in this clip. And that defeats the purpose.

For example...

P1 - going left off the putter, lucky to hit the rim and catch.
    P2 - also left off the putter, caused both balls to get trapped (next time use a 3rd ball to release one or both of the trapped balls and you won't have to change your set up), retrieved one ball.
    P3 - aimed right, hit it right, just to see if the last two lefties were your fault, or the break, discovered it was you.
    P4 - nice straight putt. Release as a result. Note that the extra force of the strike putt is what kept it on line. Didn't have time to take the break at the end.
    P6 - Almost a miss left off the putter, lucky to make the Boom, let alone bounce off the rim and go in! (you're getting good at those).
    P7 - Nice release! Easy to do when you know so much of your putt is straight.
    P8 - Very nice!
    P9 - Authority! Making it look easy now.
    P10 - Straight, but long. Where did your distance control go, you were on for three in a row?
    P11 - Off centre push, like you're trying to draw it in. Shouldn't have to!
    P12 - Straight putt, but tales left with the break.
    P13 - Tails left. By the end, I'm sure you can't figure out what you've done wrong. Answer - Nothing! Get your set up spot on, and you're laughing!

You are doing a great job figuring out how to beat this breaking putt. The only thing is, you shouldn't have to. Get a business card under the left leg. If one won't do it, try two. As soon as you get this bit right, that short-ass little stroke of yours should be deadly!

Anone else want to give a putt by putt on one of IanO's other vids.

--
    Last edited by Putting Guru; 31st May 2011 at 02:33 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Just got my boomerang system... ive set it up at the office. I'll bring the camera in tomorrow. The St Andrews mat seems bowed slightly which keeps my putts in the middle. Do i have it upside down?
    Nike VR Tour 9.5 with fubuki tour 73X
    RBZ Tour 14.5 with fubuki alpha 70X
    Adams A7 19H Axiv toour red 80x
    R9 TP B Stamps 3-P KBS tour s
    Yes 53 & 60
    Custom centre shaft scotty fastback

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    How do you know my hands are too low when you can't see them? (Not denying it mind you)
    Your hands are too low because that putter should be sitting horizontally. Look how much better you putt, when it is.

To make a perfect set up easier for you to achieve, first put a ball in your pocket, you'll find out why soon. Then, create an horizontal putter by putting your foot on the top of it, in the centre. Pretend it's set in stone as you put your hands back on, and slide down the grip until you find something that feels normal. The good news is you can have the best of both worlds here. Just slide down that grip until a) the putter is flat (check on your camera if you want), and b) your hands feel normal.

Now, notice how much putter is sticking out the top of your grip, and go get it cut down so it's the right size for you. One proviso, when you're set up with the putter horizontal, and your hands in your old comfort zone, Freeze! Then remove the ball that you have in your pocket and drop it from the bridge of your nose. If it hits dead center mat and putter - you're good to hack that sucker down to the correct size for you. You've just been custom fit, BTW. If it doesn't, it means your eyes are either inside, or outside so you're going to have lie issues, making the custom fitting more complex.
    Last edited by Putting Guru; 31st May 2011 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyg View Post
    Just got my boomerang system... ive set it up at the office. I'll bring the camera in tomorrow. The St Andrews mat seems bowed slightly which keeps my putts in the middle. Do i have it upside down?
    www.boomgolf.com/instructions.htm a must see! I know guys don't read this kind of stuff, but you'll save yourself so much time, as many aspects of the Boom are totally counter intuitive.

Small take away, big finish. Remind you of anything?

The other thing that seems counter-intuitive to me is that it seems you are saying that we should follow the ball (and club) with our eyes after impact, whereas what I have been told before is to keep your eyes down until the ball is at least a couple of metres away (keep head down and listen for ball to fall into the cup).

915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Putter:

Handicap
    Game Golf

... whereas what I have been told before is to keep your eyes down until the ball is at least a couple of metres away (keep head down and listen for ball to fall into the cup).
    Stuart Appleby is a great example of that.
    Last edited by TheTrueReview; 31st May 2011 at 08:32 PM.

... and TheTrueReview just pulled the trigger on the Boomerang + Carnoustie.

Hopefully the KoolAid stays yummy.

I figure if I hate the device it should still be a fun game when the mates are around.

Hopefully mine lobs in tomorrows mail
    Last edited by Pieface; 31st May 2011 at 08:48 PM. Reason: realised I had more than 1 mate
    Pieface, no longer the resident chopper, giant fweak. Lives in a pineapple under the sea
    witb?

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Your hands are too low because that putter should be sitting horizontally. Look how much better you putt, when it is.
    Be sure to tell Steve Stricker where he is going wrong.

What exactly is the difference between this product and putting into a schooner glass?
    Forum needs more banter.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    movin' to the country gunna eat me alot of peaches.

Pulled the trigger Sunday night..... Arrived today. Boom and a St Andrews. Thought I would hit some putts to wind down after the range. Just finished on the thing for now and best is 1 C&R.. Little frustrating but a tonne of fun. Since I have been back playing ( 3months ) I haven't had a round with more then 29 putts so I think I putt pretty well. My bad putt is a massive decel and left. Hoping a bit of work on this will remove that altogether..

Putting Guru, Thanks for the quick service!!!

Cheers

Popper

I did 4 C&R in a row a week or so ago and no one grilled me, who did you tick off Mega Haven't used it since
    WITB
    Ping G430 LST 9 @10 - Tensei 1K Black 65S
    Titleist TSi2 16.5* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Ping G400 23.5 - Vista Pro 80 S or Ping i210 4 - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Ping i210 5-PW - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 60M -Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Odyssey 7S OG

Quote Originally Posted by goonie View Post
    I did 4 C&R in a row a week or so ago and no one grilled me, who did you tick off Mega Haven't used it since
    It's the mod thing Goonie...

The other thing that seems counter-intuitive to me is that it seems you are saying that we should follow the ball (and club) with our eyes after impact, whereas what I have been told before is to keep your eyes down until the ball is at least a couple of metres away (keep head down and listen for ball to fall into the cup).
    That's a very good question, IanO. We all know keeping your head down is the accepted norm, right? Just as we know short and stabby is also the norm. How do we know? We know because it's often drummed into us, to stop us jerking our heads up too soon. It's accepted wisdom, one of the most popular putting tips out there. But, I also know that if you're following a smoothly travelling object with your eyes, there's no risk of jerking, because you've got a built-in pace setter, two in fact. Eyes can follow continuous motion easily, it's only when they have to jump between objects that you're effectively blind. This is how slight of hand or close up magic works.

OK, since we're stepping into controversy, here's something else I do which flies in the face of what most people do and teach. I open my stance, just like Jack Nicklaus. Why? because I know I've got a much better chance of accomplishing my task, if I can see it.

"Won't that throw your shoulders out of alignment?"

"Yup. Don't matter, not with BT. And I didn't say I do it all the time."

"But, but, but, but... ?"

Listen, my goal is to improve the putting of those people in this experiment, as measured by their performances on the Boom and on the course. My strategy has three parts. If I fail, I go down in flames, might as well go and throw my self into Laguna Bay and start swimming to NZ... But I don't plan to fail. I plan to teach you all the best stuff I've ever learned from hitting millions of putts on the Boom. I plan to achieve my goal, and here's how I plan to do it:

1. First - I want to improve your conventional stroke by making sure your putter fits you, and the job it needs to do. That will mean that even if you make no other adjustments, and have no desire to learn anything else, at least you'll get better at what you do anyway, by repetition and positive feedback. Hopefully everyone here will be able to see the merits of a neutral set up, just based on how consistently straighter the ball rolls up and down their Booms. I'm confident they will because I've been shipping Booms since '98 and been getting astonishing testimonials ever since - and that's with very limited video instruction and help from me.

2. Second - teach the Boomerang Technique (which is, after all, only a drill) to as many people who want to learn it as possible. Of course, after they do learn it, they're not under any obligation to use it on the course (for fear of being ridiculed ), but from my experience, it will rub off anyway, and in a positive way. I must have told you this story from Trent Park, but all it took was for one junior to start using his BoomTech on the course, and after that all we could hear in the pro shop on a Saturday afternoon was random shouts, in shrill voices, coming from everywhere - Boomerang! Boomerang! Boomerang! They'd shout as the little buggers started to drain everything they looked at.

3. Third - to share any and all info I've got with those that want to take the experiment to its limit. i.e. onto a putting green, extra tips, using it with the putter that was designed specifically for it etc (shameless plug for my putter BTW ). On that subject, I'm also hoping some of you guys who are up to the Monty Move will get over your shyness and post the video of your action for me to check / improve. I've never seen a more camera shy bunch in my life

IanO, I don't mind what group you are aiming for, I'd just say don't put any limits on yourself, if you don't have to. There's nothing here I can't easily teach you. Heck, I can even teach you to do it kneeling on a chair if you want. But remember, we have a self imposed deadline of June 30th. At that time everything will come out in the wash. We should all be able to see how each other's strokes compare to when they started. We should all be able to see clear as day who has made the most of their existing stroke, and who has mastered BT (you should know, because they'll be the one's wearing instructor's caps for getting 5-in-a-row). You can't buy an instructor's cap, so it has a bit of an intimidation factor about it.

At the end of this thing we should also have some numbers to crunch, and before and after videos to analyse - that's what I'm really looking forward to - empirical data!
    Last edited by Putting Guru; 1st June 2011 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrueReview View Post
    Stuart Appleby is a great example of that.
    My Top 3 list of those who badly need a Boom are Garcia, Appleby and Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by goonie View Post
    You're one off getting a cap - with a conventional stroke!!!!

Do yourself a favor...

My Top 3 list of those who badly need a Boom __ and Scott.
    He's got one
    Golflink
    Tour Edge Exotics 9*|Titleist pt15*|KingCobra sz 5w|Adams A2 5-P|Hogan 54*-Clev 900 60*-feel 64*|Scotty Studio Stainless Newport

Quote Originally Posted by kpac View Post
    He's got one
    I sent him one recently, after I saw how bad he'd got with his old putter, don't know if he's ever used it though. Don't think he could have, otherwise I reckon he would have ditched the broomy.
    Last edited by Putting Guru; 1st June 2011 at 11:18 AM.

The eagle has landed

Won't get to try it until late tonight or tomorrow tho'
    Pieface, no longer the resident chopper, giant fweak. Lives in a pineapple under the sea
    witb?

Quote Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
    The eagle has landed

Won't get to try it until late tonight or tomorrow tho'
    Do we know your pre-Boom putting stats? Are you on the record somewhere?

Thread Information