Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by spanner039 View Post
    Yes can’t remember to spin rate exactly- would have to set it up with the lowest loft and the heaviest shaft to reduce spin but then loose way to much in height to achieve anything - fwiw Yesterday I was 106mph & +4 AOA spin is a killer for any + AOA
    Could the +ve AoA and high spin be a result of hitting it low on the face?

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

More forgiving and straighter than any of the others but a good 15 behind the others and 25 behind my current setup. The fitter called it and said not for you i really wanted to make it work.
    Thought you were a JBean fanboy

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    Could the +ve AoA and high spin be a result of hitting it low on the face?
    No
    Driver- Slazenger Bruce Devlin 1 1/2
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Irons - 2-PW Keith Knox R700
    Wedges - Wilson Jerry Pate
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Thought you were a JBean fanboy
    no, I’m one of the few that its a perfect fit - it just works for me

will replace it as soon as I can find something better I was hoping the 425 was going to be it !!!!
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Local range had a Ping demo day yesterday. After some playing around I ended up trying the 425LST at 9 degrees with the Tensei Orange in X Stiff and I really like it, I have never played X flex before. A lot lower spin than my current set up, not sure if it is shaft or head or both. Got 245 carry out of it whereas I reckon 240 is the best I have ever carried previously.

Can't justify spending the cash at the moment but it did show me that my Skytrak numbers seem right, and convinced me I have to find a way to take spin out, just need to do it without spending near on a grand!

No
    So explain high spin with +4 AoA? Makes no sense.

So explain high spin with +4 AoA? Makes no sense.
    LST still spun at around 2600 Max spun around 2800+ and both launched high = loss of distance.

Mavrik, Sim, what ever the cobra was & tsi3 were 2300 - 2500 but were still launching high = added distance. With the TSI3 winning the distance battle, think cause i plainly hit it the best and has the most potential to make the bag.

A typical modern ping head - I like ping drivers and have had I15,G20,I20,i25 & G30 apart from the 15 they all spun

Tested outdoors with Pro VX's on a GC2
    Last edited by spanner039; 1st December 2020 at 05:30 AM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Well these are my thoughts from todays test of the Ping G425 Max....compared to my G410 SFT

Sound of the 425 seems a bit deeper sounding.

The 425, I seemed to loose a little bit of distance & lower flight.

Shaft used was the Hzrdus T110

Quote Originally Posted by rowey View Post
    Well these are my thoughts from todays test of the Ping G425 Max....compared to my G410 SFT

Sound of the 425 seems a bit deeper sounding.

The 425, I seemed to loose a little bit of distance & lower flight.

Shaft used was the Hzrdus T110
    so they only fit a minority, majority say they are pretty ordinary
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

so they only fit a minority, majority say they are pretty ordinary
    Yeah I wasn’t really convinced....

Quote Originally Posted by rowey View Post
    Yeah I wasn’t really convinced....
    Poor wording on my behalf. They seem to only fit slow or players that need spin - I’m sure the tour can could build me a monster though. But when almost all others can beat it out of the box why bother.
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

Poor wording on my behalf. They seem to only fit slow or players that need spin - I’m sure the tour can could build me a monster though. But when almost all others can beat it out of the box why bother.
    What constitutes a ‘slow’ player?

Swing speed am assuming you fall into this category or just need spin - not a lot of love for the 425 here
    Last edited by spanner039; 6th December 2020 at 04:46 PM.
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

I like mine FWIW. 107 SS and always spin way too much. Have the G425 LST. Was fitted into this vs mavrik SZ, SIM and the new titleist. The ping was miles better feel, launch and spin.

Each to their own though.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    I like mine FWIW. 107 SS and always spin way too much. Have the G425 LST. Was fitted into this vs mavrik SZ, SIM and the new titleist. The ping was miles better feel, launch and spin.

always great to get a solid match! It sure felt and sounded great
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

Swing speed am assuming you fall into this category or just need spin - not a lot of love for the 425 here

I actually fall into the similar category as Ron Burgundy, I generate a ton too much spin generally at around 110mph.

The change in ball flight with this driver speaks for itself for me. Ron could probably attest to what he saw last weekend.

I actually fall into the similar category as Ron Burgundy, I generate a ton too much spin generally at around 110mph. The change in ball flight with this driver speaks for itself for me. Ron could probably attest to what he saw last weekend.
    Don’t get too carried away, only one of them cracked 300. The rest were bunted up the middle 290-295.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

I actually fall into the similar category as Ron Burgundy, I generate a ton too much spin generally at around 110mph. The change in ball flight with this driver speaks for itself for me. Ron could probably attest to what he saw last weekend.
    Can you recall your carry, spin and AOA from the fitting ? Was about to respond to Ron with the same question.Fwiw I know you can smash it

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Don’t get too carried away, only one of them cracked 300. The rest were bunted up the middle 290-295.
    No 300+ on my watch.
    Pretty sure Bushy will implement more fairway sprinkler heads at Cairns GC.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Au contraire for me as well. Nothing about the Max remotely resembles high or even mid spin for me. Low-mid spin at the highest for moi with a beautiful launch and flight. I could go on and on but won't. The average Joe might have more trouble with spin being too low than high. Could well have happened to rowey.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Can you recall your carry, spin and AOA from the fitting ? Was about to respond to Ron with the same question.Fwiw I know you can smash it
    The trackman report I got sent after the fitting ended up with my old drivers vs the 3 woods I hit, not the drivers, so I don’t have the figures unfortunately. What it did show was that the SIM ti fairway went as far as my old drivers and I remember the 425 driver going well past it. I’d seen enough to buy one so didn’t bother asking for the right comparison.

299 was the best Arccos saw

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

107 mph swing speed, no wonder you’re the Champ!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNuclearOne View Post
    Au contraire for me as well. Nothing about the Max remotely resembles high or even mid spin for me. Low-mid spin at the highest for moi with a beautiful launch and flight. I could go on and on but won't. The average Joe might have more trouble with spin being too low than high. Could well have happened to rowey.
    Same results for me. I just changed from G400 to G425 Max 10.5 with reg shaft at 95mph swing (Chrissy present from wife). At first I struggled with lower launch 11-12* and lower spin 2000'ish....but ball ran a mile! So, went to Ping and spent an hour there to test setup options, and what I now have is 10.5* neutral setting with weight in Draw position AND I have raised my tee height which has been KEY for me with my standard level or just +ve AoA, spin is now around 2300-2500 from memory. Hits just above centre of the face just fly. Carry (compared to G400) went from 197m to 210 and average overall distance from 212 to 225 on their launch monitor. On my course I get around 220 and 245 on a nutted hit when I get slight draw!!. I have tried at higher loft settings and my carry went up quite a bit. The loft settings and weight position changes impact this driver quite a bit for me. Shot shaping is easy and I find the reg shaft in this new version to be a bit firmer than the one in my old G400, I feel I can now hit as hard as I like. And...love the feel/sound compared to older driver.

One complaint...the standard shaft is long and the end of the grip has the arccos sensor in it, so the last 1" of the grip feels horrible and rubbery. I removed the standard grip and removed the plastic counterweight in the butt and fitted a standard grip, overall swing weight did not change. Feels terrific now.
    Last edited by Stuartd147; 14th December 2020 at 09:39 PM.
    Ping G430 10K 10.5* Ping Tour 65S Shaft
    Royal Collection 18* 5 Wood
    Ping G425 3/4 Hybrid Stock Regular
    Cobra MIM King 4-GW PX LZ 5.5
    Ping Glide 3.0 56/60
    Scotty Newport

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Stuartd147 View Post
    Same results for me. I just changed from G400 to G425 Max 10.5 with reg shaft at 95mph swing (Chrissy present from wife). At first I struggled with lower launch 11-12* and lower spin 2000'ish....but ball ran a mile! So, went to Ping and spent an hour there to test setup options, and what I now have is 10.5* neutral setting with weight in Draw position AND I have raised my tee height which has been KEY for me with my standard level or just +ve AoA, spin is now around 2300-2500 from memory. Hits just above centre of the face just fly. Carry (compared to G400) went from 197m to 210 and average overall distance from 212 to 225 on their launch monitor. On my course I get around 220 and 245 on a nutted when I get slight draw!!. I have tried at higher loft settings and my carry went up quite a bit. The loft settings and weight position changes impact this driver quite a bit for me. Shot shaping is easy and I find the reg shaft in this new version to be a bit firmer than the one in my old G400, I feel I can now hit as hard as I like. And...love the feel/sound compared to older driver.

One complaint...the standard shaft is long and the end of the grip has the arccos sensor in it, so the last 1" of the grip feels horrible and rubbery. I removed the standard grip and removed the plastic counterweight in the butt and fitted a standard grip, overall swing weight did not change. Feels terrific now.
    I was happily surprised to see it spinning quite low after taking a gamble. Well struck hits do really fly as you say. I'm not even sure i have the best fitting shaft for me so have ordered a couple of tips.

Completely agree with the arccos. I reckon it adds 1/2". How did you remove the grip, cut it?
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Thread Information